OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I thought the 2 DLC >>>> main story the Witcher 3.

I loved especially Hearts of Stone. There was a good feeling of dread as it's a Faustian tale where you make a deal with the actual devil himself.

Blood and Wine DLC was huge too... and great for the whole Vampire army coming down to ravage a whole country narrative.

But the main story for the Witcher 3 was just ok.
I get to Skellige and the burnout hits me so hard I can't go back for a while, and then when I do I've completely lost what's going on.

Reactions: tenken00

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Blood and Wine is pretty much why I still play the game. Plus at that point you have your full grandmaster armor set,
and are totally OP.

Reactions: tenken00

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
EA will return to golf games with a new PGA Tour title

Meh. The 2K title will likely be something I get when I jump to Ps5, and another EA cash grab seems less appealing.

I thought the 2K golf game was trash.

It looks like a Ps3 game and it’s gameplay was this awful joystick scheme which was random and didn’t always work.

it’s a sad affair for golf games when Everybody’s golf/Hot Shots Golf is the best game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm playing the 2K golf game now and it's... ok. Seems kind of clunky and inconsistent, especially when it comes to irons and putting. And maybe I'm just not very good but changing the loft angles doesn't have the same effect as you'd think it would.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Interesting. I thought early reviews were good. I'll wait anyway. T hanks.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It looks pretty and I like how lively the shots are, you can really use the whole green on an approach, but...

Those swing mechanics look like they did when it was, uh, whatever brand of golf game it was before 2K bought it, the Club or the Player's Club or something like that. Read that the career mode was shallow and that was it for me, redownloaded EA McIlroy and I'll wait.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I still have Rory golf from when the PS4 came out so squatting on that still.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm playing the 2K golf game now and it's... ok. Seems kind of clunky and inconsistent, especially when it comes to irons and putting. And maybe I'm just not very good but changing the loft angles doesn't have the same effect as you'd think it would.

I find I almost never have to change loft angle.

It’s not all that difficult once you nail the wind adjustments and green reads. I’m dominating my first season.....got a little bored given how damn buggy it is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It looks pretty and I like how lively the shots are, you can really use the whole green on an approach, but...

Those swing mechanics look like they did when it was, uh, whatever brand of golf game it was before 2K bought it, the Club or the Player's Club or something like that. Read that the career mode was shallow and that was it for me, redownloaded EA McIlroy and I'll wait.

it’s gorgeous, but yeah they’re lazy on swing mechanics in many shot scenarios. How many full swing chips do you see from 2 inches on the fringe in real life lol?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Don't know anything about this game/franchise but it looks cool.

So I've been MIA from the Caps lately because my PS5 arrived and I've been playing the crap out of it. I started Outriders over the weekend with a bunch of buddies, and I've been having a blast on it. It's really good online co-op and I've never laughed so hard in awhile.

The story is typical sci-fi stuff but I think it's really interesting (but I love sci-fi stuff so take that with a grain of salt :laugh:)... it's pretty campy, and the acting and lines are pretty bad sometimes.. but so bad that it's good kind of thing haha. But like Destiny/Borderlands/The Division type of games, the game really begins once you pass the story and get max (regular 30) level and then things open up. The shooting is satisfying, the skills are pretty cool, and they complement with your party really well if you know what you are doing. It was a lot of fun in a party, more than solo. And finding a random party was really easy with their setup.

There is no PVP to it, just straight mowing down massive hordes. And there are a LOT of them. I think crossplay is not yet ready between consoles and PC, but I think it is supposed to be up soon. Meanwhile, you can crossplay between ALL consoles right now, no matter if its next-gen or last-gen, or X-box and Playstation. When they allow PC and console games crossplay, it will be one giant hub with players of all types and platforms playing together. Which is pretty cool.

The servers were kinda wonky at the start of the weekend, but it was smooth sailing by last night.

You should try it if you like those types of games.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So I've been MIA from the Caps lately because my PS5 arrived and I've been playing the crap out of it. I started Outriders over the weekend with a bunch of buddies, and I've been having a blast on it. It's really good online co-op and I've never laughed so hard in awhile.

The story is typical sci-fi stuff but I think it's really interesting (but I love sci-fi stuff so take that with a grain of salt :laugh:)... it's pretty campy, and the acting and lines are pretty bad sometimes.. but so bad that it's good kind of thing haha. But like Destiny/Borderlands/The Division type of games, the game really begins once you pass the story and get max (regular 30) level and then things open up. The shooting is satisfying, the skills are pretty cool, and they complement with your party really well if you know what you are doing. It was a lot of fun in a party, more than solo. And finding a random party was really easy with their setup.

There is no PVP to it, just straight mowing down massive hordes. And there are a LOT of them. I think crossplay is not yet ready between consoles and PC, but I think it is supposed to be up soon. Meanwhile, you can crossplay between ALL consoles right now, no matter if its next-gen or last-gen, or X-box and Playstation. When they allow PC and console games crossplay, it will be one giant hub with players of all types and platforms playing together. Which is pretty cool.

The servers were kinda wonky at the start of the weekend, but it was smooth sailing by last night.

Good review, thanks. I'm a big Borderlands fan so this looks similar and promising.

I don't generally do multiplayer online. Is the single player campaign said to be good?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Good review, thanks. I'm a big Borderlands fan so this looks similar and promising.

I don't generally do multiplayer online. Is the single player campaign said to be good?

I think it's pretty good. It just released this past Friday I think? So I am nowhere near the end and can't give you a full review, but it's definitely much easier multi than solo just for the fact that you have someone else taking aggro and giving you a breather.

Also interesting is that you can select the world difficulty. You not only gain in levels, but also world difficulty. So you can auto-set your difficulty tier as you level that up, or you can set it back down to a lower tier if it becomes too difficult. But the harder your tier is, the better loot drops and higher weapons/armor bonus equip levels you can use.

Reactions: g00n

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Loved The Division games but never really had a crew to run with. Still found it fun, though. Is Outriders still a good time if you have to go it alone?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Loved The Division games but never really had a crew to run with. Still found it fun, though. Is Outriders still a good time if you have to go it alone?

I played a little of Division 2 (since it's a Washington DC map), but for some reason that game gave me motion sickness to the point where I had to lay down if I played it for awhile. Some games do that to me and I don't know exactly why.

So basically like all online looter/shooters (The Division/Borderlands/Destiny), there is a pretty lengthy main story campaign, that you can do solo or multi. You can have fun doing it solo or multi, it's pretty fast paced. More faster than The Division. I'm still in this part, but I've read that once you finish the story missions then the game opens up into expeditions and other end game content, which you can also solo, but this is where it gets really hard and is much more easier in a party.

The main story missions are around 40 hours long, so that's quite a bit of content anyways. And the multi side aspect of the main story missions are non-invasive/detrimental. People can drop in and out of your game (if you leave it default open). You don't have to speak with them. There is no penalty or anything. They just come in for a certain mission and you just wreck stuff together.

But really, these types of games are much more enjoyable with 3 in a party. Maybe if you and @g00n really do wanna play, I'll make a new character and join you guys.

Edit: Disclaimer - I'm not sure I can play on a lowbie character that much if I'm with my friends :laugh: But during free time, sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'm going to say it: Rise of the Tomb Raider might be a better game than Uncharted 4. I'm playing both those games back 2 back, and I'm noticing that Tomb Raider, while it doesn't have quite the graphics of UC4, has far more interesting gameplay (including a great stealth option that UC4 doesn't have) and boasts far more challenging puzzles as well. As great as the graphics and story are in UC4, the puzzles are just far too obvious and easy.

The Tomb Raider series is very underrated, you should give all 3 games a chance.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Valheim has consumed my gaming life for the last month. I'm a few days away from having all the best gear, and will probably finish off the (current) final boss this week.

I will definitely go back to it once more content rolls in.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Valheim has consumed my gaming life for the last month. I'm a few days away from having all the best gear, and will probably finish off the (current) final boss this week.

I will definitely go back to it once more content rolls in.

man ... so I look up Valheim and it looks awesome. Vikings, free range world, crafting shit, hunting .. then read it probably wont ever be on x box.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just out of curiosity, for owners of the PS5, how is the backwards compatability looking? Are you able to
play all your PS4 games on the machine?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just downloaded Horizon Zero Dawn for free from PS. I may start it soon.

This Batman game is getting boring. Visually and technically it's great but like RDR2 I find myself not wanting to play it. The way the game is structured is just not doing it for me. And since I abhor driving games, timed missions, and chase gimmicks there's a triple whammy built in via the Batmobile overfocus. Meh. Maybe I'm just too old to be playing it.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well parts of it are broken on launch but I still can't stop playing The Show now that it's on Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad