OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I need a game to play on PlayStation. Burned out with the Assassin’s Creed/Ghosts of Tsushima model. Any suggestions?

It's been a while since I recommended Celeste and Hollow Knight.

Celeste is still probably my favorite game of the past few years, with Hollow Knight a close second.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I’m kind of open to whatever, would be fine trying something new. Have been playing a lot of Rogue Company, NHL 21, and Fall Guys so preferably something with a story. Loved The Division and The Division 2 previously.

Since you are looking for a Playstation game in particular.. its an old game, but have you played Horizon Zero Dawn? I'm asking because I know you got the PS5 and one of the titles marketed for the new console is the sequel to it, HZD: Forbidden West coming out supposedly this year.

It's an action RPG, heavy emphasis on the action, with a cool story that I really enjoyed. Story is about humanity in the distant future after an apocalypse destroyed the world, so it's a blend of ancient human tribal civilization and futuristic tech. And no one knows what caused the apocalypse or what the catastrophe even was after thousands of years where all knowledge was wiped. But you start finding that out on your own as the center of the story.

Just trying to think of something that is open world 3rd person but something unique from Assassin's Creed/Ghosts of Tsushima and also has a cool story, and I think this fits the bill if you haven't played it yet.

Edit: oh they also have a PC port for the game if you would rather PC, but I've heard that the PC port isn't great. Sony doesn't have much experience porting their own IP/games anyways, and this was a first for them. It's probably best experienced on PS5 with the graphics update.

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I need a game to play on PlayStation. Burned out with the Assassin’s Creed/Ghosts of Tsushima model. Any suggestions?

Ive played Red Dead Redemption 2 for over a year now, on my 3rd go through. Im not a video game guy and dont do the online but I found a life hack.

My family knows that on Thursday nights at 9 pm and Saturday nights at like 10:30 ish pm .. I get left alone to drink beers and play RDR2. Its nice to know you have that quiet time.

Highly recommend RDR2. So much to do, such good game play. Tonight im probably going to wander around some snowy mountains looking for bears, maybe run into a stranger or a group of bandits. Theres this bandit hideout I might sit back and try and snip off from a cliff.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I’m kind of open to whatever, would be fine trying something new. Have been playing a lot of Rogue Company, NHL 21, and Fall Guys so preferably something with a story. Loved The Division and The Division 2 previously.

Not a big Division-style game fan, but had to get Division 2 - for the map. Running around an accurate map of DC was fun and a bit surreal - I went to the corner my friends and I watched the Cup parade. Just had to.

(Also, remember the Cup parade? Because the Caps won the Cup? That was cool.)

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Since you are looking for a Playstation game in particular.. its an old game, but have you played Horizon Zero Dawn? I'm asking because I know you got the PS5 and one of the titles marketed for the new console is the sequel to it, HZD: Forbidden West coming out supposedly this year.

It's an action RPG, heavy emphasis on the action, with a cool story that I really enjoyed. Story is about humanity in the distant future after an apocalypse destroyed the world, so it's a blend of ancient human tribal civilization and futuristic tech. And no one knows what caused the apocalypse or what the catastrophe even was after thousands of years where all knowledge was wiped. But you start finding that out on your own as the center of the story.

Just trying to think of something that is open world 3rd person but something unique from Assassin's Creed/Ghosts of Tsushima and also has a cool story, and I think this fits the bill if you haven't played it yet.

Edit: oh they also have a PC port for the game if you would rather PC, but I've heard that the PC port isn't great. Sony doesn't have much experience porting their own IP/games anyways, and this was a first for them. It's probably best experienced on PS5 with the graphics update.

@AlexBrovechkin8

Don't buy it though!

Because this just dropped:

Sony is giving away Horizon Zero Dawn and a bundle of great indie games for free

Horizon Zero Dawn will be free to own beginning on April 19th at 8PM PT / 11PM ET and through May 14th; the game is one of the few PS4 exclusives missing from the PlayStation Plus Collection, though that paid offer required both a PS5 and a PlayStation Plus subscription. Getting Horizon completely for free now may be good timing for PlayStation owners, too, as the highly anticipated sequel, Forbidden West, is slated to launch on PS4 and PS5 sometime this year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ive played Red Dead Redemption 2 for over a year now, on my 3rd go through. Im not a video game guy and dont do the online but I found a life hack.

My family knows that on Thursday nights at 9 pm and Saturday nights at like 10:30 ish pm .. I get left alone to drink beers and play RDR2. Its nice to know you have that quiet time.

Highly recommend RDR2. So much to do, such good game play. Tonight im probably going to wander around some snowy mountains looking for bears, maybe run into a stranger or a group of bandits. Theres this bandit hideout I might sit back and try and snip off from a cliff.
So funny... RDR1 is one of my all-time favorites but I could not for the life of me get into RDR2. I thought they jumped the shark and it was so big and spaced out that I spent 90% of my time traveling or preparing to do something and it was more frustrating than enjoyable. It's @g00n's favorite game though :naughty:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
@AlexBrovechkin8

Don't buy it though!

Because this just dropped:

Sony is giving away Horizon Zero Dawn and a bundle of great indie games for free

Horizon Zero Dawn will be free to own beginning on April 19th at 8PM PT / 11PM ET and through May 14th; the game is one of the few PS4 exclusives missing from the PlayStation Plus Collection, though that paid offer required both a PS5 and a PlayStation Plus subscription. Getting Horizon completely for free now may be good timing for PlayStation owners, too, as the highly anticipated sequel, Forbidden West, is slated to launch on PS4 and PS5 sometime this year.
I actually saw this last night when I was googling HZD, pretty pumped. I have never in my life been into Final Fantasy but I might check out FFVII Remastered since I hear it's terrific (and free).

Reactions: twabby

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So funny... RDR1 is one of my all-time favorites but I could not for the life of me get into RDR2. I thought they jumped the shark and it was so big and spaced out that I spent 90% of my time traveling or preparing to do something and it was more frustrating than enjoyable. It's @g00n's favorite game though :naughty:

LOL

I've had a few "maybe I should've given it more time...I wonder if I still have my old save data" moments but then I think about sitting around brewing video game coffee and I'm like "nah, pass".

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I actually saw this last night when I was googling HZD, pretty pumped. I have never in my life been into Final Fantasy but I might check out FFVII Remastered since I hear it's terrific (and free).

I enjoyed it, but since I was a fanboy of the original FF7 when it came out when I was young being wowed and amazed on the PS1 (haha).. I don't like all the choices that they made...

But for those new to the game, it's probably great!

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So I took a day off from work just because of the supposed massive Amazon PS5 restock drop today... and still nothing.. wth

Between trying to get a PS5 and a GeForce 3080, I'm getting frustrated...

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Has anyone played through Cyberpunk yet? I’m like 40-50% finished with it and just kind of stopped playing it for over a month and wondered if it was even worth continuing.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Has anyone played through Cyberpunk yet? I’m like 40-50% finished with it and just kind of stopped playing it for over a month and wondered if it was even worth continuing.

I beat it awhile ago. The storyline is pretty cool, and it's really short. Some of the side missions are fun, but the majority of the side missions are not (like most games). If you just stopped playing it, I would just speed through the story and be done with it then since its not long. If you do feel like you are enjoying the game as a whole, then worry about the side stuff whenever you want.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So I took a day off from work just because of the supposed massive Amazon PS5 restock drop today... and still nothing.. wth

Between trying to get a PS5 and a GeForce 3080, I'm getting frustrated...

update:

Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com

I have, and there are some parts that are worth it, but overall the game feels...hollow to me. Expecting another Witcher 3 was too much, but it just seems like it's missing a lot. (Also: horrible inventory system, no style system in a genre predicated on style, no actual companions, etc.)

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I liked Cyberpunk a lot, but I'm kind of a sucker for sci-fi FPSRPGs. Speaking of which, Prey is on Gamepass now and it's excellent. Play it if you haven't.

Valheim is taking almost all of my gaming time now. It's the old school RPG that I need once in a while. I do with there was a little less focus on crafting, but I'm making it work so I can keep taking down trolls and expanding my base.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really enjoy the cyberpunk genre, and Cyberpunk 2077 fits the aesthetic pretty darn well. But my impression from the E3 a few years ago came true. It's more of a Grand Theft Auto: Night City than it is a legitimate successor to Cyberpunk 2020.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I have, and there are some parts that are worth it, but overall the game feels...hollow to me. Expecting another Witcher 3 was too much, but it just seems like it's missing a lot. (Also: horrible inventory system, no style system in a genre predicated on style, no actual companions, etc.)

Witcher 3 .. ive tried getting into this game but just cant. Its definitely a "me" problem bc everyone highly recommends it.
Ive gotten maybe 4 hours into it and up to the point you kill a griffin type monster.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Interesting tidbit at the bottom of the article regarding their subscription model. Looks like they are changing it so you don’t have to pay for online services if the game you are playing is free (like Apex, Fortnite, Warzone, etc.) which would be awesome

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not just you - I'm similar in that I've started it many times, but not gotten very far. Not sure why.

I liked it but never finished it. Got right up to the last battle and stopped.

Lots of abilities and story development to look forward to, tho. Have to give it some time imo

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I thought the 2 DLC >>>> main story the Witcher 3.

I loved especially Hearts of Stone. There was a good feeling of dread as it's a Faustian tale where you make a deal with the actual devil himself.

Blood and Wine DLC was huge too... and great for the whole Vampire army coming down to ravage a whole country narrative.

But the main story for the Witcher 3 was just ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad