OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
My PC rebuild went well. Everything started up again, on the first pass. The Arctic boys make a really good AIO but it's not the most intuitive thing in the world. All's well, though. Strong Cinebench R23 multi-core scores with the 5800X (15,267 at stock, 16 threads versus 8,732 on my 9700K machine). I might work on some fan profiles.

Now I just need a RTX 3080 to shake loose one of these days and pick one up haha.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I want to start recording my kids playing sports. Any recommendations for hand held video recorders?
You've come to the thread where we discuss sitting on our butts playing video games to ask suggestions about going outside? Heresy!

More seriously, I'm no expert, but most high end digital cameras also get great video these days. Unless you're aiming at producing 4K content or starting a YouTube career, I think most people just use quality digital cameras to record video. Or their phones.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Let me know how much random bloatware comes installed on your pre-built machine. I can't stand how much is on my HP laptop, and it's partially why I've preferred to stay away from pre-built systems as much as possible.

The RAM shortage is certainly a contributing factor to the high GPU prices, but so are bots and scalpers on the demand side. Cryptominers and other scalpers scooping up any supply as soon as it appears, before gamers or other consumers can get their hands on it. The supply chain is being hammered from both sides on this one.

Previous cyberpowerpc systems I had never had any extra software but will let you know (sometimes I would order them without windows installed). The Dell Alienware (2070maxQ) and the Acer Predator (gtx 1660 ti) laptops I picked up last year did not have much either was kinda surprised.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You've come to the thread where we discuss sitting on our butts playing video games to ask suggestions about going outside? Heresy!

More seriously, I'm no expert, but most high end digital cameras also get great video these days. Unless you're aiming at producing 4K content or starting a YouTube career, I think most people just use quality digital cameras to record video. Or their phones.
Hey video is in the thread title so I thought I’d give it a shot. ;)

I know high end cameras can do it but I am trying to avoid the high cost that comes with high end. I’ve run into a couple palm size recorders that are around $75 on Amazon but wanted to see if someone on here had any recommendations before I gamble $75 on something that came up on a search on Amazon.

Then again maybe high end camera is the way to go. Anyone have suggestions in that direction?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
WH: I've some experience with photography-focused cameras, not video, but mainly restricted to the high-end prosumer for a number of years. If you're interested in mirrorless cameras that can take swappable lenses, you might look at Sony. They went big for mirrorless before the others and still maintain a lead, although Canon is coming for them fast. If you would be alright with point-and-shoot cameras that have a video focus, the Panasonic Lumix series is well regarded. Canon also has a range of affordable options in this area called PowerShot. Most options today try to give you 4K, while all should give you 1080p. Most of those are a few hundred dollars, though. For sub-$100 pricing, I don't know, man. At that point, your existing camera phone is a very good option. Maybe look at tripods and such, designed for phones.

Usiel: My experience with a CyberPowerPC in about 2016 or so was that bloatware was very minimal. A pleasant surprise.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
WH: I've some experience with photography-focused cameras, not video, but mainly restricted to the high-end prosumer for a number of years. If you're interested in mirrorless cameras that can take swappable lenses, you might look at Sony. They went big for mirrorless before the others and still maintain a lead, although Canon is coming for them fast. If you would be alright with point-and-shoot cameras that have a video focus, the Panasonic Lumix series is well regarded. Canon also has a range of affordable options in this area called PowerShot. Most options today try to give you 4K, while all should give you 1080p. Most of those are a few hundred dollars, though. For sub-$100 pricing, I don't know, man. At that point, your existing camera phone is a very good option. Maybe look at tripods and such, designed for phones.

Usiel: My experience with a CyberPowerPC in about 2016 or so was that bloatware was very minimal. A pleasant surprise.
Thanks for the response. One of the $75 ones I found is a Lumix so I might give that a shot. Then again, having a real camera that takes pictures and video would be cool as well.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Should be getting a new system late this week or early next week. Decided not to build this one myself so went with trusty cyberpowerpc.com which I have used for several systems the past 15 years or so.

Usually I do not upgrade the GPU but this time I 'really' wanted a 3080. And getting them with a new system build about the only way it seems. Mainly went with the amd because of the Dual PCIe 4.0 M.2 and rocket lake was not out yet so were still gen 3.

• ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) ATX w/ RGB, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
  • 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3600MHz Dual Channel Memory, GSKILL Trident Z RGB
  • AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X 3.7GHz [4.8GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Total Cache 105W Processor
  • CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 360mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate
  • Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
  • 500GB WD BLACK SN850 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7000/4100 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 810/680k
  • LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case [Razer Edition] w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Tempered glass on the front & side
  • 6X 120mm Phanteks SK120 Digital RGB PWM FAN - high airflow nine-blade 500-1500 RPM Radiator Fans
  • Free 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD
  • GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere)
  • Professional Wiring + [Red] Phanteks Premium Extension Cables sleeved set [24Pin MB + 8Pin CPU + 6+2 Pin VGA]
Will be very tempted to pick up an LG Oled for a gaming monitor. The little 15" alienware 4k Oled screen laptop I have looks ridiculously good. Makes even non-eye candy games now eye candy, heh. Picked up a big new desk in the fall but still have not hauled it over from my parents house to setup as it will be extreme pain in the ass based on the entry way to my bed room neither the new or old desk can make it in or out with them being taken apart and tight space in the bedroom. Rather have the new desk in to see what the practical area I'm working with before deciding on something big like an LG Oled monitor. Primary gaming monitor is still an Asus PG348Q. Am slightly tempted by that Samsung G9 Odyssey.

Will be interesting to have to two operational Desktops usually the old one is retired. Been triple boxing with Eve Online with three Omega characters (desktop, 2 laptops). Also have an Acer K272HUL monitor for the work laptop.

lian_li_pc_o11d_razer_dynamic_chassis_body_secc_1560599.jpg

“Triple boxing”.....lol....you’re a sick man....I love it lol....

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Rebuilt my rebuild. Wasn't happy with the noise from my case, including a pump whine from the Arctic AIO, which is high performance but rough around the edges for me. All told:
  • Ripped out my SATA 2.5" SSDs.
  • Cloned my OS to a new Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD for boot and gaming.
  • Also installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB Gen3 M.2 SSD for gaming.
  • A 6TB WD Black HDD and a 8TB WD Green HDD are in there for file storage.
  • Ripped out the Phanteks case fans and replaced them with two 140mm BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 airflow-focused intake fans at the front.
  • Replaced the Arctic AIO with a reliable 240mm Corsair H100i AIO, which I really like, top-mounted with its two fans in a push configuration, exhausting air through the radiator out the top of the case. The case has slightly positive pressure.
The case is delivering very quiet noise levels and exactly the same cooling, as far as I can tell. The Ryzen 7 5800X CPU idles at 35 degrees C at stock settings, with XMP profiles enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I gave in and bought Valheim. It's not much to look at, but it nails the early explore-harvest-build-explore loop.

Reactions: tenken00

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Rebuilt my rebuild. Wasn't happy with the noise from my case, including a pump whine from the Arctic AIO, which is high performance but rough around the edges for me. All told:
  • Ripped out my SATA 2.5" SSDs.
  • Cloned my OS to a new Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD for boot and gaming.
  • Also installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB Gen3 M.2 SSD for gaming.
  • A 6TB WD Black HDD and a 8TB WD Green HDD are in there for file storage.
  • Ripped out the Phanteks case fans and replaced them with two 140mm BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 airflow-focused intake fans at the front.
  • Replaced the Arctic AIO with a reliable 240mm Corsair H100i AIO, which I really like, top-mounted with its two fans in a push configuration, exhausting air through the radiator out the top of the case. The case has slightly positive pressure.
The case is delivering very quiet noise levels and exactly the same cooling, as far as I can tell. The Ryzen 7 5800X CPU idles at 35 degrees C at stock settings, with XMP profiles enabled.

no visual evidence?! ;) Sounds awesome!

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
no visual evidence?! ;) Sounds awesome!
Haha, no. It's a black lozenge with no RGB. Clean, though, and plenty of room for airflow. Every mid-tower case gets designed to fit a full custom liquid cooling rig now, so when you just use an AIO, top mounted, there's just tons of empty space up front. It doesn't help that I have a short GTX 1080in there at the moment. It does mean no obstructions for airflow through a mesh front.

Really just waiting for those RTX 3080s to get back in stock, but it could be six months. My 2080 Super is doing fine for the moment, but that's not the point, haha.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tiger signs to get back into the video golf world with 2k1....maybe they can provide a debugged product next year....

I’ve never played a console game so buggy....frustrating because I love it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Saw an ad for The Show on my Xbox, didn't know that was a thing until then. I am over the moon about this.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I need a game to play on PlayStation. Burned out with the Assassin’s Creed/Ghosts of Tsushima model. Any suggestions?

I'm in Act 3 of Ghost and trying to rush through to get to Arkham Knight. Looks good. A bit older, just never got around to it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I need a game to play on PlayStation. Burned out with the Assassin’s Creed/Ghosts of Tsushima model. Any suggestions?

Any particular type or genre of game you got in mind? Or particular enjoy that's not AC/sandbox style?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I gave in and bought Valheim. It's not much to look at, but it nails the early explore-harvest-build-explore loop.

Seems like a lot of people are really into Valheim. They are trying to suck me in by saying it's like social matureish Minecraft.. I think they just want me to be their peon and punch wood for them.. lol

Reactions: Devil Dancer

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Any particular type or genre of game you got in mind? Or particular enjoy that's not AC/sandbox style?
I’m kind of open to whatever, would be fine trying something new. Have been playing a lot of Rogue Company, NHL 21, and Fall Guys so preferably something with a story. Loved The Division and The Division 2 previously.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My progress in Ghost has slowed to a crawl, partly due to life schedule and partly because it's so relentlessly f***ing depressing. Yet somehow supposedly it's got a completion rate of over 50% among gamers which is supposedly good.

I've also maxxed out the gear and techniques so that's usually when I start getting bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad