OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just downloaded Horizon Zero Dawn for free from PS. I may start it soon.

This Batman game is getting boring. Visually and technically it's great but like RDR2 I find myself not wanting to play it. The way the game is structured is just not doing it for me. And since I abhor driving games, timed missions, and chase gimmicks there's a triple whammy built in via the Batmobile overfocus. Meh. Maybe I'm just too old to be playing it.
Same, I’m going to start it next week. I think it was @tenken00 that recommended it.

Reactions: tenken00

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The sequel to Horizon should be out some time now, probably during the summer or the fall.
THE game I'm looking forward to this year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Waiting to start the first ZHD until I finish Batman AK main story line. Just decided to ignore the side quests unless I need them for leveling. Way too much shit thrown in there to extend gameplay and not enough time to deal with it all. You can only blast so many mini-tanks or solve "riddles" that are really just timed obstacle courses.

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
having fun with the Enlisted open beta on PC. Being a f2p game its gindy as hell unless you pay for exp bonus' etc. Upgrades system and stuff is a bit confusing as well

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I hope to get a better videocard in 2022.
Haha, same. I picked up a 2080 Super in spring 2020 and I've gone from thinking I might not get very much use out of it to being really, really happy to have it now. In the end, I'll probably get two plus years out of it as my go-to gaming card.

It's going to tide me over until this insanity dies down a bit. At this point, I'm probably looking at getting a 3080 TI, 3080 Super, or a 40xx series card, though, at this time next year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
About six hours into Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm digging it. Pretty interesting storyline.

It does feel a little bit like Assassin's Creed though with there being some kind of link between the past and the future that the main character has to figure out. Haven't gotten far enough into the storyline but it seems very similar to Assassin's Creed Odyssey in that the main character is someone set out to discover some ancient mystery or power. I also wouldn't be surprised if this "ancient" setting is actually the future after a failed human experiment/experience, or I could be completely wrong.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
About six hours into Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm digging it. Pretty interesting storyline.

It does feel a little bit like Assassin's Creed though with there being some kind of link between the past and the future that the main character has to figure out. Haven't gotten far enough into the storyline but it seems very similar to Assassin's Creed Odyssey in that the main character is someone set out to discover some ancient mystery or power. I also wouldn't be surprised if this "ancient" setting is actually the future after a failed human experiment/experience, or I could be completely wrong.
I'm pretty sure some of your spoiler thoughts were addressed in pre-release statements and videos.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I had seen nothing about the game until @tenken00 told me to play it. Literally had never heard of it before I downloaded it.

HZD had a pretty big release, but that was a long long time ago now. The sequel was supposed to be the big title for the PS5 opening months, but there is still no word on when that will be. Supposedly 2021 though, so soon. Hopefully... haha.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
HZD had a pretty big release, but that was a long long time ago now. The sequel was supposed to be the big title for the PS5 opening months, but there is still no word on when that will be. Supposedly 2021 though, so soon. Hopefully... haha.

It seems like it was big when it came out but I'm pretty out of the loop on that stuff. I mostly stick to FIFA and NHL but I'm trying to branch out. Spent about 80 hours on Assassin's Creed Odyssey but got board with it after I finished the main story and a lot of the side missions. It really is a tedious and repetitive game after a while. Loved The Division and The Division II and got to Level 500 in TDII but got bored with that since as I got further and further along I felt I was spending 75% of my time on inventory and upgrade stuff.

Really liked Ghost of Tsushima and I like HZD a lot but know I will get bored of it too eventually since it's pretty much all the same game just repackaged in a different setting with different characters.

Maybe I just don't have the patience for all that stuff in my (relatively) older age. I like the shorter, competitive match aspect of FIFA, NHL, etc. I actually really dig Rogue Company because I like that you can just drop in and play a few matches and then go about your day. With work and a family I find I really don't have time to invest in the long-form games any more. I absolutely hated Red Dead Redemption 2 which was a shame since I was really looking forward to it.

Now I'm wondering if I should go read about or watch some stuff of HZD or if I should stay in blissful ignorance and just see what happens as I play through it.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It seems like it was big when it came out but I'm pretty out of the loop on that stuff. I mostly stick to FIFA and NHL but I'm trying to branch out. Spent about 80 hours on Assassin's Creed Odyssey but got board with it after I finished the main story and a lot of the side missions. It really is a tedious and repetitive game after a while. Loved The Division and The Division II and got to Level 500 in TDII but got bored with that since as I got further and further along I felt I was spending 75% of my time on inventory and upgrade stuff.

Really liked Ghost of Tsushima and I like HZD a lot but know I will get bored of it too eventually since it's pretty much all the same game just repackaged in a different setting with different characters.

Maybe I just don't have the patience for all that stuff in my (relatively) older age. I like the shorter, competitive match aspect of FIFA, NHL, etc. I actually really dig Rogue Company because I like that you can just drop in and play a few matches and then go about your day. With work and a family I find I really don't have time to invest in the long-form games any more. I absolutely hated Red Dead Redemption 2 which was a shame since I was really looking forward to it.

Now I'm wondering if I should go read about or watch some stuff of HZD or if I should stay in blissful ignorance and just see what happens as I play through it.

Nah stay blissfully ignorant lol. That's always the best. What you don't know in life can't hurt ya :laugh:

And I'm not sure if that's true about you and these types of games. You did finish The Last of Us 2 pretty fast if I remember correctly. Just need something to grab you is all.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I liked in HZD reading small stories about epic battles from the past.
Imagine humanity fighting these things o_O
48928647163_5f2c1e38e5_b.jpg

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Haha, same. I picked up a 2080 Super in spring 2020 and I've gone from thinking I might not get very much use out of it to being really, really happy to have it now. In the end, I'll probably get two plus years out of it as my go-to gaming card.

It's going to tide me over until this insanity dies down a bit. At this point, I'm probably looking at getting a 3080 TI, 3080 Super, or a 40xx series card, though, at this time next year.
Good luck with that!

Meanwhile this is my PC

1618001236162870282.jpg

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Good luck with that!

Meanwhile this is my PC
Yeah, same. I've an AMD 5800X, X570 mobo, 32GB of 3600MHz RAM, 2 x 2TB M.2 drives, 27" 165MHz 1440p GSync IPS panel, just waiting for a new video card (GTX 1080 placeholder now).

For now, I'm gaming on 9700K, 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, 1 x 1TB M.2, and RTX 2080 Super, 27" 165MHz 1440p GSync IPS panel. It's totally fine for anything I want to play, including new games. Just the idea that I could have more power, you know?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Re RDR2

After a few months break I decided to comeback on RDR2.

I like it better now. I'm in the middle of chapter VI now.

+
Liked the evolution from rural environment to the big City.
Wondering in which direction the Dutch-Arthur relation will go
The TB disease adds another difficulty
After all commited crimes it seems like I'm wanted everywhere lol. Even very high in the mountains there is someone who wants to kill me.

-
Didn't like the fifth chapter. Guarma Island. Didn't feel like it was the same game. It was more like Uncharted atmosphere than 1899

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I’m 35% through Zero Dawn and really digging it. The story line has me totally hooked and the combat is interesting.

If they had given us a slightly more sophisticated and developped skill tree it would have been a masterpiece. The skills are nice
but I would have liked to have greater choice and greater depth.

Hopefully for HZD Forbidden West they'll give us a more developped skill tree.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I just got my new PC now need to catch up on a lot. Was waiting awhile on the graphics card - this is my first true gaming PC. Any suggestions on where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad