OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you have a box of Depends around the house pick up Alien: Isolation (there is a VR version, I think, and I've "hacked" the Steam version to be VR.)

It is scary as Hell, though. (Thus the earlier-mentioned Depends.)

I’ve heard this. Is the game enjoyable?

The possibilities are crazy.

Oh Holodeck, you’re getting closer and closer...

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm hooked on Fire Emblem: Three Houses for Switch. I’m enjoying everything about it so far, except a large chunk of the social/support interactions. It basically boils down to: When it comes to interacting with anyone, you are nothing more than a people pleaser. You benefit from telling people exactly what they want to hear. You gain nothing, and possibly lose out on other things, any time you don’t say exactly what they want to hear. It's the whole "Illusion of Choice" debate regarding decision-making/conversational elements in games: If only one course of action yields any sort of result, then the presented "choice" doesn't actually matter.

It’s even more annoying due to the fact that the game puts you in the role of these kids’ professor. From a narrative/role-playing perspective, you’re supposed to be shaping their minds and helping them grow into better people. So it really takes me out of the immersion when I spend every single conversational exchange trying to figure out how to pander to them, then pandering to them. (Not to mention that, in order to achieve that, you have google every conversation with every character to make sure you’re saying what they want to hear. Every wrong response is a missed opportunity to gain support!) Like, this game rewards you for being the world’s worst teacher? Lame.

Anyway other than that, this game is great. If that's my biggest complaint, then it gets a double thumbs up from me.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
How is the Switch in general?

Ed - As in value vs cost, how deep can the games get, etc.
So, I was basically a console-only person from the early-90s through 2010, at which point I bought my first real gaming PC and pretty much abandoned consoles. The Switch is the first new console I've bought in nearly a decade. Which is to say, I can't give you a direct comparison between the Switch and, say, an Xbone or PS4 (both of which, in terms of processing power and game libraries, I'd consider closer to the PC world). But I can say that the Switch, and Nintendo in general, has always occupied its own unique "gaming bubble" for me. My PC and Switch are never competing against each other for my time; they're completely different worlds--which for me makes it an excellent value for the cost, you know?

I'd say the Switch's console design, the portability, the controllers are all indistinguishably, uh... Nintendo (which I mean in a very good way). I think Nintendo's exclusive franchises are not only more "fun" and family-friendly, but they hold a certain space in my heart. Zelda, Mario, Smash, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, etc--you're only getting those experiences through Nintendo. And those games, assuming you're interested in them, are DEEP. You can get a ton of hours out of them. Serious replay value. Those games also have passionate, dedicated communities. And the devs/publishers support those games forever. Also, as far as I understand it, the console itself is a raging success, so it's not like you have to worry about buying a Nintendo Wii U that will immediately get dumped, you know?

So yeah, I really like the console and the games. How much value you'd get out of it likely depends on what gaming setups you already own (PC/Xbox/PS4) and what genres + exclusives matter most to you. But, generally speaking, I'd say PC/Xbone/PS4 all compete for the same chunk of the gaming world (minus each platform's exclusives) while the Switch its its own unique, unmistakably Nintendo world.

Reactions: Marshall

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
How is the Switch in general?

Ed - As in value vs cost, how deep can the games get, etc.
I love my Switch for the portability. I prefer to play games in bed without having to deal with peripherals, and it's perfect for that.

But you have to know what you're getting into. It's not a very powerful device, so the graphics are limited. That's ok with me, since I'm the furthest thing from a videophile, but it bothers some people.

Most games run at 30fps, at best. Also not an issue for me, but it is for some.

Reactions: Marshall

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Breath of the Wild and Celeste are two of my favourite games I've ever played. Fire Emblem may be on its way to that same level. The Switch is amazing for someone like me who couldn't care less about the graphical advantages that Sony and Microsoft have.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If you haven't played in 5 years and love football, yes. This is a good year to jump in.
I'm back and forth between Madden and FIFA. I don't know what it is about Madden, but I get really bored playing after an hour or so. Really wish they still had NCAA Football. I played those religiously, especially back in the PS2 days.

I'll probably end up holding out for FIFA 20. Maybe this is the year I finally get into FUT.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm back and forth between Madden and FIFA. I don't know what it is about Madden, but I get really bored playing after an hour or so. Really wish they still had NCAA Football. I played those religiously, especially back in the PS2 days.

I'll probably end up holding out for FIFA 20. Maybe this is the year I finally get into FUT.

I really like FUT as a concept but it's so slanted toward in-game purchases and online play it can be a grind for someone like myself who just wants to play the computer and build up coins from challenges, games, etc. By the time I had a reasonable "all star" team I really liked I was several hundred games in and burned out.

I'll get FIFA again but these days I only buy Madden if it seems like there's some real improvement in the gameplay, or if I haven't upgraded in several years. The problem with MUT is there are just too many situational challenges and special cards/categories and very little actual game use for your team offline. I imagine online players can probably also buy good teams.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really like FUT as a concept but it's so slanted toward in-game purchases and online play it can be a grind for someone like myself who just wants to play the computer and build up coins from challenges, games, etc. By the time I had a reasonable "all star" team I really liked I was several hundred games in and burned out.

I'll get FIFA again but these days I only buy Madden if it seems like there's some real improvement in the gameplay, or if I haven't upgraded in several years. The problem with MUT is there are just too many situational challenges and special cards/categories and very little actual game use for your team offline. I imagine online players can probably also buy good teams.
This seems exactly how I felt about NHL’s UT mode as well. The only way to get a great squad is to spend actually money which I refuse to do because opening packs is definitely a scam

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Even the transfer markets seem like they're gamed, as in EA offers a lot of shill cards at baseline prices they use to control the market. But it's almost always more economical to buy off the market than waste money on packs, unless you're dropping big coin for the top dollar cards.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I'll get FIFA again but these days I only buy Madden if it seems like there's some real improvement in the gameplay, or if I haven't upgraded in several years.

I got sucked in and bought it. Waste of $53. I don’t understand the card BS I just play the franchise mode and I saw a preview of the QB1 and was mesmerized by the prospect of playing college football again. Huge mistake.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I got sucked in and bought it. Waste of $53. I don’t understand the card BS I just play the franchise mode and I saw a preview of the QB1 and was mesmerized by the prospect of playing college football again. Huge mistake.

EA sports operate like golf club manufacturers. They'll repackage the same old technology under new names with a new gimmick or coat of paint so you're tempted to buy the same crap every year or two.

The best time for a new EA game is a few years after a new console comes out. Two or three years down the road you get the benefit of the adjustments to the new tech. By that time they've gotten past the initial rush to put out a compatible offering using the latest controllers/CPU/GPU/graphics and physics engines/etc.

After that it's usually incremental, small, superficial improvements being marketed as "revolutionary".

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Waiting for FIFA to drop in September because I know I can sink a lot of time into it

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Detroit was free on PS+ last month, so I fired it up last night. I like it way more than I thought I would. Played 2.5 hours straight, which is very rare for me.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I bought the ncaa game just about every other year for around 10 years. Would spend weeks building a program from nothing, and loved it. Too bad greed killed it. Still don’t know why they can’t have generic players and bring the game back.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I bought the ncaa game just about every other year for around 10 years. Would spend weeks building a program from nothing, and loved it. Too bad greed killed it. Still don’t know why they can’t have generic players and bring the game back.

I did the exact same. Built Colorado into a dynasty once. Got to the point I didn’t really have to recruit or play, it would get all the 5 stars and it won like 11 titles. It won 5 straight titles at the end and the last 3 I did nothing but let the computer recruit and play. I still have it on my PS3. Might have to knock the dust off it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Come on, ppl, play each other in FIFA. You dont need the grind like FUT.

I don't have PS Plus. The website says you get 2 free games to download per month. I assume that's from a selected library. Do you get to keep the games indefinitely after that, or just for the month?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I don't have PS Plus. The website says you get 2 free games to download per month. I assume that's from a selected library. Do you get to keep the games indefinitely after that, or just for the month?

Indefinitely as long as you have a PS Plus subscription active. If you let a subscription time out you won't be able to play them, but will be able to soon as you reactivate it.

The 2 PS Plus games are switched up every month. And usually they offer one AAA game and one indie game.

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad