OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This year's Cyberpunk 2077 E3 has more excited than last year's, but ironically they've shown less of the game than last year. Cautiously optimistic at this point. I want a true Cyberpunk 2020 game, not Grand Theft Auto: Night City.

Meh.......

I'm pretty stoked on this. I loved the single player campaign in Battlefront 2, and this looks better than that. Kinda surprised how powerful of a Jedi they're making him out to be, but I guess that's par for the course when you consider Ezra in SW: Rebels. Still looks like it should be a fun blend of Star Wars and Uncharted. Hopefully the set pieces are as well executed as the clips make them seem like they will be (tie fighters crashing into AT-ATs, etc).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Cadence of Hyrule is a fun little Zelda game and brought back the nostalgia. Worth the $25 IMO.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Cadence of Hyrule is a fun little Zelda game and brought back the nostalgia. Worth the $25 IMO.

I've been playing the Imagine Dragons DLC for Beat Saber. You hold these VR light sabers and slash these cubes that come at you representing percussion. So fun and makes me think of the Finals game 2.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
All I’ve played in the last 6 months is RE2 and Blackops 4 Blackout. I wonder how this new Gears of war will be but never could get into that game

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
How have you stayed into RE2? It's honestly the most disappointing game I've ever played.

I just finished RE2, all scenarios and a few of the s rank runs. I enjoyed it, reminds me of the original RE2, but then again, I enjoyed RE4 a lot which purists hate.

I've been ticking through (slowly) the huge backlog of games that I'm trying to get through. And I'm trying to decide what's next.

What do you guys? (these are going to be PS4 versions)

A) Spiderman
B) Sekiro
C) Red Dead Redemption 2
D) Days Gone
E) Something else?

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I just finished RE2, all scenarios and a few of the s rank runs. I enjoyed it, reminds me of the original RE2, but then again, I enjoyed RE4 a lot which purists hate.

I've been ticking through (slowly) the huge backlog of games that I'm trying to get through. And I'm trying to decide what's next.

What do you guys? (these are going to be PS4 versions)

A) Spiderman
B) Sekiro
C) Red Dead Redemption 2
D) Days Gone
E) Something else?

1. Red Dead 2 (best single player experience I've had this gen. Not necessarily most "fun" but story and entertainment experience is incredible.
2. Sekiro
3. Something else (to avoid open world fatigue)
4. Days Gone
5. Detroit Become Human (free on PSN for July)
6. Spiderman

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
1. Red Dead 2 (best single player experience I've had this gen. Not necessarily most "fun" but story and entertainment experience is incredible.
2. Sekiro
3. Something else (to avoid open world fatigue)
4. Days Gone
5. Detroit Become Human (free on PSN for July)
6. Spiderman

Oh wow, Spiderman at the bottom?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Spiderman at the top for me.

As I mentioned earlier RDR2 was not my thing at all. It looked good but it was so boring.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Oh wow, Spiderman at the bottom?

Disclaimer: I have zero interest in Marvel or DC stuff. So that hook doesn't work on me.

So Spiderman and Days Gone are like polar opposites in quality, and I dont mean in a good/bad way.

Spiderman has the highest "open world trappings" and the most uninteresting gameplay loops I've played in a Sony 1st party title. It's initially a very fun game that was dull in about 10 hours. Story is fine, but it was a chore.

Days Gone starts really average and appears really generic at first. Main character also isn't likeable at first (this is oddly on purpose, and a risk I loved). It's the opposite of of Spiderman because it probably takes 10 hours to even become interesting narratively and gameplay wise. Also once hordes become a thing, it's excellent and it doesnt stop being excellent. Once it gets going it really goes, you won't stop because the narrative and gameplay loop is finally engaging. Probably the most underrated Sony game I've played on PS4.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Disclaimer: I have zero interest in Marvel or DC stuff. So that hook doesn't work on me.

So Spiderman and Days Gone are like polar opposites in quality, and I dont mean in a good/bad way.

Spiderman has the highest "open world trappings" and the most uninteresting gameplay loops I've played in a Sony 1st party title. It's initially a very fun game that was dull in about 10 hours. Story is fine, but it was a chore.

Days Gone starts really average and appears really generic at first. Main character also isn't likeable at first (this is oddly on purpose, and a risk I loved). It's the opposite of of Spiderman because it probably takes 10 hours to even become interesting narratively and gameplay wise. Also once hordes become a thing, it's excellent and it doesnt stop being excellent. Once it gets going it really goes, you won't stop because the narrative and gameplay loop is finally engaging. Probably the most underrated Sony game I've played on PS4.

See, this is what I kinda wanted to hear. I saw the initial reviews on Days Gone were pretty bleak, and so I never bothered with it. But I LOVE zombies and post-apocalyptic stuff in general. If Days Gone was even a poor man's The Last of Us, I would probably love it. But maybe the reviews were poor from the slow beginning? I might have to pick that up now.

I loved the first RDR, and the second is probably at the top of my list to play. Sekiro is another, but I haven't really tried any of the Dark Souls Bloodborne games so I'm not really sure if those are the type of games I would enjoy.

I might have to go RDR2 and Days Gone. Thanks a lot!

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
See, this is what I kinda wanted to hear. I saw the initial reviews on Days Gone were pretty bleak, and so I never bothered with it. But I LOVE zombies and post-apocalyptic stuff in general. If Days Gone was even a poor man's The Last of Us, I would probably love it. But maybe the reviews were poor from the slow beginning? I might have to pick that up now.

I loved the first RDR, and the second is probably at the top of my list to play. Sekiro is another, but I haven't really tried any of the Dark Souls Bloodborne games so I'm not really sure if those are the type of games I would enjoy.

I might have to go RDR2 and Days Gone. Thanks a lot!

I've heard Days Gone described as a poor man's TLOU. And I think that's pretty unfair.

It has a ton of elements from the TLOU, and carrys the same strengths and weaknesses. It virtually copies the on-the-fly crafting for items and melee weapons. Melee combat is very fun and effective. Guns are also more useful in DG because of just how many enemies you eventually face (it's a lot). If you're a fan of the gameplay elements of TLOU, you'll like it here.

I think narratively they're different but both quality. TLOU reminds me more of like a Children of Men (if you've seen that), which is totally bleak and kind of terrifying. Days Gone is more post apocalyptic fantasy almost. But I really liked the characters in Days Gone, and it feels like a bigger cast and story.

I think it just feels a bit dated and "borrow-y" from a lot of games. But it does a lot of things well, and I cant really think of anything outright poor.

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Oh no, I meant a poor man's TLoU as a good thing lol. I consider TLoU as one of the best narrative driven games in recent memory. Gameplay was just ok, but that story will stick in my mind forever, and I'm growing senile.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Oh no, I meant a poor man's TLoU as a good thing lol. I consider TLoU as one of the best narrative driven games in recent memory. Gameplay was just ok, but that story will stick in my mind forever, and I'm growing senile.

I think if you can tolerate flawed gameplay at the expense of a great narrative experience, do RDR2 first. Because as an execution of immersion and delivering exceptional storytelling, it might be my favorite game I've ever played.

I have a lot of complaints about RDR2's gameplay being actually very basic and missing tons of opporunities, but I loved every second of the actual narrative and world

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
As I mentioned earlier RDR2 was not my thing at all. It looked good but it was so boring.

Gotta agree with this, partly. It was GORGEOUS, and parts of the story were fun. But the controls were terrible,
and the whole camping , taking care of your horse, taking care of your own grooming, etc, was an utter waste of time
and detracted from the experience.

I thought RDR1 was better, frankly.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Gotta agree with this, partly. It was GORGEOUS, and parts of the story were fun. But the controls were terrible,
and the whole camping , taking care of your horse, taking care of your own grooming, etc, was an utter waste of time
and detracted from the experience.

I thought RDR1 was better, frankly.

I don't think the problem was the eatting, hunting, fishing, bathing, foraging elements themselves. But there wasn't any consequences for not doing them. It was far too easy to earn money after the first 2 Acts, and all the immersive activities didn't really do anything.

It was a half measure, because Rockstsr worried that to many people would hate the survival maintenance. So they made it totally irrelevant.

I loved the world and story of RDR2 more than the original. But I think the first was infinitely more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad