OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Anyone play Rainbow Six Siege? Played the free trial last weekend and it was actually pretty gnarly. Really liked it and I should have pounced on the Rainbow Six Siege + The Division combo deal that the PS Store was running when I had the chance.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Still playing FIFA and have a good FUT squad.

After 100s of games I can say for sure, at least in FUT, there is definite handicapping as well as "cheat" charges by the opposing AI that consist of boosts to their stats and significant declines to your player stats. Guys with 99 traits in specific areas like pace are somehow outrun by players in the 60s or 70s overall. Players with 99 standing tackle or strength suddenly fall down on all contact. Goaltenders with kicking in the 90s and 88 overall have goal kicks travel 70% as far, and make stupid errors like throwing the ball directly to a striker on the other side of the pitch for no reason. Even things like automatic player switching during aerial balls don't work right all the time. No matter how good you are or how well you play you can't get the ball back and some freak play is likely to put the ball in your net. In general all your players are piss drunk and the other guys are on Red Bull.

Etc. Clearly manipulated to handicap.

Which is why my 86 squad with 100 chem can sometimes barely beat a 77 team with 52 chem, but then trash an 84 team 5-0 while doubling up on shots.

Also think the odds for packs should be modified as the trade market changes. As players drop in value throughout the season the pack odds make less sense. There's no reason to buy a gold pack for 7500 or 1500o or whatever with a 5% chance of getting a player you could buy for 2,000 now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The "capitol one center" in the division 2 has a team named the daggers lol

I picked up The Division I + Rainbow Siege for like $11 a month ago. The Division is really good. Probably the most fun I've had playing a shooter game in a while. I'm kind of bummed I didn't find it until now because it seems to be a huge game but I imagine I'll want to switch to TD2 sooner rather than later.

Also, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered is free this month for PS+ members on PS4.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Really tempted by Division 2 even though I don't usually play online. I'm held back by the price, $60 plus a PS+ subscription .

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Really tempted by Division 2 even though I don't usually play online. I'm held back by the price, $60 plus a PS+ subscription .

I really like the PS+ subscription and find it worth the money. The selection of free monthly games for subscribers normally has at least one solid title and the other games are heavily discounted as well for Plus subscribers. I got The Division + Rainbow Siege Deluxe Edition for $11 during a recent flash sale (which was 75% off). Also, right now I think the PS+ subscription is 25% off, and you can normally re-up your subscription for 25-40% off during the holiday season (subscriptions are stackable).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’ve tried twice to get into Red Dead Redemption 2 and I just can’t do it. Does it get better after the first few hours? Everything is so slow and it doesn’t feel as fun as the first one so far. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ve tried twice to get into Red Dead Redemption 2 and I just can’t do it. Does it get better after the first few hours? Everything is so slow and it doesn’t feel as fun as the first one so far. Maybe I’m just getting old.

I tried and tried and tried to like it but got rid of it after weeks of generally consistent boredom.

I appreciate the complexity and presentation but I sense you really, really need to be into the whole cowboy motif to value the tedium.

After that I jumped on a cheap version of South Park Fractured But Whole and got tired of that, too. Again, you have to be a 13 year old or a big fan of the show to stick with it.

Then I moved to Uncharted collection (first 3 on one disc for $10) and have settled into that, when I have the time.

If you're not enjoying RDR2 then dismiss the external hype and move on imo.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Agree with @g00n. It’s easily the most disappointing game in recent memory for me. It’s infuriating sitting down for 2 hours and feeling like you accomplished nothing but riding a horse a painstakingly long distance, cooking some food, and potentially getting into a rare gun fight.

The crafting makes no sense to me and seems incomplete. I also hate that I can’t ride any where without having a bounty hunter or a cop chase me down which makes a story that takes forever take even longer. I don’t kill civilians or do anything outrageous to warrant the bounties either.

Generally I think they spent too much time and over indexed on creating a vast, open world and there’s too little structure to the game. The graphics are stunning and the world is beautiful but it’s just too slow, disjointed, and clumsy for me to give it another shot.

The Division 2 is a terrific game if you’re into looter shooters. It’s highly addicting and really well done.

Reactions: g00n and twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Glad to see I’m not alone with not liking RDR2. Guess I’ll just sell it on eBay or something since it’s probably not getting any better.

I’ll check out the Division series. Haven’t played it yet.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I have way too many games backlogged and not enough time but the hype around Division 2 is getting to me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have way too many games backlogged and not enough time but the hype around Division 2 is getting to me.

Glad to see I’m not alone with not liking RDR2. Guess I’ll just sell it on eBay or something since it’s probably not getting any better.

I’ll check out the Division series. Haven’t played it yet.

I stumbled upon The Division 1 by accident a few years after it came out. I had played a free weekend of Rainbow Siege and after the weekend was over they were offering Rainbow Seige + The Division to PS+ members for $11. I didn't even know what The Division was and had never heard of it but I played it once waiting for Rainbow Siege to finish downloading an update and never stopped. This was probably a week before TD2 came out so I ponied up and bought TD2 and it has been a ton of fun. It's really the first series I've gotten into besides FIFA in the last few years because I have such little free time with two kids and a demanding work schedule.

The nice thing about TD2 is you can log in and play for 20-30 minutes and just roam around by yourself and do stuff or you can play for literally an entire day and not run out of things to do. The looter part is fun trying to scour the city for rare and exotic gear and weapons and the story for TD2 is set in DC so it's fun playing missions in the Capitol Building, around the Tidal Basin, in the Air & Space and American History museums, etc. They do a nice job of making it feel like DC.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I stumbled upon The Division 1 by accident a few years after it came out. I had played a free weekend of Rainbow Siege and after the weekend was over they were offering Rainbow Seige + The Division to PS+ members for $11. I didn't even know what The Division was and had never heard of it but I played it once waiting for Rainbow Siege to finish downloading an update and never stopped. This was probably a week before TD2 came out so I ponied up and bought TD2 and it has been a ton of fun. It's really the first series I've gotten into besides FIFA in the last few years because I have such little free time with two kids and a demanding work schedule.

The nice thing about TD2 is you can log in and play for 20-30 minutes and just roam around by yourself and do stuff or you can play for literally an entire day and not run out of things to do. The looter part is fun trying to scour the city for rare and exotic gear and weapons and the story for TD2 is set in DC so it's fun playing missions in the Capitol Building, around the Tidal Basin, in the Air & Space and American History museums, etc. They do a nice job of making it feel like DC.

I don't play online so I look for story modes and I'm reading it takes 40hrs to finish D2. My initial thought was "that's not much" but then I looked up Borderlands 2 which might be my favorite game of all time and that supposedly a 30hr game, which of course it's not when you factor in all the exploring and side-quests etc.

Sounds appealing. May have to move it up the list. Thanks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't play online so I look for story modes and I'm reading it takes 40hrs to finish D2. My initial thought was "that's not much" but then I looked up Borderlands 2 which might be my favorite game of all time and that supposedly a 30hr game, which of course it's not when you factor in all the exploring and side-quests etc.

Sounds appealing. May have to move it up the list. Thanks.

Fairly confident TD2 is online only. You don't have to play with others online but you do have to connect to the server to play (not sure how you're defining "not playing online"). I will say playing with others is way more fun and allows you to level up a lot faster, plus you can easily just matchmake for a specific mission, play that mission, and then leave the group to do your own thing if you're a solo kind of player. They also have a cool feature where you can join clans and the group performance allows you to unlock different weapons, gear, and other junk. The UX is really seamless if you want to go solo, play in a group, or do a combination of the like.

I should preface all of my thoughts on TD2 by saying that this is the first non-sports game that isn't solo only, i.e. story mode, that I've played in probably 8-10 years. Aside from FIFA or NHL the only games I've really put any time into in that timespan are The Last of Us, Uncharted, GTA (only playing through the story, not online), and Valiant Hearts (amazing story, pick it up if you want an easy but compelling game). I think the last open world shooter I played was Call of Duty: Black Ops back in 2010 or 2011 and I hated it because you have nerds that play all day every day that just mow down people and it wasn't any fun for me. All that is to say that this looter shooter genre is pretty new to me and I'm hooked, and TD2 is a ton of fun for me personally, but I can't provide any type of comparison to other games in the genre.

And I'll say that while there is a story in TD2 (kind of), it's certainly not captivating, unique, original, or integral to the game. If you're looking for a story you can really dive into then TD2 ain't it. I actually think the story and characters from TD1 are way more compelling and TD1 offers quite a bit more from a shock/suspense perspective, but the story is not needed to make TD2 so captivating.

I've heard amazing things about the Borderland series but I'm terrified to pick it up since my wife might divorce me if I spend any more time playing video games. That said, I just read that Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is one of the free June downloads for PS+ users so I think I'm in trouble :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fairly confident TD2 is online only. You don't have to play with others online but you do have to connect to the server to play (not sure how you're defining "not playing online"). I will say playing with others is way more fun and allows you to level up a lot faster, plus you can easily just matchmake for a specific mission, play that mission, and then leave the group to do your own thing if you're a solo kind of player. They also have a cool feature where you can join clans and the group performance allows you to unlock different weapons, gear, and other junk. The UX is really seamless if you want to go solo, play in a group, or do a combination of the like.

I should preface all of my thoughts on TD2 by saying that this is the first non-sports game that isn't solo only, i.e. story mode, that I've played in probably 8-10 years. Aside from FIFA or NHL the only games I've really put any time into in that timespan are The Last of Us, Uncharted, GTA (only playing through the story, not online), and Valiant Hearts (amazing story, pick it up if you want an easy but compelling game). I think the last open world shooter I played was Call of Duty: Black Ops back in 2010 or 2011 and I hated it because you have nerds that play all day every day that just mow down people and it wasn't any fun for me. All that is to say that this looter shooter genre is pretty new to me and I'm hooked, and TD2 is a ton of fun for me personally, but I can't provide any type of comparison to other games in the genre.

And I'll say that while there is a story in TD2 (kind of), it's certainly not captivating, unique, original, or integral to the game. If you're looking for a story you can really dive into then TD2 ain't it. I actually think the story and characters from TD1 are way more compelling and TD1 offers quite a bit more from a shock/suspense perspective, but the story is not needed to make TD2 so captivating.

I've heard amazing things about the Borderland series but I'm terrified to pick it up since my wife might divorce me if I spend any more time playing video games. That said, I just read that Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is one of the free June downloads for PS+ users so I think I'm in trouble :laugh:

I connect to the PS network I just don't jump into multi-player online play. I think this game does have that option but it's not as robust as the multi-player stuff according to the Internet. This link focuses on tactics so may be kind of spoily:

The Division 2 single player guide: how to play The Division 2 solo

Borderlands will hook you. 2 is the best but 1 is good, too. I played another where you head to the moon and it was OK, kind of taking advantage of the title. There's another wild west one or something that I haven't tried.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Playing NHL 99 on the PS2 and decided the Caps needed more fire power so i added Gretzky to play with Bondra.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Cool about BG3 there. Reminds me one of my oldest friends and a kick butt DM had an awesome epic adventure planned out in Forgotten Realms where mindflayer invasion was the big bad (3.5/PF) but we had almost a TPK at the low level beginnings and the guys that died didn't want to make new characters so it got shelved.

Saw that its based on 5th edition rules which is a major turnoff for me in particular but as its a video game probably not enough for me not to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->