OT: Video Games IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just a heads-up for PC gamers who use Chrome: there's an extension called Enhanced Steam. When you're on the Steam store website (but not the app), it will show you what games/DLC you already own + what the cheapest current (and historic) price is for whatever game you're looking at (including prices for retailers outside of Steam).

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
My four year old Toshiba laptop is finally dying, so I'm looking for something new with decent gaming capabilities for less than $1000. It doesn't have to be able to play BF4 on ultra, just something that can play current games competently at high or medium setting.

After a lot of searching I found two Lenovo models that seem quite good for the money, and they're both on sale directly from Lenovo:

Y510p

y40

It looks like the y40 is a newer model, so I'm inclined to go with that, but it hasn't been widely reviewed yet. Does anyone have any thoughts? Should I choose one over the other? Or is there a better option out there for under $1K?

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I've heard good things about Lenovos, but don't have any input on the specific models listed. I haven't been in the market for almost 5 years, so I might be looking for something soon too, but probably not quite that high in price.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think that was the plan at first, though I'm sure some things have changed over time since the sale was a while ago. But I liked my last IBM Thinkpad, so I have no problems with Lenovo trying to maintain IBM's philosophies.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a beautiful game and absolutely worth the $15. Anyone else play it?

That game looks gorgeous, and I was definitely thinking about picking it up. But then the GOG.com and Steam Summer Sales came around, and now I'm knee-deep in games I'll probably never play. So I can't justify spending any more money on more games.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That game looks gorgeous, and I was definitely thinking about picking it up. But then the GOG.com and Steam Summer Sales came around, and now I'm knee-deep in games I'll probably never play. So I can't justify spending any more money on more games.

If you can spare the $15, do it. It's really one of the more enjoyable games I've ever played.

Liberati0n*

NBTW, or someone else who's played it, has that new Hockey Manager game been updated enough to be worth buying?

Liberati0n*

That's disappointing. I started playing EHM again, but when I use the date patch it crashes in like February. They just need to make a new EHM.

Berakos

Jan 29, 2010
Virginia
If anyone is interested and has a PS4. I have 2 beta keys for Destiny, just PM me.

Last edited:

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know if anyone's been following the development of that Double Fine game, Massive Chalice (a turn-based tactical battle game like the new X-Com), but today's the last day to sign up and pay for the "Bloodline" package. That's the thing were you get to create your own Game Of Thrones-style "house" and legacy (including your own house name, a custom-designed sigil, motto, etc) which the developers will then permanently build into the game. Assuming you've got $100 to blow. (Which I don't, but I will be getting the game when it comes out...)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So, I'm trying to get into EHM but I am so confused. How on earth do you get them to play a game...? Or resign someone?

Liberati0n*

Yosh. Also trying to get the custom start date mod to work and it does not like it. :(

Everything basically happens through you hitting continue and simming to the next day. To re-sign and stuff right click on a player's name on your roster (or anywhere) and it'll be there if their contract is expiring. Go to the general manager options tab on one of the top menus...you can choose to 'coach games yourself' or not...they'll be simmed either way but you can make adjustments etc if you coach them (I never do). I think it comes with a PDF guide too that might be helpful to look at.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Everything basically happens through you hitting continue and simming to the next day. To re-sign and stuff right click on a player's name on your roster (or anywhere) and it'll be there if their contract is expiring. Go to the general manager options tab on one of the top menus...you can choose to 'coach games yourself' or not...they'll be simmed either way but you can make adjustments etc if you coach them (I never do). I think it comes with a PDF guide too that might be helpful to look at.

I've figured out the issue. I can't get the date change mod to work but I'm using a current roster (well, last years roster) so Grabo is actually signed for like 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia