OT: Video Games IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
For old-school gaming nerds, today is the final day of the GOG.com summer sale. There are a ton a great deals on older (DRM-free) RPGs, point-and-clicks, etc. of yesteryear, including:

D&D Package (Baldurs Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, Neverwinter Nights 1/2, Planescape: Torment, + others): for $21
Ultima Package (1-9 Complete + Underworld 1/2): $7
Might And Magic Package (1-9 + Crusaders): $7
Sam and Max (Seasons 1-3 Complete): $10
Tex Murphy (1-5): $7
Wing Commander 1-5 + Privateer/Privateer2 + others: $7

Plus they still have a bunch of flash sales on some more recent games. A good way to gear yourself up for the STEAM SUMMER SALE (which supposedly starts tomorrow?).

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hahah most of those are pretty old games! Like, 15-20 years old! I think you could run most of them on a toaster these days.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Finally looking like I finish Portal 2 today. My catch-up endeavor took a big step this past week with 3 games going back to GameFly. I'm getting into the meat of the RPGs though so expect it to go more slowly for a while.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
For old-school gaming nerds, today is the final day of the GOG.com summer sale. There are a ton a great deals on older (DRM-free) RPGs, point-and-clicks, etc. of yesteryear, including:

D&D Package (Baldurs Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, Neverwinter Nights 1/2, Planescape: Torment, + others): for $21
Ultima Package (1-9 Complete + Underworld 1/2): $7
Might And Magic Package (1-9 + Crusaders): $7
Sam and Max (Seasons 1-3 Complete): $10
Tex Murphy (1-5): $7
Wing Commander 1-5 + Privateer/Privateer2 + others: $7

Plus they still have a bunch of flash sales on some more recent games. A good way to gear yourself up for the STEAM SUMMER SALE (which supposedly starts tomorrow?).

Have had the hankering to play some neverwinter nights but lost the install disc so might have to pick that up. Missed some turned based 3.x D&D mechanics.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I loved Privateer. From what I understand, there are some space sims on the way via crowd sourcing, so I might try to get back into that genre. I tried X3, and it was dreadful.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I loved Privateer. From what I understand, there are some space sims on the way via crowd sourcing, so I might try to get back into that genre. I tried X3, and it was dreadful.

There's Star Citizen (which is being created by Chris Roberts, the guy behind the Wing Commander Games). I backed that (after the Kickstarter campaign ended, though). You can still pre-order the game and get a bunch of extras (including alpha/beta access). I'm pretty stoked about it. I loved the WC franchise when I was younger.

There's also Elite Dangerous, which I guess is a continuation of the Elite series of space sims, buuuut I never played those and know next to nothing about Elite Dangerous as I've already put my money behind Star Citizen. (Also, I'm still pretty wary about heavy usage of procedural generation in games right now...)

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
The summer sale has been "meh" so far. Seems like everything has been listed 2 or 3 times already because of Flash Sales and voting

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Anyone else pick up the new UFC game? It's overall been kinda meh for me. Was expecting better with the way it has been hyped up. Seems they focused more on the production aspect (videos, music, etc.) than the actual game itself but maybe that's just my opinion

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I want an open world Zelda so hard, but I don't game often enough anymore to justify buying a console and I still have so many 360 games and PS3 games to get through.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've limited my Steam Summer Sale purchases to (mostly) small and cheap games: Battleblock Theater, Castle Crashers, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain, Don't Starve, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, some Magicka DLC, Syberia 1 + 2, and Hitman: Absolution. My biggest purchase was A Wolf Among Us, which I'd definitely recommend for anyone who likes TellTale Games' "interactive comic-book" type games.

I bought Call of Juarez: Gunslinger for $4.99 on a whim (I really, REALLY don't need any more FPS games) and was pleasantly surprised by it. It had some nice art direction, a great storytelling feel, and a few nice gameplay gimmicks that kept things interesting.

There have definitely been a bunch of excellent, relatively recent games on ridiculous sales (Skyrim: Legendary, Borderlands 2 GOTY, Dark Souls PtD Edition, the Metro series, Saints Row 3 + 4). It's just that this is my third or fourth Steam Summer sale, and I already own all that stuff (plus god knows how many other games I've purchased and not played yet)! I think maybe that's why it feels a little underwhelming to me so far.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Destiny looks good but I was hoping to see something a little further removed from Halo out of Bungie.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
PS4. I bought BF4 with it and I'm really enjoying it, it's a ton of fun to squad up with friends. Also pre-ordered Destiny but I'll be trying to hold off on buying too much until 2015. Uncharted, SWBF, Arkham Knight, I'm probably forgetting a few too.

PS4 just seems to be a cut above XB1. BF4 is a ton of fun -- I like it better than COD. Have you played Destiny yet? There is an Alpha available. It's fun, I suppose, but I'm not a Halo guy and it strikes me as Halo 2.0. Also, highly recommend signing the 1 yr contract for PSN/PS+ if you haven't already ($50/12 mos -- great deal). Free games every month, and some good titles too; I've downloaded Don't Starve, Outlast, Trine 2, and a few others.

Uncharted and Arkham are going to be great. Uncharted is probably my favorite series outside of GTA.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
PS4 just seems to be a cut above XB1. BF4 is a ton of fun -- I like it better than COD. Have you played Destiny yet? There is an Alpha available. It's fun, I suppose, but I'm not a Halo guy and it strikes me as Halo 2.0. Also, highly recommend signing the 1 yr contract for PSN/PS+ if you haven't already ($50/12 mos -- great deal). Free games every month, and some good titles too; I've downloaded Don't Starve, Outlast, Trine 2, and a few others.

Uncharted and Arkham are going to be great. Uncharted is probably my favorite series outside of GTA.

Just started Uncharted 1 last night on the PS3. Have 2 and 3 ready to go when I finish (got them all three game-of-the-year-editions for $30 total last Black Friday but hadn't gotten around to opening them). Trying to play through my last-gen backlog before buying a new console. For an almost-7-year-old game, it's held up quite well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just started Uncharted 1 last night on the PS3. Have 2 and 3 ready to go when I finish (got them all three game-of-the-year-editions for $30 total last Black Friday but hadn't gotten around to opening them). Trying to play through my last-gen backlog before buying a new console. For an almost-7-year-old game, it's held up quite well.

Prepare to be hooked -- they get better as the series goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad