OT: Video Games IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
PS4 just seems to be a cut above XB1. BF4 is a ton of fun -- I like it better than COD. Have you played Destiny yet? There is an Alpha available. It's fun, I suppose, but I'm not a Halo guy and it strikes me as Halo 2.0. Also, highly recommend signing the 1 yr contract for PSN/PS+ if you haven't already ($50/12 mos -- great deal). Free games every month, and some good titles too; I've downloaded Don't Starve, Outlast, Trine 2, and a few others.

Uncharted and Arkham are going to be great. Uncharted is probably my favorite series outside of GTA.

I just got it a few days ago and I thought the alpha for Destiny was over, but I did get a beta code for next month. I was a big Halo guy so the similarities don't deter me from Destiny at all. I'm gonna wait on getting ps plus, the games they have now just don't seem worth it for me. I wish the recent Sly Cooper was available but it's only for PS3 ps plus owners.

I'm actually super pumped for Uncharted 4. I've only played the series once at a buddies house since I was an Xbox 360 owner and I loved it. The Arkham series is one of my favorites and SWBF1 was my first non sports video game so yeah, 2015 is going to be an awesome year for games.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
same here, I've played it through 3 times now on all difficulties and I still play the multi player.. also pre ordered for ps4 again, best game i've played in years

Wow, that's pretty telling. I'm definitely getting it when it's re-released, but I'm not overly excited. Maybe I should be.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
speaking of naughty dog and uncharted, anyone play the last of us? phenomenal game.

"Last of Us" was the reason I bought my PS3. Amazing game, and one of the few that has really affected me emotionally (it has some real "oh ****" moments). Going back and buying all the PS3 exclusives for super cheap has been a real bonus as well.

Speaking of surprisingly emotional games with "oh ****" moments, "Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons" was exactly that for me. It's currently on sale for $3 in the Steam Summer Sale, though you'll want to play it with a controller with two sticks (I have a wired 360 controller for my PC).

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Wow, that's pretty telling. I'm definitely getting it when it's re-released, but I'm not overly excited. Maybe I should be.

you're in for a real treat, its a fantastic game.

If any of you guys play online on the multiplayer (also amazing) I'd love to team up sometime. It takes teamwork to be successful on there.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

You can beat it in a couple long sittings, which makes it perfect for Redbox. Rent it on a Saturday morning and you don't have to return it until 9pm on Sunday. Do that twice (or once, if you are going to devote the whole weekend), and you can beat the game for $4 (or $2).

That's what I did, and it was definitely worth it. You don't get the multiplayer on rented games (or to replay the single-player, obviously), but it was a great way to play a $60 game for a few bucks.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
You can beat it in a couple long sittings, which makes it perfect for Redbox. Rent it on a Saturday morning and you don't have to return it until 9pm on Sunday. Do that twice (or once, if you are going to devote the whole weekend), and you can beat the game for $4 (or $2).

That's what I did, and it was definitely worth it. You don't get the multiplayer on rented games (or to replay the single-player, obviously), but it was a great way to play a $60 game for a few bucks.

That's true, however i feel like the multi is a great aspect of the game, its very under rated.. plus its a game worth owning IMO :) Redbox is a great idea for someone skeptical for sure, or someone who doesn't care about playing anything online.

I'll stop advertising for naughty dog now :laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Multiplayer is okay, but not exceptional. I'm glad I didn't sell the passcode that came with it. I still play it from time to time, but the multiplayer definitely isn't the game's strong suit. I haven't replayed it, but I also haven't really touched my console much in the past year anyway.

Is the DLC single-player expansion worth $15?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

That's actually not a bad idea. No idea where the closest Redbox is to me though.

Edit: And looking at their site, they don't have next-gen games.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You could always go with the buy it from Gamestop and return it within a week for full credit method. That's what I did with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Then I bought Uncharted 2 and kept it.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Multiplayer is okay, but not exceptional. I'm glad I didn't sell the passcode that came with it. I still play it from time to time, but the multiplayer definitely isn't the game's strong suit. I haven't replayed it, but I also haven't really touched my console much in the past year anyway.

Is the DLC single-player expansion worth $15?

Really? I've enjoyed the hell out of the multiplayer, but I will say, if you don't have friends to play with you can get easily dominated and it isn't much fun getting stomped on.

The DLC is great, but I found it to be short, I feel like I beat it within 3 hours or so. It does a nice job filling in some of the story, personally I am a huge fan of the game so I think its worth it.
You could always go with the buy it from Gamestop and return it within a week for full credit method. That's what I did with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Then I bought Uncharted 2 and kept it.

I had no clue you could do this at Gamestop, what type of policy is that?

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just bought the Bioshock games on the steam sale. All 3 for only $10 is a freaking steal.

Definitely my favorite game franchise of the last 15 years or so. Bioshock might be #1 on my all-time games list. Easily the most amazing setting/atmosphere, enemies, and storytelling in a FPS I've ever experienced.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Really? I've enjoyed the hell out of the multiplayer, but I will say, if you don't have friends to play with you can get easily dominated and it isn't much fun getting stomped on.

The DLC is great, but I found it to be short, I feel like I beat it within 3 hours or so. It does a nice job filling in some of the story, personally I am a huge fan of the game so I think its worth it.
I was pretty good at the multiplayer (despite not playing in parties), but it didn't really enthrall me. Granted, when it comes to multiplayer shooters I prefer first person to third (Battlefront being pretty much the lone exception). In the end, it relied too heavily on the load-out and crafting for my taste, given the variability and luck associated with those. It was definitely an interesting experience, and I liked that it brought some fresh ideas to multiplayer action games.

I had no clue you could do this at Gamestop, what type of policy is that?
It only applies to used games, but they essentially offer a 7-day satisfaction guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad