OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought the game was shot by shot with new things added.

Shot for shot is when they just upgrade the graphics and nothing else. This is going to take the plot points and expand on them. The dialogue will be deeper. The scenarios more fleshed out. The fighting mechanics totally different.

Reactions: Defect

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Shot for shot is when they just upgrade the graphics and nothing else. This is going to take the plot points and expand on them. The dialogue will be deeper. The scenarios more fleshed out. The fighting mechanics totally different.
I guess you’re being too literal and I’m being too liberal with the usage of shot for shot.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I guess you’re being too literal and I’m being too liberal with the usage of shot for shot.
Yea I def didn't mean literal shot for shot. Like there are so many secrets and optional things and I wanted to know if my knowledge from the original of things like chocobo breeding and getting Knights of the Round and how to beat Emerald or Ruby Weapon etc. would hold up or if I'd have to learn new stuff.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yea I def didn't mean literal shot for shot. Like there are so many secrets and optional things and I wanted to know if my knowledge from the original of things like chocobo breeding and getting Knights of the Round and how to beat Emerald or Ruby Weapon etc. would hold up or if I'd have to learn new stuff.

Part 1 of the Remake will only cover maybe 20% of the original (just up until the end of Midgar), but just that portion alone will be big enough in the Remake that it will have a separate disc for all of the data. So a portion of the original that was maybe 10 hours will be 30+ at least in Remake.

As far as breeding, KoTR, etc., I believe the plan is to have those missions in the game but you will have to do it in new ways.

In other words, aside from the plot and characters, and materia, your knowledge of FF7 original will not assist you with FF7 Remake. It will be an entirely new challenge.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Part 1 of the Remake will only cover maybe 20% of the original (just up until the end of Midgar), but just that portion alone will be big enough in the Remake that it will have a separate disc for all of the data. So a portion of the original that was maybe 10 hours will be 30+ at least in Remake.

As far as breeding, KoTR, etc., I believe the plan is to have those missions in the game but you will have to do it in new ways.

In other words, aside from the plot and characters, and materia, your knowledge of FF7 original will not assist you with FF7 Remake. It will be an entirely new challenge.
That's actually a bummer! Why not do a FFVII-2? That I'd be psyched on. I probably will pass unless it gets really good reviews. This seems like a game that when it comes out the reviews will all be negative just because people want to hate on it or all be really good because people won't want to admit isn't. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
just finished untitled goose game...if you ever wanted to be a kinda douche in a game..no not kinda..just a d-bag..play it..

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's actually a bummer! Why not do a FFVII-2? That I'd be psyched on. I probably will pass unless it gets really good reviews. This seems like a game that when it comes out the reviews will all be negative just because people want to hate on it or all be really good because people won't want to admit isn't. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lol

Its not a sequel

Its the ORIGINAL STORY AND CHARACTERS just more fleshed out, deeper, etc.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Did it really? I thought people loved that game. Either way, if they slapped together a FFVII-2 all these years later, it's gonna sell a ton. Just like the remake will too.
I didn’t think it was good, and most of my friends agreed, that’s the metric I was going off of. I honestly don’t know if it was a financial success, it probably was, or if it was well received, but I should have said I thought it sucked rather than bombed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did it really? I thought people loved that game. Either way, if they slapped together a FFVII-2 all these years later, it's gonna sell a ton. Just like the remake will too.

Because fans have been asking for a Remake with modern computing power and graphics for 20 years, myself included lol

Once all of the parts of Remake are released, I can actually see them doing a sequel. Maybe for PS5.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn’t think it was good, and most of my friends agreed, that’s the metric I was going off of. I honestly don’t know if it was a financial success, it probably was, or if it was well received, but I should have said I thought it sucked rather than bombed.
Gotcha. I liked X and X-2 but wasn't crazy about them and that is pretty much where I left off (I may not even have played X-2 when it was released but I honestly don't remember). I just assumed they were smash hits. Haha. I tried again with 13 and 15 and was not a fan. 7-9 are three of my favorite games of all time.

Either way, I would be infinitely more interested in a sequel than a remake, especially if they are changing the original. If it was a shot for shot remake I'd be more interested, but if you have something so perfect and loved, why mess with it? That is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Hopefully I am wrong and I will probably wind up getting it because I am sucker for all things nostalgic, but at this point I don't plan on it unless the good reviews are unavoidable.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Because fans have been asking for a Remake with modern computing power and graphics for 20 years, myself included lol

Once all of the parts of Remake are released, I can actually see them doing a sequel. Maybe for PS5.
I haven't! Haha. But honestly though, were you clamoring for a remake of the game or a new imagining where they add things and change things, etc.? Serious question just wondering what the feeling is. I can understand the upgraded graphics, etc. because obviously those were hurting given the era, and I'm not just talking about an HD version; I can definitely get behind a full new rendering.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I haven't! Haha. But honestly though, were you clamoring for a remake of the game or a new imagining where they add things and change things, etc.? Serious question just wondering what the feeling is. I can understand the upgraded graphics, etc. because obviously those were hurting given the era, and I'm not just talking about an HD version; I can definitely get behind a full new rendering.

I wanted more. I want as much additional FF7 content as possible.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Looks fantastic so far and everyone that played the demo has had glowing reviews.
We'll see. I don't put too much stock into pre-release reviews, good or bad. After it comes out that is a different story. I hope it is good and if it is I will probably get it. Until then I will fire up the PS1 perhaps and play on that!

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I rented X-2 and took it back after about an hour because I didn't feel like playing a Sailor Moon Cosplay Adventure. And for someone that played all the way through Eternal Sonata, that was still an emasculating bridge too far. I never even finished X because bosses started using the Zombie + Life instakill combo on me and after a 20 minute unskippable cutscene upon reaching Zanarkand and dying to that combo I said "Screw this, I'm done. Most of these characters suck anyway"

Reactions: Rebels57 and Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I rented X-2 and took it back after about an hour because I didn't feel like playing a Sailor Moon Cosplay Adventure. And for someone that played all the way through Eternal Sonata, that was still an emasculating bridge too far. I never even finished X because bosses started using the Zombie + Life instakill combo on me and after a 20 minute unskippable cutscene upon reaching Zanarkand and dying to that combo I said "Screw this, I'm done. Most of these characters suck anyway"
Was that boss undead? A phoenix down one hit kills him.

I played 9, the monkey tail one I think, up until the prison. Disk three I think. One save, because I didn’t know any better. The save corrupted. The ensuing butthurt made sure I haven’t touched it since.

Reactions: Starat327

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Was that boss undead? A phoenix down one hit kills him.

I played 9, the monkey tail one I think, up until the prison. Disk three I think. One save, because I didn’t know any better. The save corrupted. The ensuing ******** made sure I haven’t touched it since.
I swear TWO different bosses did this and they shouldn't have been undead. They were major villains and the programmers thought it was a great idea to start letting them use player exploit combos for some reason.

I'm sorry you didn't get to finish 9 because even though 7 got me in the FF gate, I loved 9 just as much.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I swear TWO different bosses did this and they shouldn't have been undead. They were major villains and the programmers thought it was a great idea to start letting them use player exploit combos for some reason.

I'm sorry you didn't get to finish 9 because even though 7 got me in the FF gate, I loved 9 just as much.

Lord i hope you went back and played VI, hands down the best in the series for me from a plot/story perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad