OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I haven't gotten a physical copy of anything for Xbox once I linked my account to my nephew's. That way any digital game one of us gets, the other can play for free.

I only wish he was on Team PS so I didn't have to buy two consoles. Xbox exclusives usually suck monkey nuts.

Also Borderlands 3...the new weapons and abilities are fantastic. The story is cool and answers most of the long-standing questions about the game universe. The humor is LAME AS HELL. You can tell the original writer is gone and someone tried to ape his style and failed miserably. Every other joke is the same.

1. Character slyly alludes to something.
2. Character then says exactly what they are alluding to anyway.

The first time when Moxxi does it and there is a long pause between her clarification, it's funny. The 98th time a character does it, I want to beat the **** out of the writer. The only characters I remember liking are Tina, The Buff Film Buff (who is imitation Tommy Wiseau and sounds just like him), and the two Robots near the end (one whom has to be inspired by Alan Rickman's portrayal of Marvin the Paranoid Android).

This is the game that will get me to do whatever it takes to be able to play videogames again, even moreso than Red Dead 2.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
From Discover on Google In No Possible Universe Should Microsoft Make The Xbox Series X Cost $600

600 for the new Xbox.

I been a Playstation guy last 5 yrs solely.

I'm getting the PS5.

You all know Hitman and games like that are my liking. Plus, sports, call of duty.

It's gonna cost alot for both services.

How many of you have both or just Xbox or PS5.

I'm saving now for both.

I have 2 extra credit cards ready for both.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
From Discover on Google In No Possible Universe Should Microsoft Make The Xbox Series X Cost $600

600 for the new Xbox.

I'm getting the PS5.

You all know Hitman and games like that are my liking. Plus, sports, call of duty.

I'm saving now for both.

I might end up getting both, but I’m getting the Xbox first.

Reactions: Striiker

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona

600 for the new Xbox.

I'm getting the PS5.

I'm saving now for both.

Thinking about buying a ps5 and immediately putting it on Ebay.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
started with a trial of Surviving the Aftermath...sort of survival city builder type thing..kinda like it..might buy it

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
After seeing the Xbox Series X debut a few weeks ago, and being thoroughly creeped out by the exclusive Hellblade II trailer, I happened to see the first game (Senua's Sacrifice) was on Xbox Game Pass. Reading up on it -- it came out 2 years ago -- I decided to check it out.

It's a short game -- about 8-9 hours -- but definitely a worthwhile experience. The gist is you're a 9th century Celtic female warrior, and you have to venture into Hell ("Hel") to recover the soul of your love, which was sacrificed to the Norse underworld during a Viking raid. So, it operates on that level. But it's also an allegory and exploration of mental illness, specifically psychosis and depression. The gameplay is a tad repetitive in hack and slash/puzzles, but I wouldn't call it not entertaining for its length. But the atmosphere is haunting (from the mythology to the cacophony of voices that play in your head....well, headset) and the themes heavy. Glad I went back and played it.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
After seeing the Xbox Series X debut a few weeks ago, and being thoroughly creeped out by the exclusive Hellblade II trailer, I happened to see the first game (Senua's Sacrifice) was on Xbox Game Pass. Reading up on it -- it came out 2 years ago -- I decided to check it out.

It's a short game -- about 8-9 hours -- but definitely a worthwhile experience. The gist is you're a 9th century Celtic female warrior, and you have to venture into Hell ("Hel") to recover the soul of your love, which was sacrificed to the Norse underworld during a Viking raid. So, it operates on that level. But it's also an allegory and exploration of mental illness, specifically psychosis and depression. The gameplay is a tad repetitive in hack and slash/puzzles, but I wouldn't call it not entertaining for its length. But the atmosphere is haunting (from the mythology to the cacophony of voices that play in your head....well, headset) and the themes heavy. Glad I went back and played it.
6-8 hours sounds like it might have been better off as condensed movie.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
6-8 hours sounds like it might have been better off as condensed movie.

I mean....each is an entirely different medium of art. What works in one doesn’t directly translate to the other. The setting of the game is too grandiose — there are real world cost factors and market differences — and the essence of the game is being placed directly in the head of someone with a traumatic psychosis. Games are inherently more experiential than any other medium. And I did say 8-9 hours, which is a perfectly acceptable length for a tight, memorable story. It’s not like you can even condense a comparable length miniseries to a movie without losing something. (I bought the game as part of a $1 subscription fee, but even brand new on release it was only $25-30).

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
RE: Steam holiday sales. I had Elite: Dangerous on my wishlist for a looooong time because I loved playing Elite Frontier and Elite First Encounters when I was a kid... but damn this game's control system is frustrating, heh

Reactions: trostol

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I mean....each is an entirely different medium of art. What works in one doesn’t directly translate to the other. The setting of the game is too grandiose — there are real world cost factors and market differences — and the essence of the game is being placed directly in the head of someone with a traumatic psychosis. Games are inherently more experiential than any other medium. And I did say 8-9 hours, which is a perfectly acceptable length for a tight, memorable story. It’s not like you can even condense a comparable length miniseries to a movie without losing something. (I bought the game as part of a $1 subscription fee, but even brand new on release it was only $25-30).
I’m sure some of time is walking to and from and that can be taken care of by screen transitions. The movie could be done final fantasy advent children style.
6-8 hours is a short short game, it’s dlc length.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m sure some of time is walking to and from and that can be taken care of by screen transitions. The movie could be done final fantasy advent children style.
6-8 hours is a short short game, it’s dlc length.

They’re a video game developer. Why on earth would they make a MOVIE? I’m really just perplexed by this conversation.

You keep saying 6 hours. I said 8-9 hours. And some of the best games I’ve played in recent years — like Limbo and Inside — are half that length. Games are too long these days, and they regularly sacrifice compact narratives and experiences for filler. It wasn’t a full cost game; it was made by an independent game developer; it’s an excellent video game.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
They’re a video game developer. Why on earth would they make a MOVIE? I’m really just perplexed by this conversation.

You keep saying 6 hours. I said 8-9 hours. And some of the best games I’ve played in recent years — like Limbo and Inside — are half that length. Games are too long these days, and they regularly sacrifice compact narratives and experiences for filler. It wasn’t a full cost game; it was made by an independent game developer; it’s an excellent video game.
I have no idea where I got the 6-8 from. I’m not sure what inside is, but I wouldn’t consider Limbo a game. It was more of an interactive art piece, a beautifully done interactive art piece.

Soup Enthusiast

Good Soup
Jan 25, 2016
so NHL 20 kinda sucks. thanks for an annoying coach morale feature in GM mode and a weird dynamic camera. everything else is exactly the same.

Reactions: Striiker

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Hellblade is excellent

Reactions: Flyotes and Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad