OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yep, and it's basically a Warriors game.

Honestly, the only reason I can think of as to why the Switch isn't getting the P5 game is because of the size of all of it. Would be too big (in terms of storage) for carts and for the system.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Been playing a bunch of ESO lately..undecided on buying the collection or subbing to ESO plus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ah nice. If it's been a while, prepare for power creep. I've been playing since closed beta. CDP used to play too until he left the internet behind.

@JojoTheWhale Christ man, you arent kidding. Ive got an insanely farmable Tornado Shot/Rain of Arrows Life on hit build on my ranger, but the second anything attacks me with magic after that -30 Res debuff from act 5/6 - whenever it was - forget it. Im level 62 or so, and cant kill a boss to save my life without the death spam tactic.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale Christ man, you arent kidding. Ive got an insanely farmable Tornado Shot/Rain of Arrows Life on hit build on my ranger, but the second anything attacks me with magic after that -30 Res debuff from act 5/6 - whenever it was - forget it. Im level 62 or so, and cant kill a boss to save my life without the death spam tactic.

Hah. Yeah, you really need to build up your defenses. Try to stay Resistance capped (75% on your character sheet) for Fire/Cold/Lightning basically from Act 4 or so forward and invest into Life nodes in the Passive tree when possible. Get Life on gear when possible too. Don't worry about Chaos Res until endgame.

If you want some leveling gear, just let me know. Almost everyone's first character is a complete failure, so making it to 62 is impressive. If you're following a build guide, Tornado Shot is notorious for being squishy. It generally doesn't feel great until you really invest currency into it in the endgame, at which point you click randomly and clear 3 or 4 screens worth of mobs.

A common tactic for builds like that is to farm Blood Aqueduct (first map in Act 9) until you overlevel the rest of the content a bit.

*Edit* Did you get a loot filter? If not, definitely do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hah. Yeah, you really need to build up your defenses. Try to stay Resistance capped (75% on your character sheet) for Fire/Cold/Lightning basically from Act 4 or so forward and invest into Life nodes in the Passive tree when possible. Get Life on gear when possible too. Don't worry about Chaos Res until endgame.

If you want some leveling gear, just let me know. Almost everyone's first character is a complete failure, so making it to 62 is impressive. If you're following a build guide, Tornado Shot is notorious for being squishy. It generally doesn't feel great until you really invest currency into it in the endgame, at which point you click randomly and clear 3 or 4 screens worth of mobs.

A common tactic for builds like that is to farm Blood Aqueduct (first map in Act 9) until you overlevel the rest of the content a bit.

Yeah, i think i went too far into "zomg dps" stats and now im struggling severely. I was always just prioritizing equipment for best dps as well, but i think i need to re-think that now as well.

I mostly followed a tornado shot build, but went off the deep end at about level 40-45 and just started speccing for DPS as i was pretty much killing everything with ease and wanted to smoothen out the arc that i knew had to be coming at some point. Little did i know it was coming in the sense of lightning bolts one shotting me. I can still completely wreck just about anything pre-boss by standing there and leeching health on rain of arrows with mana/life on hit and fast cast. I pretty much just hold down right click and cover the screen with arrows and theres enough damage to healing ratio where it doesnt matter. Problem with bosses is that unless they are spawning adds, there isnt enough to hit to balance it back out.

Im currently in Act 8 i think - so im pronbably not far off from where you are suggesting, i just have been cautious about approaching bosses with too much EXP in the bank because i dont want to start the level all the way over, lol. I love the idea of not being able to re-spec without an extremely high cost until you want to do a full re-spec and cant afford it, lol.

Never even heard of a loot filter - i'll have to look into that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, i think i went too far into "zomg dps" stats and now im struggling severely. I was always just prioritizing equipment for best dps as well, but i think i need to re-think that now as well.

I mostly followed a tornado shot build, but went off the deep end at about level 40-45 and just started speccing for DPS as i was pretty much killing everything with ease and wanted to smoothen out the arc that i knew had to be coming at some point. Little did i know it was coming in the sense of lightning bolts one shotting me. I can still completely wreck just about anything pre-boss by standing there and leeching health on rain of arrows with mana/life on hit and fast cast. I pretty much just hold down right click and cover the screen with arrows and theres enough damage to healing ratio where it doesnt matter. Problem with bosses is that unless they are spawning adds, there isnt enough to hit to balance it back out.

Im currently in Act 8 i think - so im pronbably not far off from where you are suggesting, i just have been cautious about approaching bosses with too much EXP in the bank because i dont want to start the level all the way over, lol. I love the idea of not being able to re-spec without an extremely high cost until you want to do a full re-spec and cant afford it, lol.

Never even heard of a loot filter - i'll have to look into that.

Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - NeverSink's LOOTFILTER v6.7♦ in-depth ♦ endgame+leveling 2in1 ♦ user-friendly ♦ multiversion - Path of Exile

Now only things you want to loot and/or Identify will show up, highlighted more based on their value. I would start with the Semi-Strict version. It’s transformative for the game. No one wants to sort through that mess.

Also, you should have done at least the first Labyrinth if not first two by now if you haven’t. Those are accessible after you do the green quests in your log that mention Solving Trials of Ascendancy. Ascendancy points make a huge difference — think of them as subclasses.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Forum - Gameplay Help and Discussion - NeverSink's LOOTFILTER v6.7♦ in-depth ♦ endgame+leveling 2in1 ♦ user-friendly ♦ multiversion - Path of Exile

Now only things you want to loot and/or Identify will show up, highlighted more based on their value. I would start with the Semi-Strict version. It’s transformative for the game. No one wants to sort through that mess.

Also, you should have done at least the first Labyrinth if not first two by now if you haven’t. Those are accessible after you do the green quests in your log that mention Solving Trials of Ascendancy. Ascendancy points make a huge difference — think of them as subclasses.

Ill have to take a look at that post. Seems like a good way to kill an hour long conference call today. I do find myself constantly sorting through piles of junk to the point where most times i dont even bother anymore unless i see yellow or orange, or a bow/useful armor with a bunch of linked sockets. I feel like i need to do more digging - ive been basically just going insanely evasion heavy which makes damage a little more spikey - and i feel like smoothing out the incoming DPS might be helpful, just not sure how to go about it or if its worthwhile for the class.

I tried the ascendancy boss once and got spanked after getting it to about 45% or so. I havent gone back in, but i was reading last night that thats something i should prioritize. I was just too far down the barrel aged porter hole to really put anything in to action.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ill have to take a look at that post. Seems like a good way to kill an hour long conference call today. I do find myself constantly sorting through piles of junk to the point where most times i dont even bother anymore unless i see yellow or orange, or a bow/useful armor with a bunch of linked sockets. I feel like i need to do more digging - ive been basically just going insanely evasion heavy which makes damage a little more spikey - and i feel like smoothing out the incoming DPS might be helpful, just not sure how to go about it or if its worthwhile for the class.

I tried the ascendancy boss once and got spanked after getting it to about 45% or so. I havent gone back in, but i was reading last night that thats something i should prioritize. I was just too far down the barrel aged porter hole to really put anything in to action.

For the most part, don’t worry about whether something is an Evasion/Armor/Energy Shield base with two exceptions — you’re at the endgame and specifically making an Evasion/Energy Shield stacking build or you need to re-color the sockets with Chromatic Orbs. In the case of the latter, Armor bases are more likely to roll Red Sockets, Evasion Green, and Energy Shield Blue.

If you need a little help on bosses and don’t have a Decoy Totem socketed in your gear, it might be a good idea to pick one up. You don’t even need to link it to anything else.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For the most part, don’t worry about whether something is an Evasion/Armor/Energy Shield base with two exceptions — you’re at the endgame and specifically making an Evasion/Energy Shield stacking build or you need to re-color the sockets with Chromatic Orbs. In the case of the latter, Armor bases are more likely to roll Red Sockets, Evasion Green, and Energy Shield Blue.

If you need a little help on bosses and don’t have a Decoy Totem socketed in your gear, it might be a good idea to pick one up. You don’t even need to link it to anything else.

Got it. So at this point, I'm assuming i should be focusing more on heavier resitances for armor and less on "herp derp +50 dps" kinda stuff. Is it safe to say that in general your DPS should be coming from multi-linked sockets and your armor should be more about armor?

I probably need to do more reading on what does/doesnt work, things you should be looking for, etc.. I got a templar to 40 as well, but I just wasnt a fan of the playstyle. It felt too caster-y and not "paladin" enough for me.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Got it. So at this point, I'm assuming i should be focusing more on heavier resitances for armor and less on "herp derp +50 dps" kinda stuff. Is it safe to say that in general your DPS should be coming from multi-linked sockets and your armor should be more about armor?

I probably need to do more reading on what does/doesnt work, things you should be looking for, etc.. I got a templar to 40 as well, but I just wasnt a fan of the playstyle. It felt too caster-y and not "paladin" enough for me.

Exactly. Capping resistances and getting more Life is how you solve all of your problems. It’s great to fit DPS stats on your armor where you can, but that’s usually not until the endgame systems unless you have leveling gear from another character or currency to buy it. Especially if you’re an Attack build, your weapon should be all about DPS, though. Links are the main factor, as you said. Try to have your main damage skill in a 4 link by this point.

Templars are mostly focused on Elemental damage unless you choose Guardian as your Ascendancy. At lower levels that tends to be casters. At higher levels, you can more effectively scale Elemental damage with Attacks, but it’s very gear-dependent and not well-positioned in the current meta.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Truer words have never been spoken. Oops, I just died again, and I'm not even logged in.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Exactly. Capping resistances and getting more Life is how you solve all of your problems. It’s great to fit DPS stats on your armor where you can, but that’s usually not until the endgame systems unless you have leveling gear from another character or currency to buy it. Especially if you’re an Attack build, your weapon should be all about DPS, though. Links are the main factor, as you said. Try to have your main damage skill in a 4 link by this point.

Templars are mostly focused on Elemental damage unless you choose Guardian as your Ascendancy. At lower levels that tends to be casters. At higher levels, you can more effectively scale Elemental damage with Attacks, but it’s very gear-dependent and not well-positioned in the current meta.

Yeah, i have both Tornado shot and Rain of arrows in a 4 link - i cant recall off top of my head but i think tornado is fast cast, greater multiple, and crit support maybe? Rain of arrows is life on hit, mana leech, and fast cast. Im probably doing something woefully wrong there, but it worked up until now, heh.

Looks like ill have to revisit my gear pretty heavily. Im not super impressed with my bow, but i only find one half decent bow for every 15 two handed axes, which is fitting, i suppose.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, i have both Tornado shot and Rain of arrows in a 4 link - i cant recall off top of my head but i think tornado is fast cast, greater multiple, and crit support maybe? Rain of arrows is life on hit, mana leech, and fast cast. Im probably doing something woefully wrong there, but it worked up until now, heh.

Looks like ill have to revisit my gear pretty heavily. Im not super impressed with my bow, but i only find one half decent bow for every 15 two handed axes, which is fitting, i suppose.

Well if you have Faster Casting on either one of those, it won't do anything. They're both Attacks, so you would need Faster Attacks instead. The gems have tags at the top of the tooltip to show you which types of Gem they are -- Attack, Spell, Duration, Projectile, Lightning, Fire, etc.

In general, whatever you're doing most of your damage with gets Support gems that increase the damage. Other pieces of gear will have utility setups. For example, you can grab some Life/Mana Leech on your tree, allowing you to drop gems like Life on Hit from your main damaging abilities in favor of more damage.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well if you have Faster Casting on either one of those, it won't do anything. They're both Attacks, so you would need Faster Attacks instead. The gems have tags at the top of the tooltip to show you which types of Gem they are -- Attack, Spell, Duration, Projectile, Lightning, Fire, etc.

In general, whatever you're doing most of your damage with gets Support gems that increase the damage. Other pieces of gear will have utility setups. For example, you can grab some Life/Mana Leech on your tree, allowing you to drop gems like Life on Hit from your main damaging abilities in favor of more damage.

Yeah, sorry, faster attacks i think, not cast. My bad. Youre making it incredibly difficult right now to not bust out my gaming laptop next to my work one, haha!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You knew i wasnt going to be able to resist..

Tornado shot with increased crit, faster attacks, and greater multiple projectiles
Rain of arrows wit mana leech, life gain on hit, and faster projectiles (im fairly confident this is useless here)
burning arrow with vicious projectiles, greater multiple projectiles, and physical to lightning (which is also useles here i believe)

Reality is i never use anything but tornado/rain, so i think i was just using the phyiscal to lightning to level the gem.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You knew i wasnt going to be able to resist..

Tornado shot with increased crit, faster attacks, and greater multiple projectiles
Rain of arrows wit mana leech, life gain on hit, and faster projectiles (im fairly confident this is useless here)
burning arrow with vicious projectiles, greater multiple projectiles, and physical to lightning (which is also useles here i believe)

Reality is i never use anything but tornado/rain, so i think i was just using the phyiscal to lightning to level the gem.

Physical to Lightning is actually quite good for Tornado Shot because the second line of the Gem is "Supported Skills gain (10-29)% of Physical Damage as Extra Lightning Damage." Since you do mostly Physical damage when leveling with it, it actually adds quite a bit.

If I was leveling a TS build and was on a 4 Link, I would use TS, GMP, Physical Projectile Attack Damage, and Physical to Lightning. If you haven't yet, try out Herald of Ice (and Herald of Thunder). For leveling purposes, they're moderate damage upgrades, but huge in the way of quality of life. They don't have to be linked to anything to see the benefits.

The game is basically a sandbox. There are third party tools for everything from trading to wiki lookups to price checking to accurate DPS simulations. The wiki is extensive if you're not sure what something is or can be found. Path of Exile Wiki

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Physical to Lightning is actually quite good for Tornado Shot because the second line of the Gem is "Supported Skills gain (10-29)% of Physical Damage as Extra Lightning Damage." Since you do mostly Physical damage when leveling with it, it actually adds quite a bit.

If I was leveling a TS build and was on a 4 Link, I would use TS, GMP, Physical Projectile Attack Damage, and Physical to Lightning. If you haven't yet, try out Herald of Ice (and Herald of Thunder). For leveling purposes, they're moderate damage upgrades, but huge in the way of quality of life. They don't have to be linked to anything to see the benefits.

The game is basically a sandbox. There are third party tools for everything from trading to wiki lookups to price checking to accurate DPS simulations. The wiki is extensive if you're not sure what something is or can be found. Path of Exile Wiki

Yeah, I was thinking of that as i was typing out what i have set up. Im gonna have to do some serious re-work, I think. The concept of having to plan your character out from the beginning stages is really awesome - until you realize that you didnt plan right at higher levels, haha. I have a feeling im going to end up starting over from scratch here to build a better character, which is unfortunate, but almost feels necessary.

Guess we'll see how it feels after doing some re-work and trying to find some gear that helps with survivability.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, I was thinking of that as i was typing out what i have set up. Im gonna have to do some serious re-work, I think. The concept of having to plan your character out from the beginning stages is really awesome - until you realize that you didnt plan right at higher levels, haha. I have a feeling im going to end up starting over from scratch here to build a better character, which is unfortunate, but almost feels necessary.

Guess we'll see how it feels after doing some re-work and trying to find some gear that helps with survivability.

If the idea of fixing things by rerolling is too daunting, you’re welcome to enough Orbs of Regret to fix it, but I’m guessing you’re actually fine. You can pick up some Respec points by doing some side quests too. Also, try the Lab again. Will help a ton. My first run of Normal Lab took me 2+ hours and I died on the last Izaro fight. That’s just the learning curve. Luckily they’ve shortened it.

It’s funny. They used to put a ton of work into the new player experience, but at some point they realized that no matter what they did, player retention rates didn’t materially change. The people that enjoyed figuring out systems and complicated decisions stayed. The rest moved on. Warframe devs came to the same realization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad