OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If the idea of fixing things by rerolling is too daunting, you’re welcome to enough Orbs of Regret to fix it, but I’m guessing you’re actually fine. You can pick up some Respec points by doing some side quests too. Also, try the Lab again. Will help a ton. My first run of Normal Lab took me 2+ hours when that patch launched and I died on the last Izaro fight. That’s just the learning curve. Luckily they’ve shortened it.

It’s funny. They used to put a ton of work into the new player experience, but at some point they realized that no matter what they did, player retention rates didn’t materially change. The people that enjoyed figuring out systems and complicated decisions stayed. The rest moved on. Warframe devs came to the same realization.

Yeah, I've got a decent amount of the respec points banked up, just need to dive into where i would need to back out of, and where i would need to dedicate them to. I think I could probably back out a few of the minor DPS nodes to get to the life regen/on hit/ etc to increase survivability, and then re-gain the DPS by using more DPS oriented support gems.

To your point - its a sandbox and there's no 'wrong' way to do it, i suppose. I do feel like I've kinda hit a wall at 62-63 or so, to the point where evne hitting a rare monster with the wrong prefixes is a wipe (sidenote: i was running around near the Gemling Warriors the other night, and encountered a rare monster i literally couldnt damage, at all. Talk about frustrating, lol!). Its just a strange feeling when I could literally run the gauntlet for 7 acts, to hit a curve this strong, for me.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, I've got a decent amount of the respec points banked up, just need to dive into where i would need to back out of, and where i would need to dedicate them to. I think I could probably back out a few of the minor DPS nodes to get to the life regen/on hit/ etc to increase survivability, and then re-gain the DPS by using more DPS oriented support gems.

To your point - its a sandbox and there's no 'wrong' way to do it, i suppose. I do feel like I've kinda hit a wall at 62-63 or so, to the point where evne hitting a rare monster with the wrong prefixes is a wipe (sidenote: i was running around near the Gemling Warriors the other night, and encountered a rare monster i literally couldnt damage, at all. Talk about frustrating, lol!). Its just a strange feeling when I could literally run the gauntlet for 7 acts, to hit a curve this strong, for me.

One thing I forgot to mention -- this guy is the go-to source for beginners.

Engineering Eternity

The build guides are good, but the important stuff are the Beginners series and mechanic explanations.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
One thing I forgot to mention -- this guy is the go-to source for beginners.

Engineering Eternity

The build guides are good, but the important stuff are the Beginners series and mechanic explanations.

Ill have to take a look when I'm finished up with work today. I know there are definitely some basics that im probably missing that would be helpful.

IS doing the memory nexus stuff worthwhile, or not really? I never really seem to get anything good out of them.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ill have to take a look when I'm finished up with work today. I know there are definitely some basics that im probably missing that would be helpful.

IS doing the memory nexus stuff worthwhile, or not really? I never really seem to get anything good out of them.

It's the least popular league mechanic in the last few years. I wouldn't even consider worrying about it until you get to maps (the endgame after the campaign). It's super obtuse.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's the least popular league mechanic in the last few years. I wouldn't even consider worrying about it until you get to maps (the endgame after the campaign). It's super obtuse.

Makes sense. Yeah, I keep collecting these dusk/Dawn things and stashing them away for no apparent reason right now

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Makes sense. Yeah, I keep collecting these dusk/Dawn things and stashing them away for no apparent reason right now

Definitely save those. They sell immediately to people like me, especially in bulk. It’s actually common to pay more for bulk because it’s hard to find them.

I've wanted to try PoE for ages but it looks like work.

It is work to learn the systems, but unless you really try to Min/max your endgame to hyper efficiency, it’s mostly just understanding defense matters, cap your Fire/Cold/Lightning Resistances, links are vital because they scale abilities powerfully, every class can basically do everything in its own way, and a 2 minute read on how multipliers stack.

The rest is video game intuition.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It will take me a month to decide what class I want to be.

I’m 7 years in. I have 10+ characters on my to do list at all times. Every 3 month new league adds massive amounts of content, new skills, and buffs to old ones to keep up with powercreep and shake up the meta. Welcome to glorious hell.

Also, the way to go is to try to pick a skill that interests you, then look at the different ways you can do it. Classes aren’t restrictive the way they are in most games. I’ve done Cyclone on 8 different classes in 8 completely different ways — sometimes the Cyclone did most of the damage, sometimes it shot out Molten projectiles that did the damage, sometimes it summoned minions that did the damage for me.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'll start here: my favorite class in Diablo 3 is Monk.

What should I do with that information?

It’s not going to be an obvious translation because classes aren’t so rigidly designed. Every class can use every ability.

Which set/build was your favorite? I would look at a Double Strike Champion, Frost Blades Raider, or if you really enjoyed the Rune for the one Monk Generator that teleported you to your target, something with Consecrated Path. For CP, Juggernaut would be the tankiest version, Champion more damage focused, and then you’d have 5 or 6 other hipster options.

All are cheap to get off the ground and beginner friendly. At endgame, they all play extremely quickly like a D3 Monk.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It’s not going to be an obvious translation because classes aren’t so rigidly designed. Every class can use every ability.

Which set/build was your favorite? I would look at a Double Strike Champion, Frost Blades Raider, or if you really enjoyed the Rune for the one Monk Generator that teleported you to your target, something with Consecrated Path. For CP, Juggernaut would be the tankiest version, Champion more damage focused, and then you’d have 5 or 6 other hipster options.

All are cheap to get off the ground and beginner friendly. At endgame, they all play extremely quickly like a D3 Monk.

If he gets in there, show him that build with the two claws that I played - that was somewhat similar to the monk I had in D3. Same weapons, anyway IIRC.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

My favorite builds were the seven sided strike one and actually that dash oriented set that apparently everyone else hates. I guess because it sucks at highest level but I didn't play enough to get there so I had fun dashing to enemies and detonating them.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My favorite builds were the seven sided strike one and actually that dash oriented set that apparently everyone else hates. I guess because it sucks at highest level but I didn't play enough to get there so I had fun dashing to enemies and detonating them.

Oh Seven Sided Strike. Let me introduce you to Flicker Strike. You can both have seizures and collect tons of loot quickly.

Flicker Strike is very good, but I literally can't play it because it hurts my eyes to refocus that quickly over and over and over again.

I would actually try Consecrated Path knowing that. Here's an example of the tankiest version of that. The video is a couple of patches old, but it plays the same. It can go faster with different versions too.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
@JojoTheWhale Everytime I read a build, I keep reading equip [insert unique item here] asap. I understand that some come from prophecies, but am I missing something on these? Or is the assumption that you're just able to "buy" these with orbs etc from other players?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh Seven Sided Strike. Let me introduce you to Flicker Strike. You can both have seizures and collect tons of loot quickly.

Flicker Strike is very good, but I literally can't play it because it hurts my eyes to refocus that quickly over and over and over again.

I would actually try Consecrated Path knowing that. Here's an example of the tankiest version of that. The video is a couple of patches old, but it plays the same. It can go faster with different versions too.

I had 19 strokes the first time flicker strike attacked. That's a no.

Second video looks like a Hammerbro Crusader with the hammers on fast forward, and that happens to be my second favorite class after Monk in D3, so when I finally get to play I'll do CP.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad