OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I rejected the poison swamp immediately and didn't feel like dealing with the truck-sized crabs so I knocked off an invader and called it quits for the night.

On my first playthrough, I got almost to the Sage but didn't fight her. I got caught up with those two exiled nights living on the steps leading to Farron Keep, and they stomped me over and over until I moved to a different game. This time around I stomped them without taking a hit. Experience matters I guess.

I wasn't remotely ready to face a boss when I first stumbled into the fight area. I looked at it and thought "I bet this place has a bonfire right before the boss" and then immediately found myself facing a boss.

The upside of the poison area is that it has some good upgrades. Flask stuff, etc. There is also a bonfire near 3 mobs -- 2 spear guys and a magic user (that barfs poison clouds). It exists next to a bridge. That bonfire is great for leveling. Just kill the 3 mobs. Rest. Kill again, etc. Particularly good if you feel under-leveled OR have a stat you are close to getting to say, 30. Or if you need just 1 more 1000 souls later in the game for any reason (close to an upgrade cost, etc). It gives about 1k souls per reset. Beware the soft and hard stat caps though, so you maximize your points. I'm particular, so if I am at 29 strength and I can get 30 by farming that spot, I'll do so for the round #. In addition to all the upgrades in the area, there is a ladder that takes up you to a great spot with more upgrades, a mini boss, and even more upgrades, with a nice spot for praising the sun.

Those knights are hard -- 1st time I faced them I got sick of drinking estus so just went down the ladder. Found the bonfire. They followed me! Now I make short work of them, but experience is the huge factor like you said.

My favorite fights are when you don't realize once is coming (like CB and Father G in Bloodborne). Over time I've gotten a lot better at recognizing arenas though. I still like the "Surprise, MF!" moment. Or bosses that have multiple phases / tricks in store.

Edit: Give BB a chance after DS3 -- it really is a masterpiece. Once it "clicks" (usually at Vicar Amelia-- ) -- you're beyond hooked.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The upside of the poison area is that it has some good upgrades. Flask stuff, etc. There is also a bonfire near 3 mobs -- 2 spear guys and a magic user (that barfs poison clouds). It exists next to a bridge. That bonfire is great for leveling. Just kill the 3 mobs. Rest. Kill again, etc. Particularly good if you feel under-leveled OR have a stat you are close to getting to say, 30. Or if you need just 1 more 1000 souls later in the game for any reason (close to an upgrade cost, etc). It gives about 1k souls per reset. Beware the soft and hard stat caps though, so you maximize your points. I'm particular, so if I am at 29 strength and I can get 30 by farming that spot, I'll do so for the round #. In addition to all the upgrades in the area, there is a ladder that takes up you to a great spot with more upgrades, a mini boss, and even more upgrades, with a nice spot for praising the sun.

Those knights are hard -- 1st time I faced them I got sick of drinking estus so just went down the ladder. Found the bonfire. They followed me! Now I make short work of them, but experience is the huge factor like you said.

My favorite fights are when you don't realize once is coming (like CB and Father G in Bloodborne). Over time I've gotten a lot better at recognizing arenas though. I still like the "Surprise, MF!" moment. Or bosses that have multiple phases / tricks in store.

Jesus did you make this game?

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
So I got Bloodbourne upon release never having played (or even heard of) a Dark Souls game. I played it for like a week and couldn't even reach the first boss. I uninstalled and haven't gone back. Over the weekend my friend was talking it up so I started playing again on Saturday night and I will be uninstalling it again when I get home.
I stupidly bought it used because a friend was damn near begging me to get it and play with him. I played for an hour and then damned myself for paying money for it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Jesus did you make this game?

Nope. Haha. I'm actually upset with myself for not being able to describe these areas better. I SHOULD know the names of everything. Have you played them? The fanbases (Souls, Bloodborne) are very much like myself. Advocates. They correct a lot of the problems with modern games (the constant hand-holding, too easy, spoon feed you boring plot, grift you into specific builds, aren't replayable, so forth.)

There is even a long running Dark Souls podcast where they talk about this phenomenon a lot. The guy interviews different people related to the game. It has saved people from suicide (so they claim)-- brought family together, a host of other items.

On other websites, it's a daily thread from someone new: "Omg this game is a masterpiece what have I been doing with my life." Very common. You get some of that with Witcher 3 as well. One downfall is the games can ruin you for other games.

Reactions: Rebels57

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
So I got Bloodbourne upon release never having played (or even heard of) a Dark Souls game. I played it for like a week and couldn't even reach the first boss. I uninstalled and haven't gone back. Over the weekend my friend was talking it up so I started playing again on Saturday night and I will be uninstalling it again when I get home.

noob

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Edit: Give BB a chance after DS3 -- it really is a masterpiece. Once it "clicks" (usually at Vicar Amelia-- ) -- you're beyond hooked.

The relief of beating a boss for the first time is top notch, but the most satisfying thing overall is facing down an enemy that had been destroying you, having something click, and then wrecking them in turn. Or barring that, I stand far away, shoot with bow, run away. That's how I handled the fire demon, and that's how I handled that black knight in Crabland. I can always get close on the black knight, but then he manages to land two hits and I'm dead. So playing like a jerk solved that.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
n00bcity and I ain't ashamed. Gimme a damn game I can play not a game that is a chore.
I've been playing video games since the original Atari and I say Dark Souls is overrated, so all the "noob" crap is unfounded. I also don't play those stupid platformers like Super Meat Boy for the same reason. If your platformer is tougher than stuff like OG Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden, you're either a terrible game designer or you're an asshole . :laugh:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I've been playing video games since the original Atari and I say Dark Souls is overrated, so all the "noob" crap is unfounded. I also don't play those stupid platformers like Super Meat Boy for the same reason. If your platformer is tougher than stuff like OG Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden, you're either a terrible game designer or you're an ******* . :laugh:

I'm not sure NES Ninja Gaiden is any easier than most Souls games at all. The controls are simpler and the game is a lot shorter, but on pure difficulty they're not that different to me. They're both games where you absolutely have to execute or you're dead.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The new doom looks crazy. I haven’t played any doom since iddqd was godmode but I might pick this one up

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Speaking of Doom. Doom III has always been a hate it/love it game since it came out, I wonder what is the perception of it around here? I loved it. It wasnt a remake of the first one, it was different, the atmosphere absolutely got me back in 2004. Great game

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm not sure NES Ninja Gaiden is any easier than most Souls games at all. The controls are simpler and the game is a lot shorter, but on pure difficulty they're not that different to me. They're both games where you absolutely have to execute or you're dead.
Being a lot shorter after such grueling demands makes the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy much less painful. Plus they have actual stories with cool cut scenes (for the time). Beating the original Ninja Gaiden was on a tier of gamer rep like beating Mike Tyson in Punch-Out. You were probably in the top 5% of everyone if you pulled them off.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Being a lot shorter after such grueling demands makes the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy much less painful. Plus they have actual stories with cool cut scenes (for the time). Beating the original Ninja Gaiden was on a tier of gamer rep like beating Mike Tyson in Punch-Out. You were probably in the top 5% of everyone if you pulled them off.

You think only 5% beat Tyson in Punch Out? Didn’t realize it was that low. Was one of my favorite games as a kid. Had to play it a neighbor’s, though, because I didn’t have a Nintendo. I think I was around 12 when I beat Tyson the first time. It was definitely a great feeling.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

My friend Matt has been trying to beat Tyson at my house almost every Friday night for months now lol

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
So playing like a jerk solved that.

The game is a jerk to you. It's only fair.

I've been playing video games since the original Atari and I say Dark Souls is overrated, so all the "noob" crap is unfounded.

Not sure about the noob stuff, but it really speaks to your determination to get better at a game (people that play the game without surrendering). Speaking of tough Ninja games, the next FromSoftware game, Sekiro, is half stealth, half fighting, has some throw backs to Tenchu, Stealth Assassin. Some game footage has been leaked, it looks great. It's supposed to be harder than Dark Souls and more open world. You get to "die twice" as a consequence of it being so hard, and use that to your advantage. Mobs forget about you, allowing you to resume stealth, backstab them. It also has a lot of aerial inclusions.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
The game is a jerk to you. It's only fair.

Not sure about the noob stuff, but it really speaks to your determination to get better at a game (people that play the game without surrendering). Speaking of tough Ninja games, the next FromSoftware game, Sekiro, is half stealth, half fighting, has some throw backs to Tenchu, Stealth Assassin. Some game footage has been leaked, it looks great. It's supposed to be harder than Dark Souls and more open world. You get to "die twice" as a consequence of it being so hard, and use that to your advantage. Mobs forget about you, allowing you to resume stealth, backstab them. It also has a lot of aerial inclusions.
Tenchu was the shit

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Guys, Not sure if any of you are a fan of the Hitman Video game.

Hitman season 1 for Ps4 xbox and PC came out in 2016 and was probably the best video game I ever played besides zelda ocriana of time.

Hitman 2 is coming out in Nov, there will be several editions, I'm getting ultimate it will be 149.99 min to reserve is 25.00 down at gamestop.

Here is a trailer for those that haven't played it.

If you decide to get it, and didn't play season 1, season 1 will be available for download with hitman 2 so this is great for those who missed season 1.

Reactions: dingbathero

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It worth doing the GameStop deal where you can trade in your Xbox One for $200 towards a Xbox One X?

I have the original Xbox One so it's getting a little long in the tooth, I think. I have no idea what's new/better with the X though.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Hardware really is way better compared to the original system. If I were to recommend upgrading, I would. I upgraded from my original PS4 to my PS4 Pro.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My nephew frequently points out how ungodly long it takes my original Xbox One to do anything. I don't see the point of upgrading unless I'm getting a 4K TV which I don't plan to any time soon. Got too many bills to pay.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
My nephew frequently points out how ungodly long it takes my original Xbox One to do anything. I don't see the point of upgrading unless I'm getting a 4K TV which I don't plan to any time soon. Got too many bills to pay.

I’m currently having to re-download every game on the new system. Torture.

Worst part is that this is 4K but I play on my monitor now which isn’t 4K after playing the old system on a 4K tv for years.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
It worth doing the GameStop deal where you can trade in your Xbox One for $200 towards a Xbox One X?

I have the original Xbox One so it's getting a little long in the tooth, I think. I have no idea what's new/better with the X though.
How long is this going on for?maybe I could ditch my ps4 there and rid myself of the headache it’s caused me.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I think the small print says 8/28.... so next Tuesday.

A PS4 gets you $250 towards it actually.
Boo, it’s for the Xbox x only. I thought I could upgrade to the ps4 pro or whatever it is. I don’t need the X, and without being able to combine a ps4 and Xbox one towards the X, there’s no point for me. That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad