OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
G

Got back to playing mtg earlier this year when mtg arena came out.

Much easier&cheaper to play it on computer rather than buying actual cards and go out play with them.

Initial investment, yes. In the long run, it depends on what you play and how much you want to put into it. If you buy paper cards or their digital versions on MODO, you can sell them later.

Reactions: mdm815

Hapiii

Jun 30, 2013
Initial investment, yes. In the long run, it depends on what you play and how much you want to put into it. If you buy paper cards or their digital versions on MODO, you can sell them later.
True. I used to have thousands of cards but I sold them for good money. My brother has cards for like +10000$, it's insane how much you can get from some of them.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’ve never played any table top games but I enjoy painting miniatures . Just started getting into modifying hot wheels cars to look post apocalyptic.

Reactions: kudymen and mdm815

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
So we’ve got some Mtg guys in here ehh? And did i see someone was playing the Star Wars miniatures a few pages back? Always wanted to check them out but they’re pricey and I’d have to find a way to talk my boys into it

X-Wing Star Wars miniatures game is releasing a second edition in about a month. The core set is not that pricey and quite playable in itself. The game gets pricey if the addiction strikes and you got to get all the ships available. Great game and the second edition looks even better.

Reactions: mdm815

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Back in the day after college but before wives and kids were a thing, myself and 6 or 7 of my buddies would get together every week for "gamenight". Gamenight consisted of getting completely tore up while playing various console games and then eating some sort of delicious meal for dinner. FIFA was a huge one for its multiplayer ability, but we would play anything from Rock Band to Braid to Uncharted to Gears of War to CoD to Trivial Pursuit to Mario Party/Kart and so on. It was a phenomenal time to be alive.

The guys I lived with for my last 2 years of college, and then the group for two years after that, did the same. The second group was both board games and Halo 3, we had a blast with each. We ran an Axis and Allies game for ages, the kind of thing where someone would make a move at any random time that they could, if we couldn't all be there at once, depending on whose turn it was.

The first group was all video games. Your mentioning Gears of War is what reminding me of this. I never participated myself, I was a PC FPS snob at the time and hadn't done console seriously for a bit so I didn't want to subject myself to the trash talk if I sucked. But I had one roommate who forever and always tried to get me to play, and trashtalked me until finally I said "Yep. That's it. We go, now." We went one on one, first to 3 kills wins. I had two hard-fought kills, and then he got two. On the last round we both ended up on the opposite sides of some fountain or whatever. I figured out that he was watching my half of the screen on the rounds where he killed me, so I decided to bait him. I pulled out my grenade. He immediately yelled "YOU'RE f***ED" and charged. I switched to shotgun and blindfired his head off. It was so goddamned satisfying after all his trash talk. He flipped the controller and ran out yelling gibberish. It was fantastic.

It also wasn't instructive. When he saw me playing Rome:TW he started doing the same thing about LANing me. I agreed after a couple days, with the only condition being that I picked the map. He said "I don't care. I'll wreck you on any map." I chose a map with a bridge over a river. He created an actual, decent, balanced army. I selected half an army of pigs, most of the other half as archers, and then a couple cavalry units. The battle starts and I hear him scream "PIGS!?!?! YOU'RE f***ED!!" from across the house...and he immediately send his whole army across the bridge. It was met by my horde of pigs, which stopped his whole army on the bridge as my archers slaughtered him. Soon enough he was routed and my cavalry was mopping up, as I could hear him screaming "NOOOOO" a floor below me.

After those two wins there was no way I could play in the competitive game nights. Those two wins were wayyyyy too satisfying to sully with losses or lesser moments. I resumed spectating. And now I'm garbage at video games with crap reaction times and the hand-eye coordination of Ali in his later years, but I've at least got those memories.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The second group I just discussed did Magic briefly, but we quickly grew tired of it because one roommate had numerous incredible decks, which he would use, while he would only let us use generic decks. It wasn't that great unless he wasn't playing.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
The second group I just discussed did Magic briefly, but we quickly grew tired of it because one roommate had numerous incredible decks, which he would use, while he would only let us use generic decks. It wasn't that great unless he wasn't playing.
That guy is a dick haha. "Yea, lets play some 2 on 2 hoops. I'll take Kobe on my team since he's my buddy. You can have my paraplegic grandma, shes really good I swear to god."

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
X-Wing Star Wars miniatures game is releasing a second edition in about a month. The core set is not that pricey and quite playable in itself. The game gets pricey if the addiction strikes and you got to get all the ships available. Great game and the second edition looks even better.

Yeah i mean I’m a geek for Star Wars and the miniatures are really detailed, so even if i can’t harangue my buddies into playing i can man cave them haha.

And to the MtG guys, we have a buddy like that who is constantly upgrading lists, so it’s become this crazy arms race. We do cEDH, so it’s still pricey but you only need 1 copy of anything so it doesn’t feel as bad. I had finally put a modern list together (only been playing for a few years), just to be hit by the banhammer. I’ve written that format off for awhile.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Yeah we switched to EDH pretty quick as well once we restarted. I've bought and upgraded two preconstructs and made one deck from scratch. My friend also prints high quality proxies for everyone that wants them in order to keep people playing. It's just that he was always gifted at deckbuilding and finds it fun and therapeutic. I find it frustrating because I have to try and anticipate every horrible thing his decks will try and do and still come up constantly short (it's so damn satisfying to find something that qualifies for the banhammer). Once I find one nasty new thing that gets through he'll just make one little tweak and be a god again. It's like playing against the Borg, except the Borg don't usually mock you. At least his wife knows well enough to attack him first because there's no room for love in Magic.

One thing that sucks is that the kids are still there and even when the older kid is supposed to watch the three year old but she's all SCREW THAT and trying to play with our dice and attention whoring as little ones do.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Found my Pokémon and Yugioh cards the other day. Oh the nostalgia.

I sold mine for $15 at a garage sale when I was ~11. Though I'm sure I (my parents) spent at least $200 all together, maybe more, I can't really remember. I sort of regret doing that, because a few of those old cards have some decent value still attached to them.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
But where are your pogs
Man, I had some f***ing radical slammers back in the day. Inch thick metal with skulls and scorpions and shit. And not once in my life did I ever actually play the game that went along with the pogs. Just had pogs and slammers for absolutely no other reason than them looking cool in my tiny eyes.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
And to the MtG guys, we have a buddy like that who is constantly upgrading lists, so it’s become this crazy arms race. We do cEDH, so it’s still pricey but you only need 1 copy of anything so it doesn’t feel as bad. I had finally put a modern list together (only been playing for a few years), just to be hit by the banhammer. I’ve written that format off for awhile.

I basically only play Vintage and EDH these days. Mostly, I just want the Reserve List to go away so we can get new Vintage players. I’ve had all my Beta Power/Duals for 20+ years, so I don’t even care about the money.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
You wanna smoke him at some edh?? Fast combo is your best friend lol. Only problem is that you will inevitably find yourself in an arms race.

I like competitive edh, bc there’s less butt-hurting when your stuff gets blown up. It’s kind of like a “yeah, i can’t blame you for that” thing. But i miss casual. It gets sort of boring trying to race to the combo or stax people out until you can combo. I miss the janky stuff :/

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yeah vintage is a crazy format. It’s weird how when you first start you don’t even know why things are good. Then you look at vintage dropping moxes to combo out and win on t1 and you’re like, omg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad