OT: Video Game Thread: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Dark Souls is well liked because it is difficult, but fair, and rewarding (like jump out of your chair with joy-- most games don't have that and are Zzz). A throwback to older games. You just are thrust into the world with no guide and left to sort it all out. No tutorial. It's also like live-action Dungeon and Dragons, with a bit of the reality of how it would be if your player was actually in such a world.

If you're lazy, even a skeleton warrior will impale you. That said-- they are easy.

Here is the 1st Dark Souls 3 boss, to see a fraction of the game, which is also gorgeous visually as you move through the varied lands. He cannot be skipped. His lore regards being a roadblock to weed out champions unable to even attempt to take on the chore of being an ashen one (you.) You character exists for a specific task, related to flame. A certain state of affairs in the world had to exist in order for you to rise. Your character experiences every death (unlike other games) -- and learns from them (part of why dying is important to the game) -- and every time you die the flame brings you back to hunt the great souled champions that remain in the world. If anything, the bosses are terrorized by you. They just killed you, and 20 seconds later, you're back in their area, putting lightning on your sword. By the time game 3 is out, the world is a mess (a good moral question for your character is buried here), time itself isn't always reliable, -- the world, time, and lands, have collided into a messy dumpscape. The game has a lot of indirect story telling, but people have put it together, more or less, on Youtube.

Around 5:10 timestamp makes me laugh. Surprise. I like reaction videos. Best listened to loud. I always liked how "heavy" this boss feels when fighting, although he's actually pretty easy (players voted him 5th easiest).

The Dark Souls series features the best bosses in any game, period. Ludwig being my personal favorite (Bloodborne). In Bloodborne, something like 40% of the players never made it beyond Father G (the 2nd boss, actually 1st boss, there is an "earlier" boss that is optional). He's super aggressive, and tough. When I say aggressive, I mean it. You barely pass through the fog door and he's feet from hitting you with an axe, midswing before you even get your camera focused.

This guy is easy though. Profanity, if you're at work.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: DancingPanther

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you HAD to pick one Dark Souls game to recommend, what would it be?

Definitely not Dark Souls 2 -- it's pretty different. I would say Dark Souls 1, but some would argue Bloodborne. BB is more streamlined in regard to options, but also more fast-paced in the gameplay. I think DS1 eases you in a little more in regard to difficulty. The story of DS1 and DS3 are related if that's important to you.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Rebels57 you are. It gets cool from here. You get the backstory to what happened in the past and what’s going on now. Lmk what you think when you’re done, it’s a pretty cool “movie feeling” finish, where everything just sort of gets revealed rapidly and in your face

That last battle in HZD was rouuuughh.

Reactions: mdm815

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Lol I don't know why you can't wrap your head around me never playing Dark Souls. I'm not even into those games. Dealwitit. Want my gamertag so you can peruse my entire game history? :laugh:
It's (redacted) now spam him!!!

Last edited:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
@Magua @Flyotes If you HAD to pick one Dark Souls game to recommend, what would it be?

Of the Dark Souls games, Dark Souls 3, because it'll feel more modern and is great. Dark Souls 1 will feel old. Dark Souls 2 people are mixed on. Dark Souls 3 is just dope.

Bloodborne is the best from FromSoftware though. Faster, a little.. not sure how to put it... just better. faster.

Bloodborne is more aggro.
Dark Souls 3 is more knighty-- shield and whatnot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I've had a huge interest in going through the Kingdom Hearts series since E3 ended. The trailers for the new one got my attention. Already beat 1, which i did beat as a kid (though i do not remember that final boss fight being so long and annoying). Game's fun, parts of the game have not aged all that well though. Going through KH2 right now, pretty close to the end though i've been told there's a solid amount of postgame content. It's a lot more fun and the combat isn't nearly as dated as 1. Difficulty curve skyrockets up around the second-to-last world, some of the boss fights in this game are pretty challenging even for an adult version of me. I couldn't imagine being able to make it through some of these fights as a kid.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Of the Dark Souls games, Dark Souls 3, because it'll feel more modern and is great. Dark Souls 1 will feel old. Dark Souls 2 people are mixed on. Dark Souls 3 is just dope.

Bloodborne is the best from FromSoftware though. Faster, a little.. not sure how to put it... just better. faster.

Bloodborne is more aggro.
Dark Souls 3 is more knighty-- shield and whatnot.

Dark Souls 1 will feel a little dated to a new player but I would still recommend it. Dark Souls 1 world is perfectly build to teach you how to play the game step by step. DS3 has better mechanics but it feels much more like being thrown into the deep end (no abyss pun intended).

Also the story will be quite hard to understand if you haven't played DS1 first, if you are into that kind of things.

Dark Souls 2 is a strange one. I love it and it's a great game but not a great Souls game. It has great mechanics that other souls games doesn't have but it also has several stupidities. The world is not as great, the bosses lack the imagination of DS1 and the story is really hard to understand but the story is also in my opinion the best of the series when you dig through it enough to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad