OT: Video Game Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
NHL20 was definitely the best game in several years, and NHL21 could be even better. It probably feels the most like actual hockey. Speed and passing is king. The glitchy LT animations are toned down, so there’s more face-up hockey and actual dangling. Defense is hard in general, and the pickups can be wonky, so you need to have 5 skaters playing together.

The chances are infinitesimally small to actually pull it off with no pressure. They may have tuned it slightly, but it’s still basically worthless and never a good play online.
They really needed to put an end to the LT BS. I considered myself pretty good at 20 but when I got to the higher divisions in HUT (and EASHL sometimes) every game you were against the "turn my back to the defender, your only option is to trip me". That and the one timers.

Reactions: Defect

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, if these two features were implemented, I think NHL would be that much better:

1. Make the goalie actually hug the post and play the short-side correctly.
2. To go along with the short-side, they should implement a proximity sensor of some sort for goalies so that they know what players are where and what team they play for. You can seal off a guy from going side to side on a goalie (forcing the player to be shortside only), but the goalie is too stupid and plays it like a breakaway and gets bear shortside when it should never happen.

Ahh f*** it, here's #3:

Fix poke checking as a whole. Why the f*** does putting your stick in front of someone, even if it doesn't tie them up, automatically mean it's a trip? If the stick is poked right at their skate or between their legs and the fall, fine, but the idea of having your stick in front of someone means an immediate trip is f***ing baffling.

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Never came to fruition, but there was an internet push to have him wear #64 in Detroit.

View attachment 372609

Clearly a missed marketing opportunity for that 8 person Venn diagram crossover for NHL fans who would spend money on a Commodore 64 jersey because they knew what a Commodore 64 was.

Guy got hired by some company over the years essentially because he partied with the owner one night & they gave him a job. He didn’t even know how to use excel when he was trying to do work at home one day when he was on the Chicklets Podcast.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I can't stand the bumper car bullshit of where I knock someone over and then I fall over them and then my teammate falls over me and the other team goes on a breakaway because of it. Or I knock someone over with a check and then I trip over them and the guy I knocked down gets up in a second and I get up in give or take thirty seconds.

Also, I noticed last night that they actually have "Practice" mode for EASHL where you can play against the computer. Definitely could have added that YEARS ago.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
When I said I bought it, I meant I legitimately just picked it up. Lol.

I am currently just fooling around on Pro-Am while I sit around and wait for my friends to get the game.

I am pretty much exclusively an EASHL player but play at a Robert Hagg type level. @Magua and @PALE PWNR can attest to that.

I can’t comment on the differences enough at this point although the first month is typically the most fun before all the cheese is figured out outside of the cheese that has been there since ‘94.
Ah you played well when we played together. Defense is definitely a bit harder this season but they made pokes a bit easier. People are conditioned to not poke at all right now from the last two games you can use it more effectively than you could have the last couple of years.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I can't stand the bumper car bullshit of where I knock someone over and then I fall over them and then my teammate falls over me and the other team goes on a breakaway because of it. Or I knock someone over with a check and then I trip over them and the guy I knocked down gets up in a second and I get up in give or take thirty seconds.

Also, I noticed last night that they actually have "Practice" mode for EASHL where you can play against the computer. Definitely could have added that YEARS ago.

It WAS in the game years ago haha. They used to have a 6 man practice you could use back when you could have more than one line running at the same time in the same club. Probably last time was like nhl 10 or 11. Now it's a "new" feature for 21

Reactions: Defect

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It WAS in the game years ago haha. They used to have a 6 man practice you could use back when you could have more than one line running at the same time in the same club. Probably last time was like nhl 10 or 11. Now it's a "new" feature for 21

Was that EASHL though or just sixes?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They really needed to put an end to the LT BS. I considered myself pretty good at 20 but when I got to the higher divisions in HUT (and EASHL sometimes) every game you were against the "turn my back to the defender, your only option is to trip me". That and the one timers.

I used it, I knew how to defend it, but I won’t deny it was bad for the game. You can still semi-LT, mostly to change direction or square up. But not so much off the rush just back skating in. It slows you down too much, and the pivot is slow too. Right stick and dekes are so much more important in this game 1v1.

This is definitely the most Hägg post ever. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

THHHHIIIIIIIIISSSSSS 1000%!

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
You mean not enough Oregon trail from those old 80s apple computers
5043AD62-7BBB-4AE0-B455-C6F3B83F652F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad