OT: Video Game Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Boo. Can’t play from the phone

20201014_191126.jpg

I just did on tablet, works on any adrioid tablet.

And after 1 round, I cracked the top ten coming in at 9

Reactions: Fixxer and Defect

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I’m sure they will tune it to where every pass gets intercepted again but I am getting absolutely abused by cross crease passes in this game. And I’m used to playing defense and defending 2 on 1s.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m sure they will tune it to where every pass gets intercepted again but I am getting absolutely abused by cross crease passes in this game. And I’m used to playing defense and defending 2 on 1s.

Sounds like you need to be heavier in front.

Just diving when they get in tight has become meta off the rush. Personally, I really like the passing right now. A few get through that you eye roll over, but otherwise, it's pretty realistic and encourages quick passing. This game basically requires you to have your body and stick angled in position to ensure it doesn't get through. Just covering the lane or covering the man but not the lane isn't a guaranteed stop. And basically since last game, you can't just sit holding LT defensively. I always try to tie up sticks in front when I know they're looking backdoor, but that's more so for EASHL.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Now that i've actually had some friends pick up the game and get into some EASHL games... I do like it but I also feel like I like it every year at the start before they tweak it back to an utter shitshow.

The skating makes it feel closer to real hockey. If you're caught flatfooted or out of position then it's game over. That wasn't a thing in years past. You could stand still with a guy coming full speed at you and catch right up to him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sounds like you need to be heavier in front.

Just diving when they get in tight has become meta off the rush. Personally, I really like the passing right now. A few get through that you eye roll over, but otherwise, it's pretty realistic and encourages quick passing. This game basically requires you to have your body and stick angled in position to ensure it doesn't get through. Just covering the lane or covering the man but not the lane isn't a guaranteed stop. And basically since last game, you can't just sit holding LT defensively. I always try to tie up sticks in front when I know they're looking backdoor, but that's more so for EASHL.
I've messed around with some settings/strategies that have helped in Versus. Basically I've become the Flyers with a lead against the Islanders - very passive, park the bus defensive style where I just let my opponent have the outside if they want it. Kind of goes against my strengths but I'll survive (top 70 right now NBD).

I do like the passing and last year the blind pickoffs of every other pass made for a stale game. But as someone that plays mostly 3s as a defenseman (so it's a 2 on 1 rush every possession) I feel like I don't even have a stick out there. 80% of the passes are getting through right now. Sometimes it feels like I'd be better off defending in a trail technique and trying to time a poke check rather than squaring up to the rush head on and playing the lane. Someone inevitably slips just in front on behind me and my guy doesn't even react. I have the back skate perk on to try to mirror better but it feels like that got nerfed.

I use a puck moving dman build since I'm softer than Sanheim and much rather have the superior skating/passing build. Even if I equip traits to get my defensive awareness up to ~89, it doesn't seem to make a difference. If I have to use defensive defenseman build to not feel like a pylon out there, I'm probably not going to get much use out of the mode.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I've messed around with some settings/strategies that have helped in Versus. Basically I've become the Flyers with a lead against the Islanders - very passive, park the bus defensive style where I just let my opponent have the outside if they want it. Kind of goes against my strengths but I'll survive (top 70 right now NBD).

I do like the passing and last year the blind pickoffs of every other pass made for a stale game. But as someone that plays mostly 3s as a defenseman (so it's a 2 on 1 rush every possession) I feel like I don't even have a stick out there. 80% of the passes are getting through right now. Sometimes it feels like I'd be better off defending in a trail technique and trying to time a poke check rather than squaring up to the rush head on and playing the lane. Someone inevitably slips just in front on behind me and my guy doesn't even react. I have the back skate perk on to try to mirror better but it feels like that got nerfed.

I use a puck moving dman build since I'm softer than Sanheim and much rather have the superior skating/passing build. Even if I equip traits to get my defensive awareness up to ~89, it doesn't seem to make a difference. If I have to use defensive defenseman build to not feel like a pylon out there, I'm probably not going to get much use out of the mode.

My main position is defense at high level 6s. I use a puck moving defenseman 6'1 170/180lbs. Right now, I'm using Interceptor (purple) and Defensive Awareness (blue) to jack my defensive stats way up. Maybe it's placebo, I don't know. I don't even use the back skating red perk; I have defensive stick. I don't like to back skate when 5'7 twerps are straight lining. I didn't use it last year either, but I don't think it got nerfed so much as the skaters are just faster.

This is pretty meta, and I don't even see a lot of high level guys use this technique. But many times I don't face the puck carrier off the rush, or rather I turn my back when they get near. If you're talking about the same thing with "trail technique," that's exactly what I've done since last game. Maybe I'll hold LT if I'm cheating a lane or in certain situations where I need to face up poke, but when the puck carrier comes near, I skate facing my own net and let them run into me or use my skill stick (hold poke) and stick lift to just steal it. I find it's impossible to read my skater and my agility is better. I do it defending off puck too. Sitting in LT for too long is too clumsy. I'm also a p***y, and I don't hit much except zone exit pinches.

Trail skating is how I defend most 2 on 1s. If they're trying to cross crease, my stick is in that lane too, so they don't pass behind my back. I'm usually quite aggressive just poking the puck carrier before he can decide, if they're not spaced well. Lying down really does work too.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The first month of each release is perfect. Then they add a tuner and is completely ruins the damn game.
I think it was two years ago I bought it digitally and had to cite a digital consumer act to get my money back for it.
Fun fact, you can get your money back on any digital services or good years after buying it if you are no longer happy with the product.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
My main position is defense at high level 6s. I use a puck moving defenseman 6'1 170/180lbs. Right now, I'm using Interceptor (purple) and Defensive Awareness (blue) to jack my defensive stats way up. Maybe it's placebo, I don't know. I don't even use the back skating red perk; I have defensive stick. I don't like to back skate when 5'7 twerps are straight lining. I didn't use it last year either, but I don't think it got nerfed so much as the skaters are just faster.

This is pretty meta, and I don't even see a lot of high level guys use this technique. But many times I don't face the puck carrier off the rush, or rather I turn my back when they get near. If you're talking about the same thing with "trail technique," that's exactly what I've done since last game. Maybe I'll hold LT if I'm cheating a lane or in certain situations where I need to face up poke, but when the puck carrier comes near, I skate facing my own net and let them run into me or use my skill stick (hold poke) and stick lift to just steal it. I find it's impossible to read my skater and my agility is better. I do it defending off puck too. Sitting in LT for too long is too clumsy. I'm also a p***y, and I don't hit much except zone exit pinches.

Trail skating is how I defend most 2 on 1s. If they're trying to cross crease, my stick is in that lane too, so they don't pass behind my back. I'm usually quite aggressive just poking the puck carrier before he can decide, if they're not spaced well. Lying down really does work too.

Agree with all of the above. This year, I find myself much more aggressive at the blue line on zone entries off the rush, since once they get in the zone, it's much harder to stop the cross crease. It can make you look silly when it goes wrong...but unti/unless pass interceptions get tuned, I don't really see an alternative.

One thing I've been playing with is the tie up button infront of the net. I use a 6'2" 195lbs puck moving defenseman, and I've had some success using that button when the opposing team already has possession in our zone, but the button is just way too clunky - even clunkier than pinning people against the boards.

With the increase physicality/wonky physics, my team has actually had a lot more success dumping the puck in than last year. If you can coordinate a hard dump around the boards or a soft dump in the opposite corner, it's a lot easier to forecheck this year than last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magua

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
One day I just hope to see actual hockey rather than run and gun up and down the ice. The rare times I come across someone cycling, it’s a real treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad