Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
2656d7b3ee963281e9881b59a8bce8b9.png

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm expecting $400-500.

$800 would keep lots of people away. Especially kids asking their parents for a console. At this point Sony and Microsoft are probably making most of their money off of online fees anyways, so priority is getting people on their consoles, not doing things to keep them away.

$499 is the lowest possible price for the version including the Blu-ray player. Cost is rumored to be ~450 per unit, which makes sense since the hardware is not complete garbage for the first time in generations.

I don't think you're going to get to 800, but 599 or 699 with the Blu-ray would be your safest bets. Especially with them announcing a digital only version. That's an admission of price hikes.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
$499 is the lowest possible price for the version including the Blu-ray player. Cost is rumored to be ~450 per unit, which makes sense since the hardware is not complete garbage for the first time in generations.

I don't think you're going to get to 800, but 599 or 699 would be your safest bets. Especially with them announcing a digital only version. That's an admission of price hikes.

$599, sure.
I think $699 would really be pushing what people are willing to spend. Especially parents for their kids.

I think they'd be safer selling the consoles at a loss just to get them into peoples homes and then make up for it with online memberships. Kinda like what printer companies do with ink.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
$599, sure.
I think $699 would really be pushing what people are willing to spend. Especially parents for their kids.

I think they'd be safer selling the consoles at a loss just to get them into peoples homes and then make up for it with online memberships. Kinda like what printer companies do with ink.

You definitely could be right about sales. I'm just saying I don't think there's much room to go down from 599. They're not going to sell them at a loss. They can sell them at low margins.

This just went up: PlayStation 5

But it doesn't make sense to me that the physical and digital versions are the same price, so it could just be a placeholder.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You definitely could be right about sales. I'm just saying I don't think there's much room to go down from 599. They're not going to sell them at a loss. They can sell them at low margins.

This just went up: PlayStation 5

But it doesn't make sense to me that the physical and digital versions are the same price, so it could just be a placeholder.
Oh geeez... and $80 controllers?? Wow.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that was a placeholder. But you might be right. Guess we'll see.

Hopefully Xbox snipes in there with a cheaper and better console. ;)

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Children with ADHD can now be prescribed a video game, FDA says - CNN

The first video game-based treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The video game, called EndeavorRx and approved on Monday, will be prescription only and aimed at children between the ages of eight and 12 with certain types of ADHD.

It will be used alongside other treatments, such as clinician-directed therapy, medication and educational programs.

Never thought i'd see the day you need a prescription for a video game.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Can someone explain the popularity of what I’m thinking is a digital safari on rails.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Can someone explain the popularity of what I’m thinking is a digital safari on rails.

Tbh I never "got" Pokemon snap even as a Pokemon obsessed 10 year old... yeh... I played it for a few days... but quickly just went back to the actual Pokemon games and Pokemon Arena.

It was weirdly hypnotic though I remember. Like really calming haha. (I say as a hyperactive kid/now adult!)

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Tbh I never "got" Pokemon snap even as a Pokemon obsessed 10 year old... yeh... I played it for a few days... but quickly just went back to the actual Pokemon games and Pokemon Arena.

It was weirdly hypnotic though I remember. Like really calming haha. (I say as a hyperactive kid/now adult!)
It's called Pokemon Stadium good sir.

Unless you weird Europeans had it under a different title.

Reactions: Defect

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It's called Pokemon Stadium good sir.

Unless you weird Europeans had it under a different title.

Haha. Yes it is. I was watching a hilarious video with my brother about Pokemon Battle Arena (the fake rip off) the other day and guess it leaked into my brain.

The Pokemon games and cards made me so, so much cash as a ten year old.

I was importing and selling cards, getting an imported cheat cartridge and selling Mew's and Mewtwo's for £1 each to kids in my school. (they would trade me like a caterpee for one... I had Blue which was "my" game that I never cheated on and played for years to point completed and had ~25 level 100s, and a Red that I just used for trades and my Mew farm from the cheat cartridge. Just so no worries about corrupting it.)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Haha. Yes it is. I was watching a hilarious video with my brother about Pokemon Battle Arena (the fake rip off) the other day and guess it leaked into my brain.

The Pokemon games and cards made me so, so much cash as a ten year old.

I was importing and selling cards, getting an imported cheat cartridge and selling Mew's and Mewtwo's for £1 each to kids in my school. (they would trade me like a caterpee for one... I had Blue which was "my" game that I never cheated on and played for years to point completed and had ~25 level 100s, and a Red that I just used for trades and my Mew farm from the cheat cartridge. Just so no worries about corrupting it.)

@CIA... this guy right here.

But Action Replay was the shit once you beat the game for real and wanted to just mess around on a new run through.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@CIA... this guy right here.

But Action Replay was the shit once you beat the game for real and wanted to just mess around on a new run through.

Yeh, I was so precious with my Blue though that I had from ~1998-2004 that never used the cheat cartridge on it... or the Pokemon on there. It was my pride and joy. Like after 2000 I dont think I ever lost a battle to anyone and used to go to the competitions in Manchester, (though thinking about it should have done more given prizes, but did not think like that.) as I had so many level 100s that would just romp.

Then I came downstairs one day to see my ~8 year old brother playing on a Blue cartridge... and slow shock set in. He had wiped the whole thing and then saved over it. It could have ruined our relationship tbh...

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Yeh, I was so precious with my Blue though that I had from ~1998-2004 that never used the cheat cartridge on it... or the Pokemon on there. It was my pride and joy. Like after 2000 I dont think I ever lost a battle to anyone and used to go to the competitions in Manchester, (though thinking about it should have done more given prizes, but did not think like that.) as I had so many level 100s that would just romp.

Then I came downstairs one day to see my ~8 year old brother playing on a Blue cartridge... and slow shock set in. He had wiped the whole thing and then saved over it. It could have ruined our relationship tbh...
Think of it this way, in 2002, or whenever, you could have found the internal battery dead in it and have lost everything anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad