Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm getting more angry by the game watching him play.

I know people worry about getting burned by Foligno or Mitts short stints, but the difference is so clear it blinds. Professional player in his prime vs kids. Skill plays that are winners any time of the year, vs bounces off body parts and secondary assists.

Prediction for next year, Olofsson leads the team in goals, regardless of Skinner signing or not.

Reactions: 1972

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He seems to me to really try getting those guys good looks when he's on the ice with them. Some combination of having new toys to play with and trying to get them confident at the NHL level.

Definitely looking to involve the new guy. Good on Jack.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Maybe because he knows he would be the perfect complimentary winger to himself.

He should if he has watched a few shift by shift packages on the guy. Which their video team should have.

As much as Skinner does well to eat off the table Eichel sets, I suspect Olofsson skill set wise will be a much more efficient with Jack. He expands their dangerous range a ton. Skinner is a sniperbin tight, but generally he isn't looking for that goal VO scored.

I seriously think he could break 30 next year if they attach him to Eichel. They could work well with Skinner, but they could really use Girgs just to create havoc and space and defense.

Go

Girgs Eichel Olofsson
Skinner Mitts Reinhart
Sheary Erod Nylander
Xxx Larson Okposo

Still a playmaker short of being dangerous, unless Nylander or Mitts really steps up, but better than this year.

Hughes or Kakko would really help.

Reactions: Orange Fanta

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
He should if he has watched a few shift by shift packages on the guy. Which their video team should have.

As much as Skinner does well to eat off the table Eichel sets, I suspect Olofsson skill set wise will be a much more efficient with Jack. He expands their dangerous range a ton. Skinner is a sniperbin tight, but generally he isn't looking for that goal VO scored.

I seriously think he could break 30 next year if they attach him to Eichel. They could work well with Skinner, but they could really use Girgs just to create havoc and space and defense.

Go

Girgs Eichel Olofsson
Skinner Mitts Reinhart
Sheary Erod Nylander
Xxx Larson Okposo

Still a playmaker short of being dangerous, unless Nylander or Mitts really steps up, but better than this year.

Kiss Skinner goodbye friend.

Reactions: Kr632

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Kiss Skinner goodbye friend.

I just don't see how Botts can justify that happening.

Both from a personal side of not getting a deal done takes the shine off his best move.

But also from a team building argument to ownership. Like I don't know how you sell ownership on the idea that you are building a good team when you keep losing star nhl players for rookie replacements on literally the worst team in the league under his regime.

I think all that changes is Skinner gets more.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I just don't see how Botts can justify that happening.

Both from a personal side of not getting a deal done takes the shine off his best move.

But also from a team building argument to ownership. Like I don't know how you sell ownership on the idea that you are building a good team when you keep losing star nhl players for rookie replacements on literally the worst team in the league under his regime.

I think all that changes is Skinner gets more.
He can't justify it, but he is a terrible GM. He lost all his leverage in the situation. So either expect him to be gone or expect him to sign Skinner to a bad deal for the team.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
He can't justify it, but he is a terrible GM. He lost all his leverage in the situation. So either expect him to be gone or expect him to sign Skinner to a bad deal for the team. You gave up the 36th or 37th overall pick for a year of Skinner. That is the net effect of that trade. Botterill sucks.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
He can't justify it, but he is a terrible GM. He lost all his leverage in the situation. So either expect him to be gone or expect him to sign Skinner to a bad deal for the team.
I was just thinking about how if Jack and Olofsson show chemistry...It will be noted in Botterill’s presser that this was the reason the team decided to move on from Skinner...if this turns out to be the case.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016

Go

Girgs Eichel Olofsson
Skinner Mitts Reinhart
Sheary Erod Nylander
Xxx Larson Okposo

I agree except if skinner is here he edges him out in goals but VO is a player who i can't get a read on potential wise because he seems to have an insane shot and his other skills are pretty great too. Is a 40-30 ceiling and with a floor of 20-20 reasonable for VO?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I agree except if skinner is here he edges him out in goals but VO is a player who i can't get a read on potential wise because he seems to have an insane shot and his other skills are pretty great too. Is a 40-30 ceiling and with a floor of 20-20 reasonable for VO?

Imo, production is safest projected by role and skill set.

I see a guy who for two years has consistently shown an ability beat professional goalies from distance. He seems to have good vision for when and where to shoot and his release is very impressive even at the nhl.

Given their current options he makes the most sense to play with Jack. Reinhart needs to be away from Jack, their skill sets overlap in a wasteful way.

If Olofsson gets to play 60 games with Jack, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't get 20 goals. 20, 20, 40 feels reasonable.

In today's nhl 40-50 goals are just not predictions worth making unless you are talking about a proven superstar. You need so many minutes and opportunities to even sniff it.

Skinner had an insane start and he won't even hit 40 this year. Playing with an Eichel level center a year.

But who knows, kid has a special shot.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He is much faster then i expected. He doesn't look out of place at all, physically and mentally.

Thx Botts, for keeping Tage up and Olofsson down, you did the complete opposite of what should've been done.

Edit: I would've started him in Rochester, but they should have definitely tried him in the big league much much earlier.

Tage being sent down after the season was lost, even later then that, and him coming up this late and having to play with that tire fire, is a disgrace and a slap in the face of VO and anyone whose hockey mind is still functioning.

We have to at least reasonably believe that Oloffson can come up as an effective NHLer because of his time in Rochester. I hope we don't actually believe he would come in as prepared in November as he is right now.

Reactions: Sabreality

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Wait, I was told he is not ready and will get caved in in the NHL.
How can that not be true?
Shocking that a seasoned Pro can adapt to a different league so quickly.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Go

Girgs Eichel Olofsson
Skinner Mitts Reinhart
Sheary Erod Nylander
Xxx Larson Okposo

I really, really like the line combo. Obviously, it's early to assume Olofsson would be able to jump right on the first line but...if he could? I like that fit. I also think Girgs has spent his time in Hell to at least get a longer tryout on that line. That second line has me salivating as I am totally a believer in Mitts. The man is Connolly 2.0 imo and he paid his dues and will be back next year stronger and ready to at least be a 40-50 point center.

Nylander on the third line is my only issue as it is constructed in this projected lineup. I don't like ERod on a skill line if we are a team competing for more than the lottery. If for some miracle, we got Hughes or another blue chip forward who is ready to play from Day One, I would stick him there because Nylander and Sheary both have the talent if put with a good center. If we wind up with a developmental guy, though, I wonder if Girgs doesn't get pushed down and we find a Top-Six place for Nylander.

My fear is that Nylander is gonna replace Skinner if we lose him in FA. My hope is that we get that draft prospect who can do a third-line role and keep that lineup intact while adding a bruiser on the fourth line. My ideal is that Okposo retires entirely, but that's just not happening.

Regardless, I f***ing hate this organization and this team sometimes, but it does seem like there are pieces in place to finally succeed and if we don't, it's out of absolute ineptitude at that point.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Imo, production is safest projected by role and skill set.

I see a guy who for two years has consistently shown an ability beat professional goalies from distance. He seems to have good vision for when and where to shoot and his release is very impressive even at the nhl.

Given their current options he makes the most sense to play with Jack. Reinhart needs to be away from Jack, their skill sets overlap in a wasteful way.

If Olofsson gets to play 60 games with Jack, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't get 20 goals. 20, 20, 40 feels reasonable.

In today's nhl 40-50 goals are just not predictions worth making unless you are talking about a proven superstar. You need so many minutes and opportunities to even sniff it.

Skinner had an insane start and he won't even hit 40 this year. Playing with an Eichel level center a year.

But who knows, kid has a special shot.

Agree with you here. I think I get a bit shy when it comes to expecting things out of guys because our player development system at this time. It's been through so many changes and damaged a lot of otherwise good prospects.

Olofosson just seems like the real deal. I probably said the same thing about Novotny years ago and Zagrapan but those guys just didn't produce like he can against some AHL goalies who have been better than our own. I'm confident that if he's a 1-trick pony, he's a 20-goal guy at the least and Eichel needs that, not Reinhart, on his line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad