Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Yes, I agree, but the Sabres should have had the same patience with Alex Nylander... Will be interesting following him in Chicago. :sarcasm:

Things are looking great right now (obviously) but I feel letting a young (huge) talent like Alex go was hmmm a very strange move... a "wtf" move... ;-) Not as strange as Islanders letting Lehner walk away after a Vezina worthy season but almost.

You have to give something to get something and in this case they got very good return with Joki.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
The good thing for Olofsson is that he's far from the only weapon on PP1. There's not a lot of worry that teams are going to focus on him/shut him down with Eichel on the other side and guys like Dahlin, Skinner and Reinhart manning the point and lurking around. He's going to score a lot of goals and teams won't be able to do much about it.

Now he has to contribute some 5v5 scoring because the PP will go through dry spells. His low 5v5 playing time last night in the 3rd shows Ralph is aware of this.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I would hope our GM is proactive and gets him signed to a longer term deal. You might be able to get him for a decent steal.

You can hope he signs early, but I think he bet on him selves, 1 line 1 pp! Could 5 years at 4m be possible after a 60 p season?, i think so because only 1 season to show for and in great environment! If he goes arbitration it would/could end up 1m more!

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Immediately, but the triangle is strong. Also, don't let Jack shoot or make a cross ice pass. And oh yeah, don't let Dahlin dangle you...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
When do opposing teams start giving him some form of the Ovi treatment on the PP.

Can't really shadow him that hard when you've also got Eichel and Skinner's shots to worry about. That's why our PP is so lethal IMO--too many shooting threats to contain, and with a great QB at the top of the umbrella in Dahlin.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
You can hope he signs early, but I think he bet on him selves, 1 line 1 pp! Could 5 years at 4m be possible after a 60 p season?, i think so because only 1 season to show for and in great environment! If he goes arbitration it would/could end up 1m more!
Right...that's the kind of deal I'm hoping they sign him to. We need to find a couple of value contracts to mix in with our higher paid guys. We'll have the cap space after this year to take a calculated risk like this. If he gets 35-40 Goals this year, there's no way we get him for that cheap however. Either way, he's going to be a hugely important piece going forward, as he automatically makes our PP significantly more dangerous. Botterill will need to push for the longer term deal here and get this guy locked in through his prime.

Reactions: McClelland

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can't really shadow him that hard when you've also got Eichel and Skinner's shots to worry about. That's why our PP is so lethal IMO--too many shooting threats to contain, and with a great QB at the top of the umbrella in Dahlin.

They have also found ways to make that sweet, sweet cross-seam pass below the high PKer and the low guys in the diamond. They've worked it in both directions and it opens up someone who can rip the puck on their forehand from either side. Right now VO is benefitting from having Jack find him more often, but we've seen it run both ways.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
They have also found ways to make that sweet, sweet cross-seam pass below the high PKer and the low guys in the diamond. They've worked it in both directions and it opens up someone who can rip the puck on their forehand from either side. Right now VO is benefitting from having Jack find him more often, but we've seen it run both ways.
That's exactly how the GWG happened, with Miller feeding Mojo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's exactly how the GWG happened, with Miller feeding Mojo.

Yep, both of MJ's PPG's are on that play going from left to right. Eichel IIRC has one coming back across and they've had a number of really good looks from that pass as well. When they shut down one, it will open up the other. And when they play out to both, the high man and the bump are going to have a real interesting time with some open lanes to the net.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Yup, that's exactly it. As soon as the PKers get drawn off to one side, the guy opposite him is open, and both VO and Eichel are good at moving to create seams (VO generally moving to make one for Eichelt to pass through, as you mentioned, but still moving to make it happen). And if that seam doesn't open up, you just go back to Dahlin at the point and work it from there. And if you never find that one-timer? Well, good thing you have Reinhart giving the goalie a hard time on shots from anywhere. It's a killer unit.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yup, that's exactly it. As soon as the PKers get drawn off to one side, the guy opposite him is open, and both VO and Eichel are good at moving to create seams (VO generally moving to make one for Eichelt to pass through, as you mentioned, but still moving to make it happen). And if that seam doesn't open up, you just go back to Dahlin at the point and work it from there. And if you never find that one-timer? Well, good thing you have Reinhart giving the goalie a hard time on shots from anywhere. It's a killer unit.

And Skinner lurking like a tiny rebound shark, sliding around the base of the setup. I'm waiting for the units to draw further up the slot at which point that bang-bang low 2-on-1 play will be a "thing" again between Reinhart and Skinner low against the remaining defenseman. And the backhand to forehand draw play that ROR was so good at that Reinhart has scored a few on as well.

As someone mentioned in another thread, outskate people and they will draw calls. VO on the first unit continuing to work is awesome. I'd love him to set the record for PPG to start a career... and then settle into ripping up some 5-on-5 goals. He's had a number of really nice opportunities -- that feed in the low slot from Reinhart would've been a pretty, pretty play last night. I know people were bagging on Sam for not shooting, but he had VO on his forehand in a super dangerous spot. I think he will start popping some at even strength and that will mitigate the d-zone learning moments.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
What do y'all think of VO in 5on5?

We know how great of a shot he has and how he's been on the PP. But wonder if he's a liability on the 1st line. Doesn't seem like he can keep up with Sam and Jack

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

We know how great of a shot he has and how he's been on the PP. But wonder if he's a liability on the 1st line. Doesn't seem like he can keep up with Sam and Jack

I’d keep him there and give him more time to adjust to the rigors of top line duty. He is a rookie, after all, and I’m sure he’s learning a lot game to game.

If he has 2 ES points in the next 10 games, then sure. Consider a change.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He struggling at times 5v5 but I don’t see any other left wing option that would make sense. Don’t want Skinner away from Mojo or Girgs away from LOG. You could move Vesey in is spot but I’d rather not.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think his 5v5 issues are mostly along the boards in the o-zone when there's not much space. He is just a little too slow to move the puck at times and gets stuck once a guy is on him.

I still like the idea of going back to 53-9-x.
And then maybe 68-90-23

If no one can produce in that top rw spot trade them and give pommer a call :sarcasm:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think his 5v5 issues are mostly along the boards in the o-zone when there's not much space. He is just a little too slow to move the puck at times and gets stuck once a guy is on him.

I still like the idea of going back to 53-9-x.
And then maybe 68-90-23

If no one can produce in that top rw spot trade them and give pommer a call :sarcasm:

Those are the combos that I'd like to see as well, but I'm not in a huge rush to see changes until we drop a couple games. So far we're winning while they're getting acclimated to the new systems and Ralph's coaching style. I've also wondered if VO might be better off in a sheltered role next to Mitts at 5 on 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->