Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Can definitely see him challenging for the team lead in goals, and being in the running for Calder...The permanently dangerous sniper.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This is cool, I've never actually been following Victor much (not sure why). I'm so impressed, he is looking really, really good, will be very interesting following. Will be nice for the Swedish national team too, we need more stars, the new generation is coming. Hopefully the Sabres don't dump him too like they did with Nylander. He is looking like a complete/allround player to me (!?), what's his weaknesses? His size and physical play is perhaps not his strongest part?

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This is cool, I've never actually been following Victor much (not sure why). I'm so a impressed, he is looking really, really good, will be very interesting following. Will be nice for the Swedish national team too, we need more stars, the new generation is coming. Hopefully the Sabres don't dump him too like they did with Nylander. He is looking like a complete/allround player to me (!?), what's his weaknesses? His size and physical play is perhaps not his strongest part?
His size and physical play are fine so far, the only glaring weakness I see so far is his decision making when he has the puck and isn't setting up a scoring play or shooting it on net. He has some trouble with puck protection when pressed or rushed, tendency to turn it over or ice it.

But that shot...that shot makes up for a whole lot. Kid is going to score a whole lot of goals for us in his career.

Reactions: 21

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
His size and physical play are fine so far, the only glaring weakness I see so far is his decision making when he has the puck and isn't setting up a scoring play or shooting it on net. He has some trouble with puck protection when pressed or rushed, tendency to turn it over or ice it.

But that shot...that shot makes up for a whole lot. Kid is going to score a whole lot of goals for us in his career.

Yeah, and it really seemed like last night Columbus' penalty killers were far more aggressive with him than other Sabres when he had the puck.

Reactions: kundahlini

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
If Olofsson ends up with 35+25= 60 p, how much will he get when Rfa after this season?, wonder who his peers would be, a bit older breakout season but with arbitrations right(if I understand it right) after this season, he will get payed if have a good season!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I don't think there is such a thing as a meaningful calder favorite 4 games in

Olofsson himself nearly has 1/3rd of all goals scored by rookies so far. 4 of 14. Sure guys like Makar and Glass COULD go on a tear but do you honestly think Olofsson is slowing down? I don't. And the favorites in pre season Hughes and Kakko haven't looked that great so far. At minimum Olofsson is a Calder finalist. He is going to score 25 goals at the very least. He is 20% on the way to a 20 goal season. We have 78 games to go. Even with inevitable cold streaks VO is going to be a 25-35 goal scorer..His one timer is deadly.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Also the perfect example on how to "Properly" develop a prospect and late bloomer.

Where’s the Swedish guy that was LIVID last year that he was in the AHL developing his game?

Everyone said just wait, when he’s called up he’ll be ready and won’t go back down. Look how that turned out.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Also the perfect example on how to "Properly" develop a prospect and late bloomer.

Yes, I agree, but the Sabres should have had the same patience with Alex Nylander... Will be interesting following him in Chicago. :sarcasm:

Things are looking great right now (obviously) but I feel letting a young (huge) talent like Alex go was hmmm a very strange move... a "wtf" move... ;-) Not as strange as Islanders letting Lehner walk away after a Vezina worthy season but almost.

Finally, "Goalofsson", I love it, fun nickname! :-D Victor is from the city Örnsköldsvik, just like Peter Forsberg and Mats Näslund. The club Modo is definately one of the best clubs in Sweden for raising talents, if not the best. Buffalo Sabres organization has definately continued developing Victor is the best possible way though, impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Like Adam had 6 points thru his first 4 games of his rookie year coming off of winning AHL Rookie of the Year.
Luke Adam was lucky... I think it was a case of being in the right place at the right time... Youcan clearly see VO's skillset out there... Especially on the PP.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
If Olofsson ends up with 35+25= 60 p, how much will he get when Rfa after this season?, wonder who his peers would be, a bit older breakout season but with arbitrations right(if I understand it right) after this season, he will get payed if have a good season!
I would hope our GM is proactive and gets him signed to a longer term deal. You might be able to get him for a decent steal.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
His goal totals will depend on the PP chances.
Also teams will adjust to him being set up on the PP.
His 5on5 play needs some work and he gets outmuscled a lot on the boards which led to him being benched (and a GA) in yesterdays win.
That line outside Eichels individual efforts was not good 5on5.
Let's see how they respond next game.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The good thing for Olofsson is that he's far from the only weapon on PP1. There's not a lot of worry that teams are going to focus on him/shut him down with Eichel on the other side and guys like Dahlin, Skinner and Reinhart manning the point and lurking around. He's going to score a lot of goals and teams won't be able to do much about it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->