Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Would like to see him in more defensive roles to show his game rounding out a bit or at least put up some ES points to evolve into a more dynamic player.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Would like to see him in more defensive roles to show his game rounding out a bit or at least put up some ES points to evolve into a more dynamic player.

He has to earn the ice time there. As a rookie they're finding a way to get advantage from his strengths while not putting him out there where he's overwhelmed or can hurt them. He'll get his chance to play up the line-up if he deserves it. It'll be a long time before there's any mutual interest in bringing him overseas. It'll be interesting to see how productive he can remain on the PP over a larger sample size -- that's the more immediate question for me.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Thanks, Rob. The vodka had me a bit cloudy last night. Consistency is definitely the first step for these youngsters. It is great to see him getting those PP minutes and being successful against men. An entire season's worth would be even more impressive.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks, Rob. The vodka had me a bit cloudy last night. Consistency is definitely the first step for these youngsters. It is great to see him getting those PP minutes and being successful against men. An entire season's worth would be even more impressive.

Just to expand on what I was saying, the SHL and other Euro leagues are not shy about bringing their most talented (NHL draft caliber) youngsters up and giving them very few minutes, often using them just like this on the PP. I think the main reasons for it are because their juniors and lower levels are weaker than the CHL and AHL respectively and the SHL dresses two more players than North American teams. It can be tough for those guys to earn minutes over vets as sometimes they're just not ready to. Last year when Nylander got called up to MODO the first time he also toiled on the fourth unit at even strength. If Olofsson keeps playing well he should get his chance at more minutes some point when injuries hit as the season progresses, but for now I'd be happy if he can keep doing what he's doing, because that will be huge for his confidence and chances of earning that bigger ES role for the next step in his development.

I do agree with a big part of what you said at first, which is that what he's doing right now doesn't say much about a possible NHL future, but it is a good start to his SHL career if he keeps it up. He's a long-term project, so I'm happy with this first step.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
Olofsson with the GWG in the shootout for Modo tonight. He's now the leading scorer in the SHL, of all the U20(junior) players. 6G+4A in 17 games.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
MODO opened their exhibition season on August 18th, with Olofsson at RW2 -- Thomas-Ritchie-Olofsson. He had three shots on goal, registered a power play assist, and scored a shootout goal. In the rematch on the 21st, Ritchie deflected an Olofsson shot for the opening goal.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Olofsson kept the same linemates for MODO's third preseason game on the 28th. MODO threw 31 SOG, but were shutout by Brynas' Felix Sandstrom in a 4-0 loss. They have three more preseason games to play in September.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker ‏@SabresProspects - Wednesday, September 9.

Nada for Olofsson (1st line) and Possler (3rd line) as MODO continues preseason with a 7-3 loss to SAIK. Grundström ('16) 1+1 for MODO.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Olofsson scored Modo's lone goal in their 4-1 loss to Orebro; minuses on the second and fourth GA.

I'm really high on Olofsson and his offensive skills. However I am concerned that he might be another Omark; lack of defensive skills and an offensive game that will not translate past the AHL. Time will tell.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker ‏@SabresProspects - Thursday, September 17 -

Will we get our first #Goalofsson of 2015- 2016? Victor Olofsson get his season going today as MODO takes on Orebro.

Lineups posted for MODO's opening night tilt vs. Örebro HK. V. Olofsson on top line.

#GOALOFSSON. Victor Olofsson strikes for his first of the year. MODO trails Örebro HK 2-1 in the 1st. #Sabres.

MODO's Victor Olofsson fills a lane and finishes one off for his first goal of 2015-2016 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4H3kGQ0HGY

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Victor Olofsson (+1, 2 SOG) gets an assist to extend his season-opening point streak to five games as MODO blanks HV 71 5-0. Possler has one SOG.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Victor Olofsson gets a goal + assist today as MODO falls to FBK 4-3 in OT. Olofsson is MODO's leading point-getter thru six games with 2+5.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@SabresProspects -

Victor Olofsson gets a goal + assist today as MODO falls to FBK 4-3 in OT. Olofsson is MODO's leading point-getter thru six games with 2+5.

Not sure if he'll ever make it here but he's undeniably electric with the puck. He's already proven to be well worth where he was selected no matter what happens.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Olofsson's six-game point streak snapped as MODO gets smoked by Frolunda 7-0. VO leads MODO with 7 points (2+5) in 7 games played. Possler 1 SOG.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
MODO isn't looking to hot this year either but the Kid has been putting up some nice point totals. He really is electric with the puck and I hope he makes the move to Rochester next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad