Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think it's probably because he can only skate and doesn't do anything else. He was very good last game though.

Choose your champion
Can only skate, leading to plenty of good things

or

Can only be big, leading to truculence

Nope, it's because his shot couldn't dent a Dixie cup...if he had even a slightly below NHL-average shot, he'd be a staple in the lineup...

Doesn't matter, none of the Ds on the left side save Romanov can shoot. If you can shoot it hard but it goes over the net by twelve foot everytime, it doesn't do anything. If on top of shooting like that, you handle the puck like a grenade, you cannot skate, make dumb decisions with and without the puck, take too many penalties, are slow, you cannot pass well you have Kulak, Chiarot and Edmundson.

These guys aren't even average, theyre bad.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not a fan of Mete beyond 3rd pairing or 7th D role. If it sticks to that, I have no problem with him being in the lineup but, the pairing partner needs to be complementary. I didn't think he fit well with Romanov the first time around but, in the last game they played they were fine together...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't think he fit well with Romanov the first time around but, in the last game they played they were fine together...

that's on the coaches though, Mete has not looked good at RD, so why put him there. They finally put him back at LD and he has his best game of the season. Some like Romanov, Harris, Norlinder, they can play either side and not miss a beat, others just can't play their off-side at all. Keep Mete at LD and see how it goes.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If it comes to who sits, Clod should sit Chairot a game or two...at least Mr. Ed's game compliments Petry's and Mete, while his shot couldn't blow a feather across the blueline, can handle the puck like it wasn't just a live grenade...maybe a gam or two chugging beverages and hot dogs will make Braindead Ben ponder his role a bit...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If it comes to who sits, Clod should sit Chairot a game or two...at least Mr. Ed's game compliments Petry's and Mete, while his shot couldn't blow a feather across the blueline, can handle the puck like it wasn't just a live grenade...maybe a gam or two chugging beverages and hot dogs will make Braindead Ben ponder his role a bit...

That might not be bad. Chiarot seems to think he is a higher profile D than he really is right now. A back to earth moment may see him contribute better in the future than the recent past.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Like goals and assists...oh wait

Ohhh waaait:sarcasm:

ES G60 A160 A260 P60 last year:

Chiarot 0.32G 0.27A1 0.23A2 0.82P
Mete 0.32G 0.40A1 0.08A2 0.79P
Kulak 0.00G 0.19A1 0.13A2 0.32P

Funny, Mete gets as many goals per 60 but more primary assists than Chiarot..

Primary points per 60:
Mete 0.72
Chiarot 0.59

Yet Chiarot played with much better offensive players being paired with the team's most dominant line on most nights...

Chiarot can't score or produce offense, I guess.

Your hate for Mete is all bias, nothing else

Screenshot-20210217-084032-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210217-084101-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Also, take note, Mete had one of the highest shot% on the defensive squad last season, so while his shot might not be deadly and powerful, it's more accurate than the Habs average and can come just as handy, if not more, than a powerful shot, as it can be used to set-up rebound plays.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nah he’s a one trick pony - elite skater but came so much else, no shot, is very weak in DZone to board/corner play due to lack of size. Basically Quinn Hughes minus the elite offensive ability

There are abs and flows in a players development and career. And there are ebs and flows in the way the game is played.

Look at players like Galchenyuk and Lucic that lost all their offense when the league started calling hooking to the hands and opened up.

Let's be patient and see where Mete can take his game to and he develops. And, we'll simultaneously see in what direction the NHL goes. Maybe there will be a match, maybe there won't be. If he's being more effective than Kulak, there's certainly no harm in having him on a bottom pair.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think it's probably because he can only skate and doesn't do anything else. He was very good last game though.
Skating ability with our current defence corps is very important. Teams now know how to play us: shoot the puck in and beat our defence to the puck. Other than Petry, for the last 4 games, our defence has played with their faces against the glass. Our exit plays have been non-existent. No easy exit, no offence. Unless we address this problem, this team will struggle. Sitting Mete, is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. We are getting caught being slow.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Mete - CHL Shot, NHL skating, should be in the AHL at best. Couldn't knock a fly off of horsecrap

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He really needs to get a NHL shot.
If he can consistently transport the puck out of our defensive zone, which no defenceman other than Petry can do, then I can live with his less than terrifying shot. Let him avoid the forecheck, carry the puck out of our zone and let someone else shoot the puck.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
If he can consistently transport the puck out of our defensive , which no defenceman other than Petry can do, then I can live with his less than terrifying shot. Let him avoid the forecheck, carry the puck out of our zone and let someone else shoot the puck.
Romanov can also do it. The thing is , nobody on the left side can do it when Kulak is in.
Which is beyond awful.
Mcdavid could 2 laps on the ice before Kulak Edmundson and Chariot makes one.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Some would rather, tall, slow footed, poor passers who spend 60-70% of the game running around in their own zone then a small, quick player, who gets the puck and transitions quickly to offense because it lines up with their preconceived notion that moar size matters over the quality of the player.

Mete is our 4th best dman imo, but management, like many fans think of an effective dman in the traditional sense where the spend their time blocking shots, clearing the front of the net and scrambling in their own zone. I much prefer a mobile dman who get the puck as far away from our net as possible. Chiarot/Edmundson/Kulak are all significantly worse at 90% of the game. The 10% where they are better are the least desirable qualities in a dman.

You can get away with being slow footed if you have elite passing/iq/positioning like Andrei Markov, you can’t get away with it when your goto play is off the boards and out. You’ll be defending all the time. Mete is much more effective than all 3. He needs to play. Kulak offers nothing, not the worst skater of the 3, but I think he’s worse than Chiarot/Edmunson who are nothing to write home about.

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If he can consistently transport the puck out of our defensive , which no defenceman other than Petry can do, then I can live with his less than terrifying shot. Let him avoid the forecheck, carry the puck out of our zone and let someone else shoot the puck.
I'm warming to a view like this one. He brings some vital mobility that this D-corps needs. Let Kulak sit a bit.

Reactions: montreal

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Ohhh waaait:sarcasm:

ES G60 A160 A260 P60 last year:

Chiarot 0.32G 0.27A1 0.23A2 0.82P
Mete 0.32G 0.40A1 0.08A2 0.79P
Kulak 0.00G 0.19A1 0.13A2 0.32P

Funny, Mete gets as many goals per 60 but more primary assists than Chiarot..

Primary points per 60:
Mete 0.72
Chiarot 0.59

Yet Chiarot played with much better offensive players being paired with the team's most dominant line on most nights...

Chiarot can't score or produce offense, I guess.

Your hate for Mete is all bias, nothing else

Screenshot-20210217-084032-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210217-084101-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Also, take note, Mete had one of the highest shot% on the defensive squad last season, so while his shot might not be deadly and powerful, it's more accurate than the Habs average and can come just as handy, if not more, than a powerful shot, as it can be used to set-up rebound plays.

I don't get it. This post is supposed to show his bias ?

I feel it actually validates his post. That's pathetic production for an undersized defenseman who's had issues defending.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I feel it actually validates his post. That's pathetic production for an undersized defenseman who's had issues defending.

I think you have Mete confused with Chiarot.

I challenge you to present stats that support your bias. Show us how much better Chiarot has been defensively.

(Btw, I'm kiddin, you don't need to look, I have them ready)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think you have Mete confused with Chiarot.

I challenge you to present stats that support your bias. Show us how much better Chiarot has been defensively.

(Btw, I'm kiddin, you don't need to look, I have them ready)

What is this bull ? It seems I'm apparently biased against Mete. Or is it in favor of Chiarot's defensive game ? I'm not sure, maybe you can tell me as you seem to have better knowledge of my positions than I do, lmao.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What is this bull ? It seems I'm apparently biased against Mete. Or is it in favor of Chiarot's defensive game ? I'm not sure, maybe you can tell me as you seem to have better knowledge of my positions than I do, lmao.

You said "Mete has defensive issues" when every metric shows it's entirely the opposite = bias

Want me to post the relevant stats?

The funny part is Chiarot is the one with actual defensive issues.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

But he can skate! Anyways, I wouldnt bother much. I said that I think Chiarot is better than Mete and he got livid saying that I have a love for Chiarot and am biased against Mete.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You said "Mete has defensive issues" when every metric shows it's entirely the opposite = bias

Want me to post the relevant stats?

The funny part is Chiarot is the one with actual defensive issues.

Sure, go ahead. What will they show ? That his transition game, which is excellent/top tier, favorably impacts some of his underlying numbers, while masking his poor defensive coverage and decision making.

That said, since we're going personal with all this and accusing others of bias, I'll mention a few things. The first one is if you're going to quote me, and with quotation marks, do it accurately at the very least. It takes minimal effort. I'll also say that my real opinion on Chiarot and Mete is that I've liked both, but have grown to be very much indifferent to them both. Mete's been a failure of the development system unfortunately. But you projecting stuff unto me and being this defensive has been the most salient example of bias on this page.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Sure, go ahead. What will they show ? That his transition game, which is excellent/top tier, favorably impacts some of his underlying numbers, while masking his poor defensive coverage and decision making.

That said, since we're going personal with all this and accusing others of bias, I'll mention a few things. The first one is if you're going to quote me, and with quotations as well, do it accurately at the very least. It takes minimal effort. I'll also say that my real opinion on Chiarot and Mete is that I've liked both, but have grown to be very much indifferent to them both. Mete's been a failure of the development system unfortunately. But you projecting stuff unto me and being this defensive has been the most salient example of bias on this page.

His transition work must be doing a whole lot of masking-up of his defensive defficiencies...:sarcasm:

Last two seasons aggregate: (1000 ESTOI min)
Screenshot-20210217-184816-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210217-184920-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210217-185219-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20210217-185241-Samsung-Internet.jpg

That's a whole lot of masking when there's a GA/60 difference of 1.00 between two players in the same situation.

The bolded part reminded me that your bias lies not with Mete, but the guy who drafted him. Mind doing your poo-poo in the Timmins thread instead? Thanks, appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad