Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Just finished his age 21 season. If you don't like fancy charts, I'm pretty sure he gave up something like one whole goal less per 60 than Chariot did, with Weber as his linemate.

Sometimes he looks like a junior player out there, yes, but long-term he'll probably be a good player.

EdnWp3MX0AAvZLo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's talking about shot strength though, you need to have some level of strength in order to shoot the puck hard. Caufield is great because he can pick it from anywhere. I assume the poster was just talking about improving slap shot strength so my comments weren't about wristers

How will strength improve a slapshot ?

Theres a reason why golfers have mostly technique training in their regimen vs strength training, its because actual fitness has very little impact on how hard/far someone can drive the ball. The slapshot is literally the same movement pattern as golfing, there's very little muscle exertion going on in a those type of swings.

Even when it comes to much heavier implements, like the shot-put, weight-over-bar and even olympic weightlifting, technique makes up probably 80% of the athlete.

Think about it, why would you want to be supra-optimally strong when the thing you have to move weighs 160 grams ? The bulk of the force transfered in a slap shot (And a snapper, and most wrister) comes from the weight of the shooter, arms act as strings, rather than force producers.

How do you explain Elias Pettersson being one of the best slapshotter in the league ? This guy doesn't have one muscle in his body. Lmao.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Theres a reason why golfers have mostly technique training in their regimen vs strength training, its because actual fitness has very little impact on how hard/far someone can drive the ball. The slapshot is literally the same movement pattern as golfing, there's very little muscle exertion going on in a those type of swings.

Even when it comes to much heavier implements, like the shot-put, weight-over-bar and even olympic weightlifting, technique makes up probably 80% of the athlete.

Think about it, why would you want to be supra-optimally strong when the thing you have to move weighs 160 grams ? The bulk of the force transfered in a slap shot (And a snapper, and most wrister) comes from the weight of the shooter, arms act as strings, rather than force producers.

How do you explain Elias Pettersson being one of the best slapshotter in the league ? This guy doesn't have one muscle in his body. Lmao.

There's technique but others use pure strength. Weber, Souray, etc... Some guys I played with said it was in the hips, but if you have the arm strength you certainly can hammer a puck.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's technique but others use pure strength. Weber, Souray, etc... Some guys I played with said it was in the hips, but if you have the arm strength you certainly can hammer a puck.
They use their weights, not their strength. Weber and Souray are both huge men, thats why they can clap it.

Have you ever seen a big man with a poor slapshot ?

Nathan Beaulieu is an example, do you think he was abnormally weak ? Or just terribad technically?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They use their weights, not their strength. Weber and Souray are both huge men, thats why they can clap it.

Have you ever seen a big man with a poor slapshot ?

Nathan Beaulieu is an example, do you think he was abnormally weak ? Or just terribad technically?

didn't Gill have a terrible slap shot. You use your arms, shoulders, legs, and core muscles.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Nope......he comes cheap and somewhat dependable

I hope they send Ouellet down instead but it does seem like Mete's done in Montreal. Chiarot, Kulak and Ouellet were playing ahead of him in the playoffs. Adding Edmundson and possibly Romanov should seal the deal for him unless he can beat out Juulsen/Fleury on the right side which I wouldn't count on. I think he's waiver wire.

Reactions: Roadhouse

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
He could be a very dangerous forward. Responsible defensively without the actual pressure of being a defender, the quickest skater on the team and could burn defenders coming up the wing, wouldn't have to worry about his shot as much because he would never have to shoot from the point, no longer need to worry about boxing people out in front of the net.

Paul Byron has an awful shot but he learned how to finish over the years and was a very good player for us. I don't see why Mete can't be Byron 2.0 but maybe better defensively. We don't need wingers right now but Mete would bring a lot as a forward in comparison to what he brings as a defender

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Yes, technique really goes a long way but fitness and weight also help. It's not strictly one or the other or, one over the other.

You can power a ball\puck\projectile with brute strength but, might not hit it on the nose very often without good technique, for example.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Put him on the 3rd pairing and let him develop. It would be a mistake to ship him out now. Mete is better than what many on here think.
Nah he’s a one trick pony - elite skater but came so much else, no shot, is very weak in DZone to board/corner play due to lack of size. Basically Quinn Hughes minus the elite offensive ability

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Nah he’s a one trick pony - elite skater but came so much else, no shot, is very weak in DZone to board/corner play due to lack of size. Basically Quinn Hughes minus the elite offensive ability

What? Mete is much better positionally than Hughes ATM. He's not going to anchor a top-4 D-pair anchor, but he has a skill set that the team could use. They have a ton of D that can be physical and hammer the puck at the net.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What? Mete is much better positionally than Hughes ATM. He's not going to anchor a top-4 D-pair anchor, but he has a skill set that the team could use. They have a ton of D that can be physical and hammer the puck at the net.
As I said he’s an elite skater but can’t shoot isn’t a high end rover type for offensive generation and doesn’t have the elite positioning required in the DZone to negate his small stature - opposing teams will game plan around that speed only game and isolate him in both zones... then what’s he going to do?

The org was hoping he could become a Sammy Girard type but he doesn’t have that rocket blast and is limited to being a one trick pony....he needs to find another above avg NHL level trick, to steal a regular role IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holystik

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He played so much better againsts the Leafs, he didnt look so desperate to please. And he made a nice rush up the ice AND actually a good pass at the same time. Might be the first time I've ever seen that out of him.

He's developing a. Good snapper, if still no slapper. But it would be nice to see him rush the puck up the ice and then the moment he has a chance to pass to someone more capable offensively in the offensive zone, do so. If he's given a ton of room, he may be able to surprise a goalie with a quick snapper. But he should be rush and then pass first.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
As I said he’s an elite skater but can’t shoot isn’t a high end rover type for offensive generation and doesn’t have the elite positioning required in the DZone to negate his small stature - opposing teams will game plan around that speed only game and isolate him in both zones... then what’s he going to do. The org was hoping he could become a Sammy Girard type but he doesn’t have that rocket blast and is limited to being a one trick pony....he needs to find another above avg NHL level trick, to steal a regular role IMO.

First of all, Mete is excellent positionally. Expecting "elite" positioning is a ridiculous expectation for a 22 year old.

As for game planning, teams are already game planning around Montreal's D, since most of them just have a decent 1st pass and hammer the puck at the net in the o-zone hoping for a rebound.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's developing a. Good snapper, if still no slapper. But it would be nice to see him rush the puck up the ice and then the moment he has a chance to pass to someone more capable offensively in the offensive zone, do so. If he's given a ton of room, he may be able to surprise a goalie with a quick snapper. But he should be rush and then pass first.
Do you have any video of this "good snapper"? I havent seen it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’d argue he’s better than all of Chiarot/Edmunson/Kulak, but doesn’t get a lot of love simply because he’s short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad