Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think they would offer that. The only way it would get done though is if the pick was #2, especially if a US team was holding #1. For instance, if Buffalo wound up with #1, they would probably seriously consider Kessel + Eichel for McDavid. And even though Toronto might lose on value in the trade, they would finally have a poster boy for the franchise to cash in on. So it would be win-win. McDavid will hold extra value to Canadian teams though.

That's... probably not true. At the end of the day, they still need to ice a competitive team, and two top tier pieces for one, especially an unproven one, would lead to a quick end to Shanahan's career in Toronto.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's... probably not true. At the end of the day, they still need to ice a competitive team, and two top tier pieces for one, especially an unproven one, would lead to a quick end to Shanahan's career in Toronto.

You're probably right, but there's a lot of pressure on the Leafs to get a Canadian to build around. The value would be poor, but McDavid in Toronto would be massive. And there's still a gap between McD and Eichel (Not Kessel big, physically or otherwise, but pretty big). I think Toronto is the one team in the league that would do the most to get this kid, and there's almost nothing I can't picture them doing to land him.

Last edited:

Karlsson2Turris*

This year seems to me that our captain will not run away in defenceman scoring. We don't have much offensive talent this year and Hedman is a beast. Wouldn't surprised me if he pushed Karlsson this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This year seems to me that our captain will not run away in defenceman scoring. We don't have much offensive talent this year and Hedman is a beast. Wouldn't surprised me if he pushed Karlsson this year.

He could. He didn't play on our 1st PP unit for the first 15 games or so last season, which bit into his stats. Not to mention, even when he finally was on the 1st unit, our PP wasn't nearly as good as what it should be this year (and was for the final 20 games last year). There are a lot of reasons why Hedman should score 60 points this year. If he keeps playing the way he is right now... well, let's just leave that sentence hanging so I don't jinx anything.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He could. He didn't play on our 1st PP unit for the first 15 games or so last season, which bit into his stats. Not to mention, even when he finally was on the 1st unit, our PP wasn't nearly as good as what it should be this year (and was for the final 20 games last year). There are a lot of reasons why Hedman should score 60 points this year. If he keeps playing the way he is right now... well, let's just leave that sentence hanging so I don't jinx anything.

You came awful close to being in the wrong neighborhood

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
If the oilers get mcdavid I'm going to hate them!

I don’t think that will happen, Edmonton as well as Buffalo and Islanders have had way to many good first round picks and done nothing with them that I have the feeling that the new lottery is NHL way to at least try and get the young players who can become the new posterboys to teams that have at least shown some promise in the way of developing young players, though I have the feeling that most of them will go to those teams anyway it, I can just imagine that it must be really frusterating for the NHL and I can imagine that they don’t want McDavid with all the hype surounding him going to Edmonton and Buffalo, not becuase there is anything wrong with them but they are clearly trying to make him into a star and that will be hard in those places.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t think that will happen, Edmonton as well as Buffalo and Islanders have had way to many good first round picks and done nothing with them that I have the feeling that the new lottery is NHL way to at least try and get the young players who can become the new posterboys to teams that have at least shown some promise in the way of developing young players, though I have the feeling that most of them will go to those teams anyway it, I can just imagine that it must be really frusterating for the NHL and I can imagine that they don’t want McDavid with all the hype surounding him going to Edmonton and Buffalo, not becuase there is anything wrong with them but they are clearly trying to make him into a star and that will be hard in those places.

Lottery is a lottery though. Edmonton has one of the better chances to land a top pick. If that happens though, I think they'll finally start trading some of their young talent to get a little bit of versatility in their group.

Edmonton, Buffalo, Calgary, maaaaybe Florida. All in the running. If ever there was a year to suck, this is the year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks guys. I had a feeling I wasn't alone in thinking most fans would say no.

Finding a 6'6 - 233 monster #1D that can do it all is as rare as it gets! Goodluck this season!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

If you're "the NHL" (the team unaffiliated portion), you have to be scared ****less that McDavid's development will be mishandled somehow. I don't know if it's happened on that scale before in the NHL, but I get chills thinking about Mike Shanahan keeping RG3 in a hopeless game and him aggravating his ACL injury or whatever it was.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i wouldnt want to do it but I would do hedman straight up for mcdavid.

If he continues to have the year he is having. Both of them. Depends on the GM and decision makers but do not think there are too many untouchables for mcdavid straight up in the league. Hedman is not there yet if he continues at the pace he is on and was on last season? Maybe he gets there and you can say no.

But we are talking about the best player in the last 10 years. That is the hype on the kid and nothing has said that is untrue. So yes you pull the trigger and bite the bullet having another guy like crosby or stamkos is just too great to pass up.

Maybe the others get there we have? Maybe they become comparable? Someone does kucherov or drouin but its doubtful this kid is like the most cant miss guy since crosby or stamkos above tavares or mckinnon or hedman or anyone doughty etc..

So yes am unsure people realize how big this kids hype is etc.. most teams would make a serious offer.

If tampa got an offer that was 1-1 and didnt include stamkos id have to believe stevie would serious consider it lol.

I love hedman I think he is going into another area I think because of all the talent we have and what is coming this guy hedman can do stuff no defender has done in a very long time like win an art ross etc..

Is interesting hope he can keep it up he seems to be getting better and better and he was already dammed good last year:)

Hats off to his work seriously the kid is a gamer. I would hate to lose him but would trade him for crosby also with no question lol and I HATE CROSBY haha.

Trade some of the less vital guys for another number one and/or number 2 defender lol.

Once you have a mcdavid or crosby:)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
i wouldnt want to do it but I would do hedman straight up for mcdavid.

If he continues to have the year he is having. Both of them. Depends on the GM and decision makers but do not think there are too many untouchables for mcdavid straight up in the league. Hedman is not there yet if he continues at the pace he is on and was on last season? Maybe he gets there and you can say no.

But we are talking about the best player in the last 10 years. That is the hype on the kid and nothing has said that is untrue. So yes you pull the trigger and bite the bullet having another guy like crosby or stamkos is just too great to pass up.

Maybe the others get there we have? Maybe they become comparable? Someone does kucherov or drouin but its doubtful this kid is like the most cant miss guy since crosby or stamkos above tavares or mckinnon or hedman or anyone doughty etc..

So yes am unsure people realize how big this kids hype is etc.. most teams would make a serious offer.

If tampa got an offer that was 1-1 and didnt include stamkos id have to believe stevie would serious consider it lol.

I love hedman I think he is going into another area I think because of all the talent we have and what is coming this guy hedman can do stuff no defender has done in a very long time like win an art ross etc..

Is interesting hope he can keep it up he seems to be getting better and better and he was already dammed good last year:)

Hats off to his work seriously the kid is a gamer. I would hate to lose him but would trade him for crosby also with no question lol and I HATE CROSBY haha.

Trade some of the less vital guys for another number one and/or number 2 defender lol.

Once you have a mcdavid or crosby:)

I would even go so far as to remove Stamkos. Stamkos got hyped, and Tavares might have got hyped even more, but they were considered franchise players. Neither of them got the "generational" tag. And if they did by one or two scouts, it most certainly wasn't a consensus opinion. It was with Crosby, and it is with McDavid. Scouts saw this kid coming a looooong way off, and he's proven them right every step of the way so far.

Particularly after what we saw the last time scouts were so high on a kid (Crosby), McDavid's trade value will be pretty much second to none from the get-go. The only guys who would be off-limits would be franchise players with big-time Stanley Cup contenders. I'm not saying every team will be making offers for McDavid (I doubt we will, for instance), but his trade value is higher than anyone we have.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I would even go so far as to remove Stamkos. Stamkos got hyped, and Tavares might have got hyped even more, but they were considered franchise players. Neither of them got the "generational" tag. And if they did by one or two scouts, it most certainly wasn't a consensus opinion. It was with Crosby, and it is with McDavid. Scouts saw this kid coming a looooong way off, and he's proven them right every step of the way so far.

Particularly after what we saw the last time scouts were so high on a kid (Crosby), McDavid's trade value will be pretty much second to none from the get-go. The only guys who would be off-limits would be franchise players with big-time Stanley Cup contenders. I'm not saying every team will be making offers for McDavid (I doubt we will, for instance), but his trade value is higher than anyone we have.

This post perfectly encapsulates some of the reasons I hate HF boards.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This post perfectly encapsulates some of the reasons I hate HF boards.

I'm not saying he would have more value to us. But if you were to offer, say, Calgary, Connor McDavid or Steven Stamkos? They're probably taking McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad