Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
1/4th of the way through the season and Hedman seems to have finally made that step. We all know how he's playing right now. He's been the best player all year while drawing the toughest assignments. He has made our PK stellar (only giving up 5-3 goals in the past couple of weeks), has been a monster defensively, and has amazing offensive instincts. I am so impressed with his ability to jump in or lead the rush, but get back on D and not get caught out of position.

So three cheers for the Hedmonster!

sillystring

Aug 17, 2012
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=655400

FINALISTS

Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning: It is quite likely stalwarts Weber and Chara will be back on this list soon, but for now Hedman deserves some recognition for his strong start. The Lightning were rolling before four straight losses, but Hedman's play has not slipped. He's been on the ice for 13 goals for at even strength and one against, and it hasn't been against fluff competition.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His development the previous 2 years was pretty stagnant, I know everyone game him the benefit of the doubt, but some of you have to admit that, you were a little underwhelmed.

That being said, his progress from last season to this has been incredible, it's literally taking a kid from his rookie season and time warping him into his prime right in front of your eyes. Hopefully he can keep up this level of play for years to come.

Now if only we could've taken Fowler in 2010 to play alongside him in the future :sarcasm: (Yes I'm still bitter).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
His development the previous 2 years was pretty stagnant, I know everyone game him the benefit of the doubt, but some of you have to admit that, you were a little underwhelmed.

That being said, his progress from last season to this has been incredible, it's literally taking a kid from his rookie season and time warping him into his prime right in front of your eyes. Hopefully he can keep up this level of play for years to come.

Now if only we could've taken Fowler in 2010 to play alongside him in the future :sarcasm: (Yes I'm still bitter).

If we had taken Fowler then Hedman's offense would never develope as he'd have to cover for Fowler's terrible defense. I also think Connolly can be a first line forward and I believe Fowler is good but not a top pair D, his defensive shortcomings will hold him back.
I really think Hedman has stepped his game up cause he felt the heat of Brian Lee coming for his spot.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
One of the few genuine pleasures this season has been watching Hedman play. He's so collected out there now. Criminally underrated around the league, but that's ok. Maybe he'll keep catching people off guard.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Hedman has EASILY been the best player on our team this year. I never thought I would say that, but it truly is fun to watch him. He seems way more comfortable with the puck and I always get hyped up when I see him going coast to coast.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
There are very few people, on the planet, that can move that well at 6'6". His skating is freakishly good. What we saw in spurts last season, between injuries and the leash being yanked, we're getting in healthy doses now.

The goal off of his hand/stick against MTL was amazing. Not for the finish, but for the step he took at the blue line to beat the defense to the net backdoor. Someone that big, shouldn't be able to move that fast, that smoothly. It looked effortless.

Yzlamic Preacher*

If we had taken Fowler then Hedman's offense would nevAlso so develop nevAlso develope as he'd have to cover for Fowler's terrible defense. I also think Connolly can be a first line forward and I believe Fowler is good but not a top pair D, his defensive shortcomings will hold him back.
I really think Hedman has stepped his game up cause he felt the heat of Brian Lee coming for his spot.

Wait what? Brian Lee... Coming for Hedman's spot... What? When did this happen?

Also Hedman is beasting. Let's just sit back and remember the good old times, when people were telling us we would need to add Hedman to the package to get Luongo.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
There are very few people, on the planet, that can move that well at 6'6". His skating is freakishly good. What we saw in spurts last season, between injuries and the leash being yanked, we're getting in healthy doses now.

The goal off of his hand/stick against MTL was amazing. Not for the finish, but for the step he took at the blue line to beat the defense to the net backdoor. Someone that big, shouldn't be able to move that fast, that smoothly. It looked effortless.

First thing that came to my mind.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Deserves every ounce of praise he's getting right now. This team's MVP, there's no discussion about it.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
His time in the KHL and having Salo on his pairing really seems to have helped him.

It's nice having a dman who is solid defensively to pair with him to allow him to roam more offensively.

Anyone want to see him paired with Gudas next season to see if the hitting/beard rubs off on Hedman too? :nod:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

I don't know how people keep saying this and believing it. Kids with stagnant development don't pull 24 minutes a night against teams best competition as a 21 year old. He played quite well last year, just with little offensive flair. This year you're seeing both ends of the ice come together for the big guy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't know how people keep saying this and believing it. Kids with stagnant development don't pull 24 minutes a night against teams best competition as a 21 year old. He played quite well last year, just with little offensive flair. This year you're seeing both ends of the ice come together for the big guy.

That's not a very good argument considering the pathetic defense the lightning had last year, we had no choice but to play Hedman big minutes, Brewer was going to log a lot of ice time no matter what, then you pick between Hedman, MAB(who averaged 19mins a game for us :facepalm:), Brett Clark (18.5mins/game), Lee and Mikkelsson.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
That's not a very good argument considering the pathetic defense the lightning had last year, we had no choice but to play Hedman big minutes, Brewer was going to log a lot of ice time no matter what, then you pick between Hedman, MAB(who averaged 19mins a game for us :facepalm:), Brett Clark (18.5mins/game), Lee and Mikkelsson.

If his peripherals were ******, i'd agree... but they weren't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Where do you see Hedman compard to other top defencemen in the NHL? What range, 15-20?

He needs to keep up this level of play for at least 1 season before being considered that high.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He needs to keep up this level of play for at least 1 season before being considered that high.

I agree. He's legit top pairing/#1 on a lot of teams, and if he keeps up his stellar play I wouldn't hesitate to put him top 10, but right now you could chalk it up to a hot start.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Also, MABs average was over half of a season last year. Its easy to have 2-3 weird games where he plays 25 minutes (and he actually looked good in a few of those outings, like it or not) and have it skew TOI numbers. Brewer was in over his head, Clark had a broken foot mostly the whole season, but hes still a top four defender. Really, Brewer and Clark are basically 3 and 4 slot defenders. Those are the guys that were outplaying roles, not Hedman.

Heddy constantly matched up against the teams toughest competition and wasn't out of place, but the forward corps tended to be. Poor Clarkie too... went from a hero and a shot blocking monster one year to "OMG ITS ALL HIS FAULT" by some people.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

The other thing I'll say on that note: There aren't that many Dmen in the league that I would want over him going forward. Value-wise to a franchise, speaking of not only how good he is but what you can expect from him long term, he's probably a top 10 value player in the league. He's good now, showing elite early in the season, with the potential to be elite for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->