Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanutvendor

Jan 15, 2008
Washington DC
Let the league get acquainted to him. He's like lidstrom in he does everything right, but not flashy. Not this year. In time, he's definitely gaining that respect/recognition.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Slim chances... there's just 4-5 defense-man that will be very hard to top (Pietrangelo, Weber, Keith, Karlsson, Doughty, Suter...)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably not as slim as we're making it seem. He's not the best defenseman in the league, but he has a chance to put up big points. And the best defenseman doesn't always win. I'll say eight to one.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Picture Hedman as the water in a pool. The NHL is a toe, which dips inside Hedman to see how good he is. If it's warm, he'll win a Norris, and we have a pool party.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
They only way is if the Bolts to go a long way in the playoffs and most of the voters discover we have a team here, and he plays on it. Players for O6, or Canadian teams have a higher chance of winning because of bigger fan bases and a large number of media. You have to be a lot better to win anything on a small market team, unless there is no choice (e.g. Rocket, Art Ross)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It's pretty widely acknowledged that Weber should have one. I bet Hedman doesn't get one before him.

This is some ridiculous reasoning. The Norris is a season to season award. The Norris is not an award that honors ones career. If Weber never has another season where he is the best defenseman in the league, but is always second best, then he does not deserve the norris: In that case He deserves nominations.

Given the difference in Hedman and Weber's ages, and that Hedman is on an upward trajectory (while Weber has leveled off, even if it is leveled off quite high), playing for what looks to be a strong team, I will say that Hedman and Weber have an equal chance to win a Norris over what is left of their respective careers.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
This is some ridiculous reasoning. The Norris is a season to season award. The Norris is not an award that honors ones career. If Weber never has another season where he is the best defenseman in the league, but is always second best, then he does not deserve the norris: In that case He deserves nominations.

Given the difference in Hedman and Weber's ages, and that Hedman is on an upward trajectory (while Weber has leveled off, even if it is leveled off quite high), playing for what looks to be a strong team, I will say that Hedman and Weber have an equal chance to win a Norris over what is left of their respective careers.

So what makes a defenseman the "best?" Would you say the Norris has reflected those qualities every year it has been awarded?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Flames fan coming in peace. (mods, sorry if this shouldn't be in here. Please move it if so.)

I was having a debate with a friend of mine (Bolts fan) about a hypothetical situation. Let's assume Calgary landed the 1st overall pick (McDavid) would lightning fans do this trade:

CGY:
Hedman

TB:
McDavid

I argued that that TB wouldn't make this trade, but my friend insisted they would after recently bringing in Carle, Stralman, Garisson.

Love to hear your thoughts? Looking forward to seeing you guys go deep this year!

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Flames fan coming in peace. (mods, sorry if this shouldn't be in here. Please move it if so.)

I was having a debate with a friend of mine (Bolts fan) about a hypothetical situation. Let's assume Calgary landed the 1st overall pick (McDavid) would lightning fans do this trade:

CGY:
Hedman

TB:
McDavid

I argued that that TB wouldn't make this trade, but my friend insisted they would after recently bringing in Carle, Stralman, Garisson.

Love to hear your thoughts? Looking forward to seeing you guys go deep this year!

No thanks. We need Hedman more than McDavid.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

CGY:
Hedman

TB:
McDavid

Absolutely not. No doubt McDavid is an exciting prospect, but Hedman is proven and, more importantly, necessary.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

CGY:
Hedman

TB:
McDavid

Your friend is an idiot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

CGY:
Hedman

TB:
McDavid

I think we would do it if only for the return we could get by flipping McDavid to another team. He could realistically come into the league with the highest trade value of any player.

We obviously need Hedman more than we need McDavid. But I think there's a certain point where the gap in pure trade value becomes too big to ignore. We could basically get any two players we wanted from any Canadian team in the league, maybe any major market, by trading McDavid.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
There is no way we trade Hedman for a 1st. It ain't happening. Would you trade Subban for the #1? I think Hedman > Subban, but that is just me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There is no way we trade Hedman for a 1st. It ain't happening. Would you trade Subban for the #1? I think Hedman > Subban, but that is just me.

If it's the #1 guaranteed, MTL would do that. It's been a long time since scouts have been wrong about a player like McDavid. They're calling him a generational talent, and he's the first guy to get that tag since Crosby. Particularly in Canadian cities, there aren't a lot of guys who wouldn't be dealt for McDavid, if there's anybody at all. Whoever winds up with this kid has a very good chance at having the hands-down best player in the game a few years from now. That's some serious trade value.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Then Calgary isn't going to trade him or the first overall to us for Hedman.

Yeah. No one's trading 1st overall. Although I'd love to hear the offers that will inevitably be made. They're likely to be insane.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Who do you think makes the biggest offer? Toronto? Montreal?

Toronto would offer anyone and everyone on their team. And they wouldn't be wrong to do it. They need a "face" for their franchise. (Thus the obsession with Stamkos) But they don't have the pieces to get it done.

The teams who would make insane offers though are teams who are struggling. I can imagine Carolina offering Staal +, for instance.

It's obviously all guesswork. But we haven't seen a prospect like this in 10 years. The only teams who I can imagine not making their entire team available are teams who are right in the middle of their cup window like Chicago and LA. I doubt LA would offer Doughty, for instance, but if Doughty played for, say, Winnipeg, I think they'd offer him in a heartbeat.

Teams like us will just watch from the sideline. And I sincerely doubt there'll be an offer big enough to actually get a deal done. Because aside from what he can do on the ice, McDavid is going to come with some serious marketing potential too. He would be a Godsend for the Leafs in that regard.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
A lot of what Toronto can offer is going to depend on how their season goes. I could see them offering top 5 pick + Kessel - and that would get it done.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of what Toronto can offer is going to depend on how their season goes. I could see them offering top 5 pick + Kessel - and that would get it done.

I think they would offer that. The only way it would get done though is if the pick was #2, especially if a US team was holding #1. For instance, if Buffalo wound up with #1, they would probably seriously consider Kessel + Eichel for McDavid. And even though Toronto might lose on value in the trade, they would finally have a poster boy for the franchise to cash in on. So it would be win-win. McDavid will hold extra value to Canadian teams though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad