Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Mårt´s said that Hedman is good at many things, but he isnt great in anything specifik.. Thats why he´s not in the squad or reservelist..

Not only is that incredibly stupid, it's also incredibly wrong. Whatever - Sweden took their biggest strength - an incredibly deep D - and squandered it for stupid political/personal reasons.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Mårt´s said that Hedman is good at many things, but he isnt great in anything specifik.. Thats why he´s not in the squad or reservelist..

It would have been better had he not said anything - what he has said here is blatantly false, and the majority of the hockey world knows as such. Saying this shows that he either doesn't know how to evaluate talent or is lying to the media. There is most likely something going on here, Hedman must have angered some high-ranking officials in that office.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
mårt´s said that hedman is good at many things, but he isnt great in anything specifik.. Thats why he´s not in the squad or reservelist..

images.jpg

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I noticed that this year although Victor Hedman finished in the top 10 in points for defensemen, only 14 came on the powerplay. Is he not terribly involved on the PP? Is he just that much stronger at even strength? If he gets the legitimate #2 with him, do you expect him to get more involved with the PP next season?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I'm a big advocate for Hedman on the PP. Big advocate. Big. Advocate. For Hedman. On the PP.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think Salo was on the top PP for a pretty good chunk of the year. Hedman is so much better in that spot and it will only get better with the addition of Drouin next year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman was rarely used on the PP. He mostly saw ES and PK duties.

Not sure why people are saying this, considering Hedman got plenty of PP time this year (he lead all defenseman in total PP time as well as total PPtime/game while missing 7 games, him and the PP units were just not that good. He's way better at ES and oddly enough producing SH points.

I don't think he's that great on the PP but we don't particularly have anyone better, Hedman's offense is so much more dangerous off the Rush, he makes terrible cycling decisions at times.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Not sure why people are saying this, considering Hedman got plenty of PP time this year (he lead all defenseman in total PP time as well as total PPtime/game while missing 7 games, him and the PP units were just not that good. He's way better at ES and oddly enough producing SH points.

I don't think he's that great on the PP but we don't particularly have anyone better, Hedman's offense is so much more dangerous off the Rush, he makes terrible cycling decisions at times.

Did he really lead our D in PP time? I can honestly say I never noticed him out there :laugh:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did he really lead our D in PP time? I can honestly say I never noticed him out there :laugh:

Yeah he did, maybe you're thinking of years past where he was completely shunned from the PP, especially last year when it seemed he was coming into his own offensively.

This year however, he was pretty much out there as much as possible as long he wasn't coming off a long shift or killing a penalty before the PP.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
The more I think of it the more I like going the trade route bringing in Michael Stone as a number two which he would let Hedman roam.

Adding Sami Vatanen for right side and power play and

adding Eric Gelinas for the left side and power play.

That brings up Hedman and Vatanen on first power play with Carle Gelinas on second?

Or Sustr Gelinas on second since Carle is not good at all on power play?

Gelinas and Vatanen give us two legit guys who will pot 10 goals and 40 some points apiece.

That is like lidstrom and rafalski not as good but seriously a nice thing to have lol.

I like the idea of protecting these kids moving out barberio and aulie for picks.

We could run the 7 defenders thing most nights and protect the kids

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The more I think of it the more I like going the trade route bringing in Michael Stone as a number two which he would let Hedman roam.

Adding Sami Vatanen for right side and power play and

adding Eric Gelinas for the left side and power play.

That brings up Hedman and Vatanen on first power play with Carle Gelinas on second?

Or Sustr Gelinas on second since Carle is not good at all on power play?

Gelinas and Vatanen give us two legit guys who will pot 10 goals and 40 some points apiece.

That is like lidstrom and rafalski not as good but seriously a nice thing to have lol.

I like the idea of protecting these kids moving out barberio and aulie for picks.

We could run the 7 defenders thing most nights and protect the kids

What do you see us trading away for all that?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
What do you see us trading away for all that?

The quotes are on main I overpaid think can do less but vatanen for this years 1st
gelinas for connolly and I put on a second he scored 7 goals 5 power play goals and 30 points in 60 games as first time player this year.

stone is for killorn for the op added a fourth but am sure could do as follows

stone for killorn
vatanen for 19-21st pick
gelinas for connolly

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The quotes are on main I overpaid think can do less but vatanen for this years 1st
gelinas for connolly and I put on a second he scored 7 goals 5 power play goals and 30 points in 60 games as first time player this year.

stone is for killorn for the op added a fourth but am sure could do as follows

stone for killorn
vatanen for 19-21st pick
gelinas for connolly

You know we never agree on anything and this is another one of those times. I would like Stone but think Killorn is too valuable for us, he can play anywhere in the top 3 lines and we don't have versatility to replace him. If we can get Stone for something else I'd be all for it.

Vatanen isn't a bad option but don't think he's proven enough to be worth a mid 1st, his defensive play is a bit of a liability too. Anaheim is playing Fistric and Allan over him who are pretty terrible bottom pair players.

Gelinas is a really good PP guy but that's about it, he isn't as physical as you think. He's 6'4 but doesn't use it well. Reminds me of a left handed Franson but less physical. I'd much rather give Barberio a chance rather then trading away Connolly plus for something we already have. Barberio wasn't given much PP time to show what he can do, think he can be the QB on the 2nd unit.

About Hedman he wasn't on the PP early in the season, when Stamkos went down they put him on it. If he was on there with Stamkos all season he could've easily gotten to 60 points. Only issue with him is his shot isn't the most accurate and he does that bounce off the boards shot too much.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Another issue is that Hedman is a lefty and quarterbacking a right hand shot from the left marks in Stamkos. Meaning when Hedman receives a pass at the point as a lefty he can't just pass to Stamkos he has to pivot and switch then pass which slows down the transition from first pass to point to second pass to Stammer for the shot.

In this situation for example it would be best to get a righty on the first PP unit and Hedman playing with a lefty shot (Kucherov) on second PP unit. This would be optimal scenario I think. That is why we insisted on trying out Salo, Kotska, Barberio - which are all right handed at the point. We tried them at various points during the season but weren't as good as Hedman and he is not the optimal fit under this scenario.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
In this situation for example it would be best to get a righty on the first PP unit and Hedman playing with a lefty shot (Kucherov) on second PP unit. This would be optimal scenario I think. That is why we insisted on trying out Salo, Kotska, Barberio - which are all right handed at the point. We tried them at various points during the season but weren't as good as Hedman and he is not the optimal fit under this scenario.

Barbs shoots left.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You know we never agree on anything and this is another one of those times. I would like Stone but think Killorn is too valuable for us, he can play anywhere in the top 3 lines and we don't have versatility to replace him. If we can get Stone for something else I'd be all for it.

Vatanen isn't a bad option but don't think he's proven enough to be worth a mid 1st, his defensive play is a bit of a liability too. Anaheim is playing Fistric and Allan over him who are pretty terrible bottom pair players.

Gelinas is a really good PP guy but that's about it, he isn't as physical as you think. He's 6'4 but doesn't use it well. Reminds me of a left handed Franson but less physical. I'd much rather give Barberio a chance rather then trading away Connolly plus for something we already have. Barberio wasn't given much PP time to show what he can do, think he can be the QB on the 2nd unit.

About Hedman he wasn't on the PP early in the season, when Stamkos went down they put him on it. If he was on there with Stamkos all season he could've easily gotten to 60 points. Only issue with him is his shot isn't the most accurate and he does that bounce off the boards shot too much.

I know I use detroit as an example at times. But think Lidstrom Rafalski. Think Chicago, think montreal, think st louis, think boston and than think TAMPA.

Than you put this CRAP ON BARBERIO and you find out truly how sick and funny I mean like weird AL funny your statements are?

I know how teams that are built look and succeed barberio might become a legit number four. He might become a good power play guy.

HE AINT EVEN CLOSE THOUGH. We NEED to address this as this team stands we are ready for a cup run in two years on the outside.

What are we missing? Some physicality a legit strong power play a number two and maybe a number four d man.

That is truly it maybe a physical forward or two but think the kids can deal with that with our speed especially if sign callahan.

So I get you disagree on me with some things? Yet some things you say are very funny no matter what you think of them and I think you say certain things cause you like to disagree lol.

That is all well and fine we agree we need upgrades to D. We need a physical d and we need a power play RH qb. If we lose killorn a 0.5 player? That is not a big deal ?

If we lose Connolly for a superstar power play quarterback to team with stamkos? That is pretty solid. If Anaheim wasnt so dammed deep on D with young stars Vatanen would not be an odd man out he played SUPER WELL as a number 4 d 17 minutes a game was nothing wrong with his game and the fans will not be down on him at all. They got some gems though in lindholm etc.. Super stars like him make Sami Vatanen expendable to him. Right now Barberio cant hold his jock. Is like trouba to Vatanen the difference and I mean that.

Gelinas and guys I have mentioned despres are much more physical than our guys so dont knock them cause they aint gudas jeez.

Stone is a band aid to let koekkoek and sustr grow.

To not do nothing and throw away say next year at this point would be a shame.

We cant fit all these guys on offense use the ones with the most worth connolly or killorn and upgrade the weaknesses.

ITS TIME. I hate that we cant get a superstar like hedman to be hedmans partner of the future but I dont personally want to move

Johnson Kucherov types to get what is needed. I would rather do an upgrade and bench a barberio a bit and move aulie and kostka etc.. We resign salo I might blow a gasket.

The two guys I see with power play potential which can upgrade and help us now are gelinas and vatanen if you have a better suggestion? Spit it out? Run it by us?

I am listening for sure.

I get some people want a style of pysyk but to me he doesnt bring the offense. Larsson if he moves new jersey should fire their GM imho etc.. We could probably make a deal for a stud but the cost would put us backwards and we dont need to do that.

We can stay as is no core moving honestly and get what is needed in my suggestions.

If you have other ideas I want to hear them? Carle sucks on power play I want him off hedman should be on second power play. Gelinas or despres is the best option out there to me for a 3-4 guy or 5-6 guy we can upgrade for barberio till he either comes around or we move him.

I truly want us FEARED on the power play and to move guys we dont need?

Well I feel we can move two of three all day Teddy Purcell Brett Connolly and Alex Killorn and not have a second thought if we get more dangerous on power play and we get defensive upgrades.

Is that simple the equation so who can we get around 2 of those three guys that can change how we do things and upgrade this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad