OT: Via Twitter poll, Franco Aquilini wants to know if Bo Horvat should get the captaincy

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I wish I could just quit on this team. I've said it at times before (late 90s, 2016, 2017, 2018, now), but I know I'm not going anywhere. This is such an embarrassment of a team right now. Maybe its recency bias but this feels much worse than the Messier days.

Reactions: Grantham

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Screenshot (400).png

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Fair enough and I admit that I rushed to judgement (I can’t see twitter over here in China and I had assumed that the posters in this thread were being accurate with their details).

In that case, I don’t think Aqua’s actions were unprofessional at all.
It was a tweet with two options on a vote
Should we name a captain this year ?
Or should we wait a year?

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
I wish I could just quit on this team. I've said it at times before (late 90s, 2016, 2017, 2018, now), but I know I'm not going anywhere. This is such an embarrassment of a team right now. Maybe its recency bias but this feels much worse than the Messier days.
"Hey buddy. So sorry ur upset about this. Let's talk it out on Instagram."
-Francesco

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Stop being a drama queen. The team is in disarray but at least we have Bo, Boeser, Elias and Hughes. The messier years were beyond dark

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

52140183.jpg

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
Stop being a drama queen. The team is in disarray but at least we have Bo, Boeser, Elias and Hughes. The messier years were beyond dark
I think the worry now is that the people at the top keep making Messier era-esque decisions for the next few years and that none of the players mentioned want to stick around here any longer than they have to.

Reactions: xtr3m

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think the worry now is that the people at the top keep making Messier era-esque decisions for the next few years and that none of the players mentioned want to stick around here any longer than they have to.
Well Bo wants to stay. I guess we will see after the Brock contract if he is committed. Hughes is committed for sure. He loves Vancouver. I get the apprehension but things aren’t that bad right now. The messier years were something else man

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If this Twitter poll is for real and Aquilini is really polling the fans on who should be captain of the Canucks, then it just about confirms everything the alarmists were saying about a meddlesome owner who knows absolutely nothing about hockey, but insists on micro-managing. Truly troubling and depressing, if true.

Not much wonder Linden just walked away, and both Lombardi and Holland turned two-thumbs down on this joke of a franchise. Benning is the perfect, malleable shill of a GM for this ownership. They deserve each other. My God it's hard to be a Canucks fan sometimes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Even if I were to be in my most critical mood and refer to the current regime as completely incompetent bumbling buffoons, it still wouldn’t compare to the Messier/Keenan years. Not only was the team being run by incompetent, bumbling buffoons, but there was a myriad of other issues as well.

1. The alienation of the franchise’s first true star player in Pavel Bure reached its peak and demanded a trade.

2. There was no young talent even remotely comparable to Horvat, Boeser or Pettersson for Canuck fans to be excited over - it was barren.

3. The economy didn’t help. Relocation rumors and threats were very real - there’s a reason Brian Burke said “all it takes to move this team is a quarter and a phone call”.

And that’s not even really talking about how Keenan and Messier pretty much worked to rip the heart out of this team and it’s fanbase. If that wasn’t planned, then it sure came off as though it was.

I’m not a fan of our current management team or the direction they are taking. And this is certainly the worst post-Keenan time we have had. But all that said, it’s still not even close to as bad as the Keenan and Messier days.

Reactions: mratch19 and Red

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't take a lot of this stuff seriously but this is actually ridiculous.

I'm shocked we don't have more paper bags in the arena.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This thread is what the Benning defenders are talking about when they say there is a bias against the management at HF/Nucks.

We need to save our outrage for the things that deserve it.

Reactions: John Johnson

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Even if I were to be in my most critical mood and refer to the current regime as completely incompetent bumbling buffoons, it still wouldn’t compare to the Messier/Keenan years. Not only was the team being run by incompetent, bumbling buffoons, but there was a myriad of other issues as well.

1. The alienation of the franchise’s first true star player in Pavel Bure reached its peak and demanded a trade.

2. There was no young talent even remotely comparable to Horvat, Boeser or Pettersson for Canuck fans to be excited over - it was barren.

3. The economy didn’t help. Relocation rumors and threats were very real - there’s a reason Brian Burke said “all it takes to move this team is a quarter and a phone call”.

And that’s not even really talking about how Keenan and Messier pretty much worked to rip the heart out of this team and it’s fanbase. If that wasn’t planned, then it sure came off as though it was.

I’m not a fan of our current management team or the direction they are taking. And this is certainly the worst post-Keenan time we have had. But all that said, it’s still not even close to as bad as the Keenan and Messier days.

To be fair, I wouldn't pin much of the Bure stuff on them. This was clearly a feud between Bure and the Quinn regime. In an old Tony Gallagher article from 1999, he mentions that Bure had already requested a trade by the time Keenan had come in and it was too late to turn back:

Tony Gallagher said:
Enter Mike Keenan. It was at this point Bure said he reconsidered the request quietly to himself because he liked the way Iron Mike was running the show. He was playing 27 or 28 minutes a night and loved it. But he decided there had been too much water under the bridge to turn back.

``I can tell you honestly I had no problem with Mike whatsoever and I loved to play for him. He was the coach and general manager at that time and I had 39 goals and a big bonus for 50. He called me in the office and said, `Listen, don't worry about 50 goals. I'll get you 50. I'll help you to do it.' And he was the general manager. I really like Mike.

He claims Keenan's style didn't bother him much and shrugged off the ``you little suck'' name-calling incident the coach engaged in during a game in Ottawa last season.

``That didn't bother me,'' Bure said.

``I played for (Viktor) Tikhonov so that was nothing.''

Last edited:

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Can you imagine if the fans build a legit contender??!?!
A team with an interim coach just won the cup. Anything can happen, they need to get creative and innovate.

Promote Benning to president. Let's hire some random HF guy as GM who has no power but decisions go thru fans first. For every trade proposal and contract negotiations cross check with fans to see if logical and liked.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Even if this is a joke, it's pretty bush league... especially considering the person Frank is.

I am so conflicted honestly. I want the Canucks to win a cup very badly, but I also don't want to give Frank the satisfaction of having a winning team again. My desire for a cup outweighs that, which is why I'm still willing to follow this team while he's the owner, but I've been very close to just saying "**** it" and following the league more neutrally.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
oh I was having a nice day away from the Internet yesterday, and somebody texted this to me. I thought it was a joke. As pointed out earlier in this thread, nobody should be confused as to who's in charge of the day to day operations of this team.

And the current situation is much, much worse than the Keenan-Messier era.

Reactions: Carnal and clunk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad