OT: Via Twitter poll, Franco Aquilini wants to know if Bo Horvat should get the captaincy

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
The 80's was a much darker time. The Oiler's pounding the hell out of us. Calgary pulverizing anything that was left. Don't think we had a winning record the entire decade. No prospects to get excited about. Even the season of our miracle Cup run we were a garbage team that bottled lightening in Richard Brodeur and rode him to the finals. In which we were jokingly disposed of by a real team. If you think these are our darkest time I suggest you are not old enough to remember.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
1. The players should choose the captain.

2, Management should choose when to designate the captain.

If the poll asks only when Canucks should choose a captain, then this violates number 2.

Unfortunately, with our specific circumstances, choosing now means Horvat over Pettersson, violating number 1 as well.

Hello, I am Bo Horvat. The fans designated me as captain...

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Edler should have been Captain last year, and he should be Captain this year if Seattle doesn't pick him up. At 24 years of age, Bo doesn't need the extra off ice work required of a captain that's not named Gretzky or Lemieux.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Edler should have been Captain last year, and he should be Captain this year if Seattle doesn't pick him up. At 24 years of age, Bo doesn't need the extra off ice work required of a captain that's not named Gretzky or Lemieux.
I agree. I would have appointed Edler or Tanev last season. Bo will get his chance.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Edler and speaking to the media, there's something I'd love to see.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
There's almost no chance that it's not Bo. Bo has been in front of the media so much already with so many interviews post-game and mid-game at the intermission.

Bush league ownership though for sure. This franchise is unsufferable at times with the decisions they make. An owners job is write the cheque and do nothing else. Infuriating.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
1. The players should choose the captain.

2, Management should choose when to designate the captain.

If the poll asks only when Canucks should choose a captain, then this violates number 2.

Unfortunately, with our specific circumstances, choosing now means Horvat over Pettersson, violating number 1 as well.

Hello, I am Bo Horvat. The fans designated me as captain...

I only vividly remember from 87’ onwards, but yeah.......

Whether it was the NHL or the CFL, Edmonton almost always delivered some world class beatings to us.

True story - I sucker punched one of my friends in the face in the first grade because he kept pronouncing Jari Kurri as “Jerry Kurri.” We had a year of silence between us after that incident but eventually made up.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There's almost no chance that it's not Bo. Bo has been in front of the media so much already with so many interviews post-game and mid-game at the intermission.

Bush league ownership though for sure. This franchise is unsufferable at times with the decisions they make. An owners job is write the cheque and do nothing else. Infuriating.

I agree completely.

If the Canucks’ Captain is anyone but Bo at this point, it would be a bad decision.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't have any problems with Joe Blow launching a Twitter poll on who the next captain of the Canucks should be.....but the Team Owner? Are you kidding me?

What are the acting GM, the coach and the players supposed to think? That the guy who owns an $800 million business is is really just a fan-boy at heart or as the team owner, at the end of the day really has the ultimate say on who dons the 'C'.

There are some guys who need to stay off Twitter. Donald Trump is another one.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
That not that young in the modern NHL especially Horvat who's entering his 6th NHL season.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
What are the acting GM, the coach and the players supposed to think? That the guy who owns an $800 million business is is really just a fan-boy at heart or as the team owner, at the end of the day really has the ultimate say on who dons the 'C'.

$735 million

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The 80's was a much darker time. The Oiler's pounding the hell out of us. Calgary pulverizing anything that was left. Don't think we had a winning record the entire decade. No prospects to get excited about. Even the season of our miracle Cup run we were a garbage team that bottled lightening in Richard Brodeur and rode him to the finals. In which we were jokingly disposed of by a real team. If you think these are our darkest time I suggest you are not old enough to remember.
Yeah but man you could get Shoppers Drug Mart tickets to see the Hartford Whalers for like $10 bucks. Nosebleeds, but the Coliseum was half empty so you could either stay in the nosebleeds and be entertained by the cursing and fights or sneak down to the lower seats.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Yeah but man you could get Shoppers Drug Mart tickets to see the Hartford Whalers for like $10 bucks. Nosebleeds, but the Coliseum was half empty so you could either stay in the nosebleeds and be entertained by the cursing and fights or sneak down to the lower seats.

Accurate!
Those were the days.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I mean, there was actual talk of relocating the franchise and it included the trade of Pavel Bure (which wasn't their fault but still happened during the same time.) in terms of the competence or the on ice product, no it wasn't lower, but in terms of the misery of being a fan easy to argue that it was.

We also didn't have this place.

Talk of relocation was mostly about the very low Canadian dollar at the time.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ahhhhh.....the good old urinal troughs at the old Pacific Coliseum. They still use them at Nat Bailey for those nostalgic about those things.:eek:

kaul

Jul 8, 2015
Can you edit the thread title? it is extremely misleading. Franco never mentioned if Bo Horvat should get the captaincy. He asked if a captain should be named.
This is spreading fake news at its best...

besides that, I think Edler should be made Captain this year. If they wait, then it'd probably be Bo or EP.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't like Acquilini and the poll is dumb. But he's not asking the fans to decide anything (and certainly not who will be the captain -- the poll says nothing about that). Somebody in PR probably just thought this would be a good way to create fan engagement.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Can you edit the thread title? it is extremely misleading. Franco never mentioned if Bo Horvat should get the captaincy. He asked if a captain should be named.
This is spreading fake news at its best...

besides that, I think Edler should be made Captain this year. If they wait, then it'd probably be Bo or EP.

It’s par the course for many posters on here unfortunately. Why a select group of people and fans so desperately want to throw their General Manager under a bus is beyond me. A well know “militant” troll blog in Vancouver (in the name of the Canucks) conducts their business in a similar manner. If all of the above were charged with libel and slander somehow (will never happen obviously), I wouldn’t be opposed to it at all.

Having said that - I don’t think this PR guy should have asked this question on Twitter in an effort to create fan engagement. It inadvertently made the organization look a little bush league, and was also inadvertently a little disrespectful to some of the Canuck players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->