Confirmed Trade: [VGK/OTT] Mark Stone, Tobias Lindberg for Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg, and 2020 2nd round pick

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't think that package is better than what the Sens got from Vegas.
Romanov was the top dman at the WJC over Brannstrom, while being bigger, more physical, better defensively, and a year younger. You know who was the last 18 year old dman to win defenseman of the tourney at the WJC? Erik Karlsson.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Romanov was the top dman at the WJC over Brannstrom, while being bigger, more physical, better defensively, and a year younger. You know who was the last 18 year old dman to win defenseman of the tourney at the WJC? Erik Karlsson.

He also isn't signed, and playing over in the KHL. Who knows whether Ottawa would be able to get him to come to NA.

Much rather the vegas offer, it isnt even close imo.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Stop with Romanov better than Brannstrom please MTL fans...

Moore physical ans defensive maybe, but offensive and puck skills are nowhere near Brannstrom..

Romanov might be a Emelin 2,0.

Reactions: Devonator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Top D at the WJC? Sounds like Olli Juolevi, at 17 none the less.

Wish people realized that international tournament performance isn't the only thing that matters.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

They are basicly the same weight and only 1 inch hight difference. Romanov racked up 4 points in the K this year. I'm not sure he should be mentioned with EK yet if ever

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Brannstrom greater than whatever Montreal could offer quality wise.

Yeah. Outside of JK; there's no individual young/prospect piece that moves the needle as much as getting Brannstrom out of Vegas does.
And that's no real slight. There's probably only like... 10 NHL prospects in the entire NHL that move that needle for Ottawa the way getting Brannstrom does.

Yeah. Sure. Montreal could offer Romanov, a first, some other shit... but man, Brannstrom is about as much of a sure bet to be an impact player in the league as there is right now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah. Outside of JK; there's no individual young/prospect piece that moves the needle as much as getting Brannstrom out of Vegas does.
And that's no real slight. There's probably only like... 10 NHL prospects in the entire NHL that move that needle for Ottawa the way getting Brannstrom does.

Yeah. Sure. Montreal could offer Romanov, a first, some other ****... but man, Brannstrom is about as much of a sure bet to be an impact player in the league as there is right now.

And that's what Ottawa needed more than anything. Two late firsts . . . a couple of B prospects . . . more pieces involved there, but the odds of any of those pieces turning into BRannstrom are slim.

Branstrom isn't a guarantee by any means, but he is more of a sure thing than anything else they could have gotten. And fills a massive hole the Sens have in the system. They have more than a few guys who will probably be top 6 forwards, and lots of depth defense but no high end defensive prospects outside of Chabot, who really isn't a prospect anymore anyway.

Its about as great a return as I could have hoped for Stone.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And that's what Ottawa needed more than anything. Two late firsts . . . a couple of B prospects . . . more pieces involved there, but the odds of any of those pieces turning into BRannstrom are slim.

Branstrom isn't a guarantee by any means, but he is more of a sure thing than anything else they could have gotten. And fills a massive hole the Sens have in the system. They have more than a few guys who will probably be top 6 forwards, and lots of depth defense but no high end defensive prospects outside of Chabot, who really isn't a prospect anymore anyway.

Its about as great a return as I could have hoped for Stone.

I said it years ago when my team was liquidating assets for a rebuild; who cares about getting first rounders and C prospects for players... from teams that will finish in the top 25% of the league? You essentially are getting guys who won't be in your system within the next 3 years and a total crap-shoot.

Get the best piece you can. If that piece is a first rounder, then do it... but if that piece can be a legit blue chip prospect take that 100 times before you grab the pick.

I'd legitimately like to have someone compile from the past 10 years a list of trades involving A+ assets.
Essentially, a star, semi-start or overpriced player being traded for a 1st or a blue chip (the trading teams' top 3 prospect at the time) and what the spread is in terms of getting an impact NHLer.

I think it'd be shocking how many 1sts are completely missed.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I said it years ago when my team was liquidating assets for a rebuild; who cares about getting first rounders and C prospects for players... from teams that will finish in the top 25% of the league? You essentially are getting guys who won't be in your system within the next 3 years and a total crap-shoot.

Get the best piece you can. If that piece is a first rounder, then do it... but if that piece can be a legit blue chip prospect take that 100 times before you grab the pick.

I'd legitimately like to have someone compile from the past 10 years a list of trades involving A+ assets.
Essentially, a star, semi-start or overpriced player being traded for a 1st or a blue chip (the trading teams' top 3 prospect at the time) and what the spread is in terms of getting an impact NHLer.

I think it'd be shocking how many 1sts are completely missed.

Very much so.

I think for Ottawa . . . they have some good young pieces now, and more in the pipeline. So injecting a player like Branstrom right away, probably as soon as next year is important. He and CHabot can grow into the top defensemen on the team, and players from previous drafts and upcoming drafts will filter in at different times over time. Its nice that they have picks in this and the next draft, so they won't have an influx of players coming in all at once. THey'd be overloaded with contracts and have to move some for futures.

But they need a young core to build from, and Branstrom, should he be what he's projected to be, is the perfect addition to that.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Kotkaniemi is better then Brannstrom is better then Romanov. All 3 look to be top line players.

It's really hard to say what Romanov is capable of offensively in the KHL at his age. If you compare him to others, he looks impressive. Look at Markov at the same age..

Reactions: slybel

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Stop with Romanov better than Brannstrom please MTL fans...

Moore physical ans defensive maybe, but offensive and puck skills are nowhere near Brannstrom..

Romanov might be a Emelin 2,0.

And Brännström might be a Rundblad 2.0. Not that Brännström isn't the more coveted dman at the moment but Romanov is a great prospect on his own.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Ah, yes, those 2 centimeters really make all the difference.

Also, I'm not sure what world you live in, but you don't round up 4 months to 1 year in this one.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
If brannstrom would be the equivalent of a top 5 pick in value / skill wise... like if we drafted him at the draft this year.. where would he get taken? If the guy would be a top 5 - 10 talent in the draft this year then I think the Sens did "okay" and can understand why maybe there was no first round pick if that's how the deal was looked at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad