Confirmed Trade: [VGK/OTT] Mark Stone, Tobias Lindberg for Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg, and 2020 2nd round pick

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If brannstrom would be the equivalent of a top 5 pick in value / skill wise... like if we drafted him at the draft this year.. where would he get taken? If the guy would be a top 5 - 10 talent in the draft this year then I think the Sens did "okay" and can understand why maybe there was no first round pick if that's how the deal was looked at.

I'd take him over Podkolzin

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Excluding the Melnyk debacle with this team, are Ottawa fans happy with the returns they have gotten on their trades lately?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Excluding the Melnyk debacle with this team, are Ottawa fans happy with the returns they have gotten on their trades lately?

I think most of us would have preferred quality over quantity on the Duchene, Dzingel, and Karlsson deals.

That said - it's becoming increasingly clear that the NHL trade market is shifting. Top prospects have as much value as, and arguably more, than a lot of stars in the league.

It's not reasonable to expect a return like Tolvanen + 1st + extras for Duchene given the circumstances.

I think Ottawa made out fine in terms of the return they could get. I have a feeling the tune would be different if Ottawa had its 1st this year. Because they don't, people continue to pile on with how awful Ottawa's situation is.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
There have been worse trades in the past, am I right? Ottawa is simply rebuilding for the future, they're like the Penguins & Blackhawks before Crosby/Malkin & Toews/Kane were drafted. Now, if Ottawa drafts a superstar or two in the near future along with some defensive help, then they'll be in good shape. Not forgetting about their current goalie prospects as well.

On an extra note, their current ownership/management is holding them back. And if you were in Stone's situation, would you rather stay in Ottawa or get traded to a contender?

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If brannstrom would be the equivalent of a top 5 pick in value / skill wise... like if we drafted him at the draft this year.. where would he get taken? If the guy would be a top 5 - 10 talent in the draft this year then I think the Sens did "okay" and can understand why maybe there was no first round pick if that's how the deal was looked at.

As of a month ago, Craig Button considered him a more valuable prospect than Zadina, Dobson, and Hayton - all of which went high in the previous draft.

That's just a single opinion though. Prospects tend to not have a static value, it differs depending on how each team trading for that prospect will view them.

Reactions: Chabot84

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ottawa got a great defenseman in Brannstrom. I'm kind of sad to see him go because he was great with the Wolves this season.
I'm sad to see Brannstrom go because my fantasy of a Vegas defense looking like

Schmidt-Theodore
Brannstrom-Hague
Miller-McNabb

is dead.

2us8ra.jpg

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
As of a month ago, Craig Button considered him a more valuable prospect than Zadina, Dobson, and Hayton - all of which went high in the previous draft.

That's just a single opinion though. Prospects tend to not have a static value, it differs depending on how each team trading for that prospect will view them.

They did give us a second as well. I know we hear about the other teams dropping out because our price for Stone "Was too high" and that "Forced" us to take this deal and we had our backs up against the wall... but that could just be information being leaked to the press to protect those fan bases who would surely be disappointed they didn't get Stone as they must have been excited. It is actually possible that Dorion got what he wanted.. the more I'm reading about this kid the more I'm understanding why there was no first round pick in the deal.. which of course is the part that initially shocked most Sens fans I think.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Like if this kid would go top 10 in the draft then essentially the Sens got equivalent value of top 10 pick + 2nd for Stone which for some reason I think would make some fans happier and more excited.. what I like about the deal (if there is anything to like about this situation for the sens) is that this kid is a known quantity and was most likely targeted by Dorion and not thrown in our laps..

This is more like an "A" prospect..

the deal sens were expecting was probably "B+" prospect + 1st + something... in this deal we just traded the B+ for an A or A+ (tbd) + 2nd (downgraded the late first to get the better prospect)

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
There is certainly more value placed on a 1st round pick who one year later has only increased his stock.

I'm sure we can all list the players drafted in the top 15 who haven't really done much of anything a year later...

This is a guy who is in the AHL at 19 and looks to be dominating already.

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
If this kid is as good as ive been reading... then I think Dorion did well on this trade as I don't know what someone can actually realistically expect for a return on Stone in this situation.. I expected value and I expected to be overall disappointed.. and that's what I got... but this kid here might be something to get excited about. That I did not expect.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
ya exluding all the other 'stuff' , Dorion did well especially if Duchene signs in CBJ then I am pretty happy with it.

I was hoping we could get Tolvanen for Dutch but i am guessing he wasn't willing to sign with anyone yet

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They did give us a second as well. I know we hear about the other teams dropping out because our price for Stone "Was too high" and that "Forced" us to take this deal and we had our backs up against the wall... but that could just be information being leaked to the press to protect those fan bases who would surely be disappointed they didn't get Stone as they must have been excited. It is actually possible that Dorion got what he wanted.. the more I'm reading about this kid the more I'm understanding why there was no first round pick in the deal.. which of course is the part that initially shocked most Sens fans I think.

I think CGY was leaking lots of stuff about the price being too high early Sunday because they were trying to prevent a bidding war.

From what we know, the price was too high for a "rental" which is why Dorion didn't have a comparable plan B with a Brannstrom tier prospect.

VGK only put Brannstrom on the table late Sunday. I wonder if that has anything to do with OTT and CGY apparently getting real close to a deal Sunday night. Maybe Vegas did it to disrupt that.

Based on what Lebrun has said, Vegas never intended to give up Brannstrom for a rental. They put him on the table, and when Dorion accepted in the last hour, McPhee changed the game by insisting he be able to speak with Stone about an extension. That was something Dorion was not letting teams do, but McPhee recognized his leverage and that Dorion had no choice because nobody else was offering up a Brannstrom tier piece.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
ya exluding all the other 'stuff' , Dorion did well especially if Duchene signs in CBJ then I am pretty happy with it.

I was hoping we could get Tolvanen for Dutch but i am guessing he wasn't willing to sign with anyone yet

Thats good. Dorion hasnt been a great GM but I think he has done ok considering the conditions hes working with.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I think CGY was leaking lots of stuff about the price being too high early Sunday because they were trying to prevent a bidding war.

From what we know, the price was too high for a "rental" which is why Dorion didn't have a comparable plan B with a Brannstrom tier prospect.

VGK only put Brannstrom on the table late Sunday. I wonder if that has anything to do with OTT and CGY apparently getting real close to a deal Sunday night. Maybe Vegas did it to disrupt that.

Based on what Lebrun has said, Vegas never intended to give up Brannstrom for a rental. They put him on the table, and when Dorion accepted in the last hour, McPhee changed the game by insisting he be able to speak with Stone about an extension. That was something Dorion was not letting teams do, but McPhee recognized his leverage and that Dorion had no choice because nobody else was offering up a Brannstrom tier piece.

Thanks for sharing.. that sounds logical and most likely very accurate. Appreciate that.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
How has Stone played for you guys so far??
He's been great, him arriving in Vegas has elevated everybodies game. When he's comfortable with Turk's system he'll be deadly. Our power play is also looking much better thanks to him, the one assist he has with us is a beaut of a play by him, Karlsson, & Theodore(and is our best PPG this season):

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Thats good. Dorion hasnt been a great GM but I think he has done ok considering the conditions hes working with.

That's a good point. When GMs are dealing with Ottawa, they know Melnyk's motivation. They know Melnyk is cutting payroll, so the threat of Ottawa just resigning the player and hanging on to him is not there. That takes one of the useful negotiating tools out of the toolbox.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
i know theodore can play both sides but does vegas typically play 4/6 dmen on their off side
Schmidt, & Theo currently play on their off side. Just swap HanSolo's top, & bottom pairings' sides and you've got nobody playing on their off side, though.

So:
Theo - Schmidt
Brännström - Hague
McNabb - Miller

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He's been great, him arriving in Vegas has elevated everybodies game. When he's comfortable with Turk's system he'll be deadly. Our power play is also looking much better thanks to him, the one assist he has with us is a beaut of a play by him, Karlsson, & Theodore(and is our best PPG this season):

You guys should check out his stick,and how its chopped off square...He said he did this to make sure it stays flat and tight against the boards...Such a unique and wonderful player,Iam really going to miss him

Reactions: derriko

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Question for Vegas/prospect fans:

LVK had 3 first rounders in the 2017 draft

6 - Cody Glass
13 - Nick Suzuki
15 - Erik Brannstrom

When did the perceived value of Brannstrom and Suzuki flip? And which prospect has a higher value right now, Glass or Brannstrom?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Question for Vegas/prospect fans:

LVK had 3 first rounders in the 2017 draft

6 - Cody Glass
13 - Nick Suzuki
15 - Erik Brannstrom

When did the perceived value of Brannstrom and Suzuki flip? And which prospect has a higher value right now, Glass or Brannstrom?
There's no Las in Vegas Golden Knights, so can't be LVK.

IIRC the only reason Suzuki was picked before Branny is that the Flames were higher on Välimäki, & Suzuki than Branny, while VGK really wanted Branny. Branny & Glass have really always been above Suzuki.

Branny has higher value right now than Glass(and he is NHL ready).

E: as for when the general fanbase got higher on Branny than Suzuki(and Glass) is when he started playing in the AHL.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad