Confirmed Trade: [VGK/OTT] Mark Stone, Tobias Lindberg for Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg, and 2020 2nd round pick

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Well brannstrom <<<<< stone

So awful trade as I said.

Well, as it stands right now Vegas won the trade. Saying that, in a game that is becoming smaller and faster, Stone's contract may not look so good in 4-5 years, whereas Brannstrom has the potential to be shining then. Not to defend Dorion, but it was a pretty good trade considering the position he was bargaining from.

Reactions: deflowd

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The reaction to this trade is so ridiculous IMO.

Just because Stone is the best player on the market doesn't mean Dorion has leverage. Teams who weren't willing to start with a big piece like Brannstrom went elsewhere. Getting the big piece is the most important part.

I think Ottawa did well.

Reactions: Lateralous

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Brannstrom was a guaranteed Norris candidate Ottawa would have to add to Stone to get him so I really don't understand your point here.
I had some reservations about this return and some of the responses I got (not here) were along the lines of "well Ottawa basically traded for a top 5 D in the NHL" and I was like...no they didn't?

If a teenager is that much a sure thing (like Dahlin for instance) they don't fall to anywhere near 15th, and to your point, they would never be available.

While he has outstanding potential, I think some people need to pump the breaks just a little bit on Branstrom. He's not there yet.

Reactions: Devonator

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I had some reservations about this return and some of the responses I got (not here) were along the lines of "well Ottawa basically traded for a top 5 D in the NHL" and I was like...no they didn't?

If a teenager is that much a sure thing (like Dahlin for instance) they don't fall to anywhere near 15th, and to your point, they would never be available.

While he has outstanding potential, I think some people need to pump the breaks just a little bit on Branstrom. He's not there yet.

He's probably two to three years away but we'll rush him because that's what our organization does to promising young dmen.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I don't know what dummies you've been talking to.

Brannstrom could play in the NHL today but he easily wouldn't have been better than Schmidt or Theodore. Probably better than Engelland and Holden though. Maybe Colin Miller as well.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know what dummies you've been talking to.

Brannstrom could play in the NHL today but he easily wouldn't have been better than Schmidt or Theodore. Probably better than Engelland and Holden though. Maybe Colin Miller as well.

Mostly Rangers fans who are hitting the "prospects are better than actual current pros" glue really hard because we're rebuilding and it helps them sleep at night.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
The reaction to this trade is so ridiculous IMO.

Just because Stone is the best player on the market doesn't mean Dorion has leverage. Teams who weren't willing to start with a big piece like Brannstrom went elsewhere. Getting the big piece is the most important part.

I think Ottawa did well.
Of course he had leverage. He had a bidding war, you use the other teams in the hunt as your leverage.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Yea it's not a good return at all. You trade one of the best right wingers in the game in the middle of his prime for a good prospect and **** all else

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Mostly Rangers fans who are hitting the "prospects are better than actual current pros" glue really hard because we're rebuilding and it helps them sleep at night.
I mean a solid argument could be made that Branny is a top ten prospect but...past that?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
True but he's really good.

I still really like this for Vegas, though.
Yeah. I'm still taking it hard though. The last time I was this excited for a prospect one of my teams had was John Gibson.

Brannstrom is basically Vatanen with better vision and higher IQ. And harder to knock off the puck when physically challenged.

I do feel like now all of a sudden people are sleeping on Glass though. Dude is a fantastic passer, very smart player, and plays a responsible defensive game. Glad Vegas still has him and didn't have to package him to grab Stone.

Reactions: Machinehead

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
If Branstrom was some guaranteed Norris candidate like many people are saying, he wouldn't have gone 15th less than two years ago.

You of all should know better than to equate draft pedigree from two years ago to that player's current value.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You of all should know better than to equate draft pedigree from two years ago to that player's current value.
I understand that. It's not really about pedigree.

The point I'm making is that players of the ilk that some are ascribing to Branstrom today simply don't go 15th. They go 1st.

More importantly, if he was as good as I've been told, he'd be on Vegas' top pair right now and never would have been traded.

Like I said, I think there's a strong argument that he's the best prospect in the NHL right now, but prospect is the key word.

Absolute can't-misses skip the prospect phase altogether and just step in (McDavid, Dahlin, Matthews)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad