Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Whoa,

I really like this trade for Montreal. And, I guess this means VGK is out on Karlsson, huh?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Suzuki is gonna love it when MTL forces him to play winger.

I'll say this about my viewings of Suzuki that aren't necessarily dispositive of anything. I know he was great in the OHL but any time he was taking time with Vegas, between rookie camps and preseason he just lacked the tenacity and assertiveness to back up his skill. So often he was pushed to the perimeter and would try to make a pass off to someone else instead of pushing the issue alone and half the time it would result in nothing. I'm sure that can improve but of the four Vegas top prospects, I'd have been the least sad to see Suzuki go. He has high upside but to me felt like the least stable bet of the four.

Still feels like an overpay but whatever. Vegas' top 6 offense is really solid now after losing Neal and Perron.

Biggest worry is getting him re-signed to a reasonable deal.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Nice big trade, it looks decent for both teams. Im a little worried how good patches will be, with a bee in his bonnet in a contract year on a better team.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
First thing comes to mind. Damn Vegas got hustled on Tatar. Payed all those high picks, didn't even use him in playoffs and now dump him for cap space

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
In a recent Patch to Avs proposal...
people scoffed and mocked at "Tyson Jost + Connor Timmins + 2020 2nd" for an extended Patch.

THIS isn't much off in value than this deal. show your faces and admit you were wrong on the value of MAX PACIORETTY.
No one was wrong, I'd rather have Skinner for a second and think he's the better player.

Regardless, GMGM doesn't define value anymore than Chiarelli with Larsson for Hall

HC7

May 2, 2018
If I'm a GM I'm phoning McPhee immediately and asking him if he wants to make a trade. I don't even care what the trade is, all I know if he's going to fleece himself.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hate seeing Tatar in Montreal. But I guess he wasn’t a good fit in Vegas. He’s not what Habs need but could score a lot of goals there.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
MTL was patient and ended up getting a decent return in the end. Depending on what Suzuki becomes, this looks fair for both sides.

He is as valuable as Kyrou, Thomas and Frost --- as likely to be successful in the NHL as well.

With Poehling and Kotkaniemi, the Habs could end up with a truly formidable top 9 in 2-3 years, and that is not including the fact that we're likely to draft top 5 this year.

Drouin/Kotkaniemi/Gallagher
Domi/Suzuki/Scherbak
Lehkonen/Poehling/Tatar

With that being said, wish we drafted Zadina or Tkachuk at 3 instead; especially if we end up being able to get Hughes next year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Decent return for MTL considering how the situation seemed to devolve.

They get a very decent prospect, another pick, and if Tatar doesn't regain form with them, they still should be able to get some picks or prospects for him in a few years at the trade deadline.

Tatar was a costly mistake for Vegas. I wonder how things would have shaken out for them had they not dealt for Tatar. Was this Pacioretty deal partially motivated by wanting to find a tolerable way to dump Tatar?

I am guessing this means Vegas is out on Karlsson. How do they give up Glass or BrannstromBran a 1st in a package deal after shedding so many futures since the 2018 TDL?

Reactions: derriko

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Vegas initially gave up three picks for Tatar, so they essentially gave up 1st, two 2nds, a 3rd, and Suzuki for potentially only one year of Pacioretty...they better hope they don’t regress too much this year.

HC7

May 2, 2018
In a recent Patch to Avs proposal...
people scoffed and mocked at "Tyson Jost + Connor Timmins + 2020 2nd" for an extended Patch.

THIS isn't much off in value than this deal. show your faces and admit you were wrong on the value of MAX PACIORETTY.

Jost >>> Tatar
Timmins = Suzuki
2nd = 2nd

Reactions: Brett44

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I love Tommy Tats, I really hope he can put some shit together in Montreal, hopefully being in camp with a team and wanting to prove himself will make his best colors shine.
Montreal getting a prospect like Suzuki is great for them, high end prospect.

Good trade.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad