Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Tatar never really fit with Vegas. He's definitely an okay rebound option and Suzuki is a nice future add. The second is decent compensation though it will be at the bottom of the 2nd round. Solid return for a guy who is more or less a rental coming off a completely average year. Yes, I realize the turmoil of centermen that he played with last season.

Reactions: dukeofjive

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Whoa,

I really like this trade for Montreal. And, I guess this means VGK is out on Karlsson, huh?

For this season yes. I still think they take a big run at him if he hits free agency, but they can't take on Bobby Ryan's deal now.

If Patches is healthy and recovers from playing in that crapfest he was in last year this deal doesn't look so bad. Foolish to invoke what was paid in past deals, what's done is done. Patches can easily put up Perron/Neal type offense or better, but is a much better defensive player and that was what McPhee clearly stated he wanted from this year's team.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Does this mean Jamie Benn is worth a 5th rounder since that is where he was drafted. Hopefully Benning is at least smart enough to make that trade
a few months after getting drafted doesn't drastically change the value of a player.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So a player one year away from UFA can get some good assets in return. AndreRoy told me otherwise, and he’s a f***ing genius after all.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I knew that Vegas wanted to get rid of Tatar, but....Nick Suzuki?
I thought Bergevin was the bad GM here not McPhee, what's going on?!?.

Well....Glass is the better one and Ryan probably is better than Nick
but you don't trade this level of prospect...Nick Suzuki is crazy good!.

I'm really not sure about that. He has the skill to be crazy good but save for skill and speed he's lacking just about everywhere else at least from my viewings of any time he played for Vegas be it preseason or rookie camps/scrimmages/prospect games. Any time I've seen him in that capacity he's always getting pushed the perimeter, usually the left wing along the boards. For a guy that plays center, when he'd suit up for Vegas he sure as hell didn't play like one. I could be wrong about him but to me he seems like a career second liner at best.

And it's not just cause he got traded and he's not Vegas' anymore. If you look through my post history you can see I've been critical of him on numerous occasions.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
It is though. Basically it's Suzuki, Cap dump and a 2nd. If it was Jost + 2nd + Colin Wilson then yeah it'd be a lot more even, but not Timmins AND Jost. Not to mention we're a club hopefully escaping the rebuild so trading our promising youth for an older winger makes no sense for us. That proposal was both poor value and doesn't consider what stage we currently are at as an organization.

the point isn't if it was a smart trade for the avs to make, it was to gauge value. Quite frankly as I repeat the value of the proposed HF deal and the actual deal isn't far off.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
timmins (2nd round pick in 2017) = 2nd round pick in 2019
jost (10th overall in 2016) = suzuki (13th overall in 2017)
2nd = tatar

As I said not much off. And Patch isn't extended here either! User Pierre Lebrun deserves an apology.

Good god this logic is horrific.

Tatar is literally a cap dump. He holds no value at all in this deal. Timmins has only increased his value a tonne since being drafted. Just because he was a 2nd round pick does not in any way mean he's worth a 2nd round pick now.

And again with the Jost and Suzuki comparison. Jost is a legit NHL forward, Suzuki hasn't played a game in the NHL yet. Although they both have similar upside there's significantly more value to be had in Jost with his NHL experience then Suzuki.

Amazing someone could plot out supposed trade value and do such a shit job at it.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Suzuki seems redundant on that team though, and I don’t see him being a C at the NHL level

I don't get why people are saying this; we have Kotkaniemi who is a 1/2C, and Poehling who is looking like a 3C. This isn't redundant, it's guaranteeing we will have Centers in a few years.

And why can't someone who puts up equivalent PPG to Kyrou, Vilardi, Thomas and Frost (the C's of the future apparently) play C at the NHL level again?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
timmins is a 2nd, jost is a recent top 15 pick, suzuki is a recent top 15 pick. Do you know how to gauge values? Jost hasn't done anything special in the NHL to be considered as a significantly better player than suzuki either.

Jost was a top 10 pick and played in the NHL as a 20 year old he was a better prospect than Suzuki at the same age and has only impressed since being drafted.

Timmins definitely has improved his value since he was drafted.

So yes I do know how to gauge values. It is easy to do when you don’t have a point to try and prove or a dog in the fight to try and make look good.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wow :amazed:
I really like Suzuki as a prospect, and adding Tatar and a 2nd is a great return for Montreal, especially considering the circumstances surrounding Pacioretty
He had a great run in Montreal, but a new place might be a good thing

Batrous

May 4, 2016
A good return for Montreal. They get a good winger/ centre prospect in Suzuki who was a former first-round pick. They get Columbus's 2nd round pick which will probably be in the late 40's to early 50's range. They also get a player that can fill in a roster spot so that if their younger players need more development time they don't have to play those players at the NHL level. To top it all off Tatar might be able to bounce back from what was a very tough season in Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad