Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Lol! Great haul by the kings!

Anyone want Dan Hamhuis? Matt Irwin? Yannick Weber?

We will do any of them for just one second rounder folks! Yes that’s right, only one second rounder! Please form a straight line and we will gladly take all offers in a timely manner.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wow why didn't Blake wait till Monday create a bidding war and get a 1st at least. They got more for a rental Toffoli than Martinez with an extra year.

Toffoli is a top 6 forward and Martinez is a bottom 4 defenseman.

Holding out for a few more days to gouge suitors is bad business practice, and if they wait too long, there may not be any takers.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Is there any reason they didn't retain? Cap shouldn't be a concern for a rebuilding team, but it would have added some real value to a team in VGK's position. I'm not super familiar with the Kings ownership, are they concerned about real dollars? If not it seems strange they wouldn't have tried to maximize value.

I'm sure it's just about protecting flexibility.

You can only retain on two contracts, so that opens more options for next season, and since the Kings are already retaining on one contract this year, allows them to make another deal (Forbort, Lewis, etc.) this year where they can retain.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Is there any reason they didn't retain? Cap shouldn't be a concern for a rebuilding team, but it would have added some real value to a team in VGK's position. I'm not super familiar with the Kings ownership, are they concerned about real dollars? If not it seems strange they wouldn't have tried to maximize value.

Probably will retain on Carter IF a deal materializes, if they retained on Martinez, they don't have that option

Reactions: funky

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I dont know about that. NJD have the bones of a good team and could surprise next year.

Somebody has to be bad in that division. The highest point total for an 8th place division finish is 79 (NYI 13-14). The Devils are retooling, if not rebuilding, at this point. It should be them.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Maybe there's a 3rd team that's retaining salary. Nothing official yet.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Toffoli is a top 6 forward and Martinez is a bottom 4 defenseman.

Holding out for a few more days to gouge suitors is bad business practice, and if they wait too long, there may not be any takers.
Actually it's part of the business to maximize your assets return,not bad business to do so.Blake has always been afraid to be a risk taker.Martinez had another year left,no risk and no loss to wait for a better return.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I'm sure it's just about protecting flexibility.

You can only retain on two contracts, so that opens more options for next season, and since the Kings are already retaining on one contract this year, allows them to make another deal (Forbort, Lewis, etc.) this year where they can retain.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Capfriendly says a max of 3 players. So retaining for 2 more months of Clifford shouldn't have mattered unless they have 2 more players in mind to retain on.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Well, my 2020 standard is still Coleman, but okay, I'll take the two 2nds. Just please select good players.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
An abundance of assets isn't a good excuse for cavalier handling of said assets. (See: Nick Suzuki) I know this isn't exactly comparable but it does lend to a tendency that hasn't slowed down at all.

Foley is old generally and Fleury is old hockey age so they aren't going to stop doing this for at least next season before they give it up. Us winning a bad pacific and having a mediocre team that gets to the WCF would only convince them more we are so close. But we aren't so close.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Actually it's part of the business to maximize your assets return,not bad business to do so.Blake has always been afraid to be a risk taker.

Blake has moved out two higher priced pieces that have not put up the greatest numbers this year for (3) second rounders and a prospect that is rated in the top 50 on lots of lists. He has done this without retaining a dime allowing him to retain on another harder to move player should he get the chance. He got his asking price and did not risk injury.

Toffoli is a UFA and can be brought back but with all the bitching about him the last few years time to move on. Marty is / sorry was awesome and has showed major regression to his game this year. I believe it is his reputation that helped land 2 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad