Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It will be interesting to see which picks. Vegas has 5 between this year and next. NJ 2021 looks like it will be high. Vegas 2020 and perhaps 2021 are mid picks. Pittsburgh 2020 and St. Louis 2021 will likely be low.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Gonna miss jazz hands. Great person, overall good player.

All three that participated in the game winning OT goal against the Rangers are gone. This hits home.

tumblr_n757f25i991retk6lo1_500.gifv

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Wow why didn't Blake wait till Monday create a bidding war and get a 1st at least. They got more for a rental Toffoli than Martinez with an extra year.

Because it isn't as easy as "creating a bidding war". With all the trades yesterday, the market for teams looking for LHD became smaller, and the chances that someone pay a 1st for Martinez instead of giving the 2nd+2nd to another team, for another LHD, wasn't worth the risk.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They still have a 1st, 2nd and two 3rds this year that are burning a hole in their pocket right now.
An abundance of assets isn't a good excuse for cavalier handling of said assets. (See: Nick Suzuki) I know this isn't exactly comparable but it does lend to a tendency that hasn't slowed down at all.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Is there any reason they didn't retain? Cap shouldn't be a concern for a rebuilding team, but it would have added some real value to a team in VGK's position. I'm not super familiar with the Kings ownership, are they concerned about real dollars? If not it seems strange they wouldn't have tried to maximize value.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
LA has done very well with second round picks these last couple drafts (Anderson-Dolan, Thomas, Kailyev, Fagemo) all seem to be trending towards top nine players in the NHL. Losing Martinez sucks but he wasn’t in the long term plans for LA.

Reactions: Telos

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Because it isn't as easy as "creating a bidding war". With all the trades yesterday, the market for teams looking for LHD became smaller, and the chances that someone pay a 1st for Martinez instead of giving the 2nd+2nd to another team, for another LHD, wasn't worth the risk.

that’s why armchair GM’s should just stay in their armchairs.

Reactions: Steeler23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad