Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Vegas just called up 2 dmen (and a forward). With Tuch on IR, they're at 23 players and...way over the cap?

Maybe Tuch was re-evaluated and he's expected to be out longer or someone else got traded.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Patience brings great things.

That’s what people who don’t do deals for a living when there are deadlines, depreciating assets and multiple offers involved say. Timing works both ways. When you set a floor and a ceiling and the target is met, you pull the trigger.

You run equal sides of the patience and aggression tracks or you end up with the “I hate always losing,” look on your face.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Actually it's part of the business to maximize your assets return,not bad business to do so.Blake has always been afraid to be a risk taker.Martinez had another year left,no risk and no loss to wait for a better return.

It can be argued that taking risk is bad business. If Blake had waited a week, the offers may've gotten worse, he may've had to retain to make it work or Martinez might've gotten injured. This isn't a bad return. It's a pretty good one. Holding out for one that's even better is a risk that probably isn't worth taking, IMO.

I don't agree that the extra year meant that there was no loss to waiting. If Blake had waited until after the trade deadline, Martinez's value would've dropped because teams would've missed out on having him for this playoffs. The chance of getting a 2nd rounder in this year's draft probably would've also dropped, for that reason, and this is supposed to be a deep draft. A 2nd in this year's draft is more valuable than an ordinary 2nd. Finally, waiting like that, especially until after the draft, would've meant that the picks received would've been from 2021 at the earliest. Picking in 2020 instead of 2021 hurries up the rebuild ever so slightly.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think your expectations is a bit high especially with the Kings not retaining on Martinez, which leaves Vegas to fight the salary cap on their own.

i think that is part of why this deal underwhelms me. I was hoping LA would maximize the return by retaining on Martniez. If they were doing this it would be more than 2 2nds.
Without retention this is perfectly fair.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
i think that is part of why this deal underwhelms me. I was hoping LA would maximize the return by retaining on Martniez. If they were doing this it would be more than 2 2nds.
Without retention this is perfectly fair.
You have to think either Vegas didnt want retention to keep the cost down, or he may have another deal lined up to retain on someone else. Who knows.

I have a hard time believing Vegas wanted LA to retain and Blake just flat out said no, and has no plans to retain on someone else.

Reactions: YP44

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That’s what people who don’t do deals for a living when there are deadlines, depreciating assets and multiple offers involved say. Timing works both ways. When you set a floor and a ceiling and the target is met, you pull the trigger.

You run equal sides of the patience and aggression tracks or you end up with the “I hate always losing,” look on your face.

You know how many times of I've shot myself in the foot waiting out for a "better deal" it's frustrating as hell.

Reactions: AzKing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->