Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Doesn't this trade put Vegas way over the Salary Cap? I thought they were up against the Cap to begin with.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Doesn't this trade put Vegas way over the Salary Cap? I thought they were up against the Cap to begin with.
They called up Whitecloud, Roy, Schuldt and put Tuch on LTIR, then did the trade, so no. It'll be a cap problem when Tuch is back as he's projected to be back before RS ends, if no more trade has been made by then.

Reactions: GRob83

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
So all that maneuvering to sign this guy, LTIR, all these AHL call ups and 2 2nds. Yet Gusev wasn’t worth any of this trouble and only a 2nd and 3rd?

And for basically the exact same money and term you could have had a 3rd line of Gusev-Glass-Tuch. If Gusev has 33 points in NJ I think he is solidly in the 40’s now in Vegas. And he is what 5-6 years younger than Martinez?

When you consider all Vegas had to do in the off-season was move Eakin, something easy to do at the time considering his performance last year, they could have Gusev and Martinez now.

So I don’t consider Vegas winning this move when context shows they could have done better.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
So all that maneuvering to sign this guy, LTIR, all these AHL call ups and 2 2nds. Yet Gusev wasn’t worth any of this trouble and only a 2nd and 3rd?

And for basically the exact same money and term you could have had a 3rd line of Gusev-Glass-Tuch. If Gusev has 33 points in NJ I think he is solidly in the 40’s now in Vegas. And he is what 5-6 years younger than Martinez?

When you consider all Vegas had to do in the off-season was move Eakin, something easy to do at the time considering his performance last year, they could have Gusev and Martinez now.

So I don’t consider Vegas winning this move when context shows they could have done better.
They have been after Martinez for a long time. they got their guy. Good trade for both teams

Reactions: apadilla

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huh. Really thought he'd be the guy to fetch a 1st for them. A pair of 2nds isn't anything to scoff at though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Guy will be solid in the playoffs. He is still a very good hockey player .
I never like admitting my appreciation for rival players but I've always felt Martinez was underappreciated leaguewide. Was happy to pick him up. Thought he was exactly what we needed. Extending Holden on the other hand? Not so much.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
And yet Kings are doing very well since Marty left. Sometimes the shelf life expires and it is best for both sides to start fresh, hope he has continued success.

LA's winning streak isn't related to Martinez being traded. It's just a combination of relaxed nerves since the trade deadline, having nothing to lose or look ahead to and opponents coasting down the stretch to conserve energy and health while waiting for the playoffs (not to mention already being banged up, like the Avs last night). If they had kept Martinez, he would've been enjoying this little run with them. Eventually, though, it'll wear off and they'll start to miss his stability and leadership.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad