Confirmed Trade: [VGK/LAK] Alec Martinez for 2020 and STL 2021 2nd round picks

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Vegas doesn't have 1.5m in cap space. The 3.995m mentionned is factoring that percentage. In reality, if this was October, they actually have roughly 900k of cap space.

Are you saying we may have to eat some salary? Pass the ketchup!!!

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Those don't matter. Martinez's cap hit will be only the percentage of what's left in the season, so like 1.5 mill maybe ?

Martinez has a little under 1m remaining. Vegas has a little under 864k under the cap as of today with 20 players.

Maybe the extra day of cap savings gives them enough of a bump to fit his remaining cap.

They can play Merrill or Engelland at forward in case of injury, but they probably need to dump cap by the deadline to get Glass/Hague/Whitecloud back up after the deadline.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
After winning the cup these next 3 years, they'll trade Patches in his final year for 2 1sts to recoup the losses from the 'Tomas Tatar affair'

You gotta break a few omelets to make a cake. They did create a whole new 1st line, after all.

That's a funny take.:laugh:

Reactions: Morrison

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
If the return is only a couple of 2nds, I don't see why the Kings feel the need to deal him.

I mean *somebody* has to play defense. You can't just throw up half a dozen minor-leaguers and call it a day... and Martinez has another year left.

What are the Kings gonna do with *another* couple of 2nd round picks?

Reactions: deaderhead28

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If the return is only a couple of 2nds, I don't see why the Kings feel the need to deal him.

I mean *somebody* has to play defense. You can't just throw up half a dozen minor-leaguers and call it a day... and Martinez has another year left.

Maybe another Arthur Kaliyev, Samuel Fagemo, Akil Thomas, Jaret Anderson Dolan, Kale Clague or Erik Cernak... We do ok with 2nd round picks I think

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Maybe another Arthur Kaliyev, Samuel f*gemo, Akil Thomas, Jaret Anderson Dolan, Kale Clague or Erik Cernak... We do ok with 2nd round picks I think

You just listed a bunch of names that have never played a single NHL game (or <10 ineffective games), plus a guy we gave to Tampa Bay for free out of the goodness of Dean Lombardi's heart.

That's not exactly helpful.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

We will see what the kings do. Maybe they can use the picks to move up in the draft, maybe they draft a gem.

I get your point and I am in the middle ground here. LA has the top prospect system ranked by a lot of different sites. So is a draft pick that may play in 3-4 years (if at all) really something they need? Blake has done a good job sending out vets or UFAs who are not likely to be valuable come the next window of competitiveness but I would like to see NHL ready prospects coming back as opposed to picks. For example the Toffoli deal is a fair deal, IMO though LA has a lot of middle 6 forward prospects which Madden looks like he could be. I would have preferred Juolevi as I think he could play for LA now and make the team better immediately not 3-4 years like Madden and the 2nd.

At the end of the day Blake dealing for picks will get us kings fans more lottery tickets, and the chance to move up in the draft. Time will tell if it is right.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

Package a couple picks/prospects for immediate help. Teams are going to need to cut salary the next couple off seasons and the Kings may be able to get a decent player or 2.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
You just listed a bunch of names that have never played a single NHL game (or <10 ineffective games), plus a guy we gave to Tampa Bay for free out of the goodness of Dean Lombardi's heart.

Cernak is a top 4 Damn on the TBL...
Clague got his cup of coffee and did extremely well
JAD has gotten time the last 2 seasons and has looked like our future 3C
The other 3 were drafted the 2 seasons so they'll likely get a look over the next 2 seasons..
As for somebody having to play defense, well we still have Doughty, Walker, Roy, Hutton, Ryan, Forbort, MacD the Goon and Bjornfot, Anderson, Brickley, Clague and LaDue in Ontario that can come up at any time! So try again

Reactions: go4hockey

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood

Did he have to mention every player drafted more than 5 years ago?

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Continue rebuilding?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad