Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Knights re-sign William Karlsson [1 year/$5.25M]

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great move by Vegas. You don't want to commit huge money long-term to this guy right now. Let's see what he does next year first.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Glad it's a one year prove it isn't a fluke deal.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Last three years wilson was at 19 points, 23 points and 35, karlsson was 20 points, 25 points and then 78

Now am i saying wilson> karlsson? Of course not but people are acting like hes proven he can do this every year when last year he was basically a tom wilson

Karlsson would easily score 60+ points this upcoming season with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin as linemates. Unlike Wilson, there is actual talent there in Karlsson which was apparent this past season. You can't fluke your hockey IQ and vision

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This contract keeps him hungry and if he does really well again he should get paid.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really don't see how it's a good deal for Karlsson.

It's a one year contract and he's an RFA at the end. He basically obligated himself to outperform what was an incredibly outstanding season.
At which point he can make even more money than he was asking for if he does.

I said good. Not ideal. If Vegas was dumb he could have leveraged a long term 6.5 million dollar contract and that would've been his ticket to play however well he felt like. Considering he only got 1 m less than his ask in an arbitration, he didn't really get f***ed. The best thing for his career really is to be forced like that to have to earn what he wants through performance so that even if it was a bit of a fluke, maybe going all out for a great contract will give him that baseline performance that can guide him to a consistently good career.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Last three years wilson was at 19 points, 23 points and 35, karlsson was 20 points, 25 points and then 78

Now am i saying wilson> karlsson? Of course not but people are acting like hes proven he can do this every year when last year he was basically a tom wilson
I think the consensus has actually been the opposite, where have you seen this?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
At which point he can make even more money than he was asking for if he does.

I said good. Not ideal. If Vegas was dumb he could have leveraged a long term 6.5 million dollar contract and that would've been his ticket to play however well he felt like. Considering he only got 1 m less than his ask in an arbitration, he didn't really get ****ed. The best thing for his career really is to be forced like that to have to earn what he wants through performance so that even if it was a bit of a fluke, maybe going all out for a great contract will give him that baseline performance that can guide him to a consistently good career.

I mean, I'd be happy to make 5.25 million for a year of my life...but from a players' perspective, it's a lot of pressure, and a tough expectation, to outperform what was (right now) a huge statistical outlier.

Not saying he can't do it, and not saying I am not looking forward to seeing if he can meet that challenge. It's just a deal heavily in Vegas's favor right now, IMO.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Karlsson scored more goals last season than Wilson has in his near 400 game career.

One player is being paid for what he might be able to do, the other is being paid based on if he can do what he already has done again.

Reactions: Supermassive

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Karlsson would easily score 60+ points this upcoming season with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin as linemates. Unlike Wilson, there is actual talent there in Karlsson which was apparent this past season. You can't fluke your hockey IQ and vision

Exactly....It's a joke that they make similar money

Wilson cashed in on 2 months of good work. He would be a single digit scorer if they swap place

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Karlsson scored more goals last season than Wilson has in his near 400 game career.

One player is being paid for what he might be able to do, the other is being paid based on if he can do what he already has done again.

Wilson was paid for the playoff success. without that his contract would have been some thing like 3 yrs/2.5M

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I like it for both sides. Karlsson will be in the driver's seat this time next year when he is looking for a new deal.

For VGK they get a player hungry to repeat his great numbers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wilson was paid for the playoff success. without that his contract would have been some thing like 3 yrs/2.5M

It's a bit baffling that 20 games of a good, not great PO's (ok maybe great by WIlson's previous standards) will skew an RFA's total contract value of nearly 5x.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
More Tom Wilson comparisons. Angry fans just can't get Big Tom out of their heads.

You sound angry more than anything.

Get use to it. Tom Wilson set the standard for bad contract so it's natural to compare.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Pretty fair. Time for him to prove himself. More likely he falls back to 20 goals and 50 pts or something like that.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Well, he got the worst contract in the history in the NHL for a PPG player.
All this horse**** about not performing before is just that. Which other player in the NHL has ever not got paid when having a great season?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Think the Knights carry a bit more risk here than Karlsson does. If he repeats the kind of numbers he did last year or even close to them he could be in line for a big raise. Personally a big believer in him so I would of bridged him at maybe a little more for 3 or 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad