Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Knights re-sign William Karlsson [1 year/$5.25M]

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Another 35 goal season as a center and Vegas is kill.

Talking about 10mil+ AAV next summer.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He won't get that either. I would see 8 ish if he can flirt with 40 again.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
in 102 gp last year he had 93 pts and 50 goals. finished 6th in selke voting (actually had more 1st place votes than Koivu at 5). I don't think he can replicate this season but he definitely has the skillset and is a tenacious 55-60 2 way player. i think playing with marchessault and smith will keep his floor high with the chemistry they have.

here's his shot/goal heatmap for those interested btw

Fantastic graphics but they're incomplete... Your goal demographic accounts for 76% of his totals...

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
It's a dangerous game for Vegas. If he repeats a 40 goal season, he'll likely look for other teams after that lowball offer.

Torspo500

Jul 2, 2018
Flukeyear ? Flukedecade? How long is a fluke? If someone scores like that for a full season + playoffs it is hardly a fluke...scoring two or three hattricks in a week is a fluke or a hotstreak. Lets not forget who he is playing with, two really really good linemates in Reilly Smith and Marchessault. He will score 30-40 goals again and cash in next summer.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I would have taken any 5+ year deal Vegas offered me if I was him. There's no reason to do this deal. If Vegas offered a 5X5, I would have signed the line. He could have just lost himself 20+ million dollars if he falls back to earth next year. He likely doesn't gain himself much money either.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A great breakthrough season for him - if he only performed better for CBJ, but he had the chance with a new team to play with their top players which obviously help him in his career, and it will be interesting if William can get close next season. However I don`t expect him to follow up the last season at all, and more likely he will end up around 60 pts. so both the franchise and him should be happy with the contract. But again Vegas is probably unsure how William will respond so a 1 year contract length in this specific situation sounds very reasonable.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I would have taken any 5+ year deal Vegas offered me if I was him. There's no reason to do this deal. If Vegas offered a 5X5, I would have signed the line. He could have just lost himself 20+ million dollars if he falls back to earth next year. He likely doesn't gain himself much money either.
A 40 plus goal Centerman...point a game ...on the open market? You wouldn't bet on yourself ? I would! He gonna get paid large!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Smart move by Karlsson, if he has another big year this season, he may cash in as a UFA.

So is this a stupid move (term) from the management?

My contract Term formula gives a number, that 1-year 5.25M valued Karlsson would have got 6.63M with a 6-year deal. (2x RFA years, 4x UFA years)

If he does have another good season, I think he doesn't have to duplicate this great season, just have another good one and his next 7-year deal with only 1 RFA year could go easily to 7.5M. It's made one year later, so there's a caphit inflation and also 6 UFA years.

If he plays another strong season, then I don't know what would happen. His point scoring would be at the level of Tavares, Gaudreau, Panarin and Benn class.

You would have got him with 6.63M bargain for 6 years. But with more risk.

Now, with less risk, you'll get him 5.25M for 1 year on team without any cap problems, and will have to pay many times more afterwards, if he's still good.

Going straight long-term, this 5.25M caphit for first year would have dragged the long-term caphit down, when you have to pay bigger salaries nearer on the end.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Wilson never had higher than 7 before this year where he jumped to 14... Karlsson jumper to 43. A slight difference.
Which seems more substainable?
A 7 point jump in goals or a 37 goal jump?

At the beginning of the season teams treated LV as a probable easy win so underestimated. Next year those castoffs will see a lot more pressure from game 1 on.
A good move by McPhee to see how he handles the rougher going.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Wilson never had higher than 7 before this year where he jumped to 14... Karlsson jumper to 43. A slight difference.

At the beginning of the season teams treated LV as a probable easy win so underestimated. Next year those castoffs will see a lot more pressure from game 1 on.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

This isn't even talking about sustainable. A guy who scored 43 goals just got paid as much as a guy who scored 14.

Also amazing people still use the "teams will pay more attention to Vegas" excuse as if playoff teams thought they'd be an easy win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad