Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Good for both teams... Vegas is going for the Cup right now, and Tatar is an additional piece to the core.

Jan 21, 2018
I don't think Tatar is that good to deserve that package but then again I don't think Perron, Smith, Haula etc are that good and they are lighting it up.

If Tatar starts putting up those same kind of numbers then it's a very good deal for Vegas.

And I'm not going to judge Vegas for any move they make this season, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Alfredo Garcia

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
sucks to see a divisional foe get some good pieces for the rebuild, but then again, this trade really ups the ante on the value of a player like gallagher should the habs GM, hopefully, a new one decide to trade him...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I thought Tartar would be a buyout candidate. Especially at that salary and term. :huh:
giphy.gif

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think anyone is claiming GMGM is a god. However, the management team for the Knights has done a great job with the expansion and he's the one that gets the credit. I don't think Erat has a thing to do with what's happening in Las Vegas, and if that's the kind of baggage people can't get over, that's on them as far as I'm concerned.

I'm willing to give GMGM a shot and the vast majority of the credit for what's happening, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that Tatar was the guy they wanted on the ice and in the dressing room versus a Kane or one of the other players he "should" have gotten. The 1st doesn't mean much to me, because we'll still average 1.5 1st rounders in the 2017 and 2018 draft, and that came from nothing. We were given two 1st rounders in these two drafts just for existing, GMGM traded one away, and we'll still have three total over these two years. We gave up our later than expected 2018 1st for Tatar, and will still have more 1st rounders on contract in September of 2018 than most would have hoped for. That's without even touching on the three 2nd rounders in 2017/2018, or the five additional second rounders we'll have in the 19/20 drafts, even after overpaying for Tatar.

And that comes from someone that's been following hockey for a damn sight longer than a year, though I think it's awesome how you keep bringing that up with Vegas fans.

I've seen a lot of people on Twitter claiming GMGM is god or a genius and one of them is the beat writer for the sun just for getting Reaves who really won't be playing now. I'll bet that there will be even more gushing from the locals for acquiring Tartar on Twitter.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've seen a lot of people on Twitter claiming GMGM is god or a genius and one of them is the beat writer for the sun just for getting Reaves who really won't be playing now. I'll bet that there will be even more gushing from the locals for acquiring Tartar on Twitter.
They probably gushed when they announced the expansion picks too. They gush at everything, and why wouldn't they? The Golden Knights are leading the Pacific by double digit points in late February in the inaugural season.

The only thing that hasn't been gushed over thus far is the team name.

Give it a few years, I'm sure we'll all be as jaded and angry as every other fanbase.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Sure it is a lot, but this is not a gross overpayment. We are talking about basically the 31st pick and two futures for a guy on contract for three years that consistently gets 20 goals a year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You have to excuse most Vegas fans as this is their first year following hockey and think GMGM is a god and don't know that he has never filled a need for his team at the trade deadline.

Tatar will help the team, but other better wingers were traded for less and winger depth is the knights strength. 3C is a huge need and the D could have used an upgrade if they were willing to spend this much. So GMGM keeps his rep as a dumb GM at the trade deadline. The knights would have been better off with stastny, Brassard, or even Grabner if they wanted a winger or a dman. While other teams filled needs, GMGM didn't. I've followed the caps as I run a nats site and talk to a lot of caps fans so I know how overrated GMGM is right now. I thought maybe he would have learned something after getting fired from dc, but he's still making trades that doesn't address real team needs. I've been a hockey fan for 21 years and so many people I meet here have been fans for only a few months and they have no idea how bad GMGM is and they think he's a god. I guess it's going to be like this for a few years until people learn the business of hockey here.

Don't worry, the novelty will soon be gone. GMBM is arrogant and stubborn and thinks he's smarter than everyone. His act grows real tiresome real quickly.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
You disliked Tatar more than Ericsson, DDK or Gator etc.

i dislike their contracts a lot, but i dont necessarily dislike them. Sure most of them suck, but they dont frustrate me to the extent that Tatar does. I hate having the play stop all the time and tatar goes offsides 1000 x a game. Every time he attempts to dangle he coughs up the puck. He has an annoying skating stride.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Why is this considered what a haul for a guy with a 5.3 caphit and yet the Brassard trade a failure.

1st, 3rd, recent 2nd rounder for 1.3 years of Brassard seems to be a steal compared to what Holland did here. Seems to be a lot of narrative going on and a little bit less thinking.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Don't worry, the novelty will soon be gone. GMBM is arrogant and stubborn and thinks he's smarter than everyone. His act grows real tiresome real quickly.

People in the VGK section have blind loyalty towards him or are willing to give him a chance since he hasn't pulled an Erat here yet.

I think this trade makes the team marginally better and vastly overpaid for a 3rd line winger with term and is no replacement for Neal or Perron if they are not extended.

But there's lots of people here including the local media that worship the ground he walks on. One beat writer called him a genius for picking up Ryan Reaves. That's how stupid some are here.

My beef with him is that bigger needs weren't addressed and he overpaid for a player that will be a slight upgrade to the 3rd line or was possibly not needed at all as I need of the call ups showed a lot of promise in just two games. But you know how GMGM is. He gotta get a veteran and overpay for it. It's not bad on the level of the Erat trade, but this trade was not needed at all and the team really needs to keep as many picks as possible to build up the farm system. I was expecting a 3c or dman or even standing pat. But to upgrade a position that didn't need upgrading doesn't make sense especially when he overpaid. I shouldn't be surprised, but I read all of these other locals having so much love and hope for the guy and I started to think maybe he learned his lesson, but trading for Reaves and now Tartar shows me he's the same idiot because other GMs are addressing needs making their teams significantly more dangerous in the playoffs while GMGM would have been better off standing pat this past week than making two unnecessary trades.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
i dislike their contracts a lot, but i dont necessarily dislike them. Sure most of them suck, but they dont frustrate me to the extent that Tatar does. I hate having the play stop all the time and tatar goes offsides 1000 x a game. Every time he attempts to dangle he coughs up the puck. He has an annoying skating stride.

Ericsson is one of the most frustrating defensemen to watch on the Wings has been for years. He reacts at a tortoise like pace in everything his does. He has size but doesn't use it. He is much worse than Tatar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad