Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's still a bit of a surprise. GMGM has had a golden run so I'm not going to second guess him but I have to wonder if the owner pressured him to go for it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
People in the VGK section have blind loyalty towards him or are willing to give him a chance since he hasn't pulled an Erat here yet.

I think this trade makes the team marginally better and vastly overpaid for a 3rd line winger with term and is no replacement for Neal or Perron if they are not extended.

I think Tatar is a really good Perron replacement. Ya Perron is having a great career year right now, but so is that whole team. Outside of this one fluke season I think Tatar has probably actually been better tahn Perron, and if not, at least comparable. Youre gonna get 40-50 points at least, but more goals from Tatar

Reactions: PensandCaps

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Its certainly a contract i would be sick about on my team...

Im sure we can find other contracts just as bad... and yes id be sick about them on my team too

The matt belesky trade made me sick

Pointing out that there are other bad contracts doesnt make contract good.

Teams will continue to buyout many deals every year because there continues to be multiple bad contracts out there
What? It's the going rate. 5 million gets you a 25 goal scorer. Anything less than that they are either A. On a rookie contract or B. Took a pay cut for longer term or home town discount.

Marleau makes 6.25 million. Skinner 5.725, Nash 7.8 (Lol), Huberdeau 5.9, Hoffman 5.2, T. Johnson 5 mil, Nug 6 mil, Saad 6 mil. etc

The list goes on and on. Those are some names who will score 20-25 this year at this rate. Yes, some are center men or better players overall than Tatar, but in terms of GOAL scoring, pretty damn similar. Because that's what Tatar is, a GOAL scorer.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What? It's the going rate. 5 million gets you a 25 goal scorer. Anything less than that they are either A. On a rookie contract or B. Took a pay cut for longer term or home town discount.

Marleau makes 6.25 million. Skinner 5.725, Nash 7.8 (Lol), Huberdeau 5.9, Hoffman 5.2, T. Johnson 5 mil, Nug 6 mil, Saad 6 mil. etc

The list goes on and on. Those are some names who will score 20-25 this year at this rate. Yes, some are center men or better players overall than Tatar, but in terms of GOAL scoring, pretty damn similar. Because that's what Tatar is, a GOAL scorer.

Obviously he got paid... and now he got traded... so at least 2 teams agree his contract is ok.

Im glad my team isnt paying him our cap money

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Couldn't Green still be traded, but he just can't play in the playoffs? If so, the Oilers should still be interested, and they aren't making the playoffs, but if they can extend him he'd be a great fit as a top-4 Dman and PP QB. But maybe I'm wrong about trades after the deadline and it's the rules for something else like waivers, I'm not sure.

TDL isn't really a deadline for trades. Its the deadline for teams to set their 90 man reserve list.

I suspect Holland will will circle back and try to re-sign him. Both sides seemed to open to it throughout the year.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These are all the picks Detroit has for 2018 draft.

DET 1st, ~9th overall (so far, could get higher)
VGK 1st, ~24-27th overall (can't believe they could win 2 playoff rounds)
OTT 2nd, ~34th overall (from Smith-trade)
DET 2nd, ~40th overall
DET 3rd, ~71st overall
PHI 3rd, ~85th overall (if Mrazek wins 5 regular season games and Flyers hit the playoffs)
PIT 3rd, ~90th-93rd overall (from Sheahan-trade)
DET 4th, ~102nd overall
MTL, 6th ~160th overall (from Ott-trade)
DET 6th, ~164th overall
DET 7th, ~195th overall (pick comes back from Tom McCollum trade, because conditions (15 NHL starts for CGY) were not met)

Also 2 extra picks for 2019 + all own. And that one extra for 2021.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems a little premature for Vegas to be doing these things. But they've been good at manufacturing assets and with a well performing roster they could always turn things into more assets later.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tatar is an awesome player. Will be a fan favorite in Vegas no doubt. When William Karlsson falls down to earth Tats will pick up the slack.

I always liked Tatar but also always had a feeling he’d go elsewhere. Glad to see him land in Vegas where I can root for him 100%.

The return is very good for Detroit but I think Vegas felt the late pick this year wasn’t as valuable as getting a reliable 20+ scorer for long-term. And really, Tatar could easily score 30+ if he gets going in Vegas’ system.

Reactions: ehhedler

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
vegas touch and tatar will play like its team europe

42-51 93 points next season

Vegas underpaid once again

Reactions: Fixxer

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ericsson is one of the most frustrating defensemen to watch on the Wings has been for years. He reacts at a tortoise like pace in everything his does. He has size but doesn't use it. He is much worse than Tatar.

I remember when Lidström heaped some big praise over Ericsson. Good times.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He scores 20-30 every year, has term thru his prime (27-30 years old). Love the move for Vegas. Late 1st this year, 2nd next year and 3rd in 2021. Its a good move for both teams. Detroit wanted to shed some money and Vegas got a top 6 scorer with term. Vegas need some goals if their top guys drop off a little which is likely, smart move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
People are a bit out of touch with player value. This is the price of a 20 - 25 goal scoring forward signed long term. It's not like the picks are high considering how good Vegas is. I think they can afford to give up a few picks considering how many they stockpiled from the expansion draft.

For some reason, certain people just cannot process how much less the future second and third rounders are worth. A 3rd rounder three years from now is basically nothing. A 2nd rounder next year does not equal a 2nd rounder this June. The 1st rounder is a pick you would HOPE to find a guy like Tatar, and Vegas could afford to absorb the hit anyways. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seems a little premature for Vegas to be doing these things. But they've been good at manufacturing assets and with a well performing roster they could always turn things into more assets later.

This might be the best Vegas team ever has. They are smart to go for it now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Still don't get this for Vegas, this is their 1st season, they've had 1 draft and now traded away 3 picks, giving them 1 pick in the 1sr 3 rounds this year( a 2nd).

They have very few players locked up on longterm deals, feems like a rushed move.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
any doubts in VGK in signing guys like Neal or Perron who are UFAs? Maybe the acquisition of Tatar to mitigate some of this.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Still don't get this for Vegas, this is their 1st season, they've had 1 draft and now traded away 3 picks, giving them 1 pick in the 1sr 3 rounds this year( a 2nd).

They have very few players locked up on longterm deals, feems like a rushed move.

They just made 3 first round picks last year, and this pick would've been around 30th overall. They made 5 picks in the first 62, so they've got their prospect pool for now.

More importantly, they can't just ignore the fact that they are playing lights out this year. You mention they don't have a lot of players locked up. That's exactly why they needed to do something. The move is great IMO because it recognizes that they have an actual real shot this year, but they didn't go insane making all kinds of deals.

The incredibly late 1st is the vast majority of what they gave up here, a pick that could easily bust and not help them anyways. Tatar helps them now as they sit in 2nd place in the entire league. Not a bad move I don't think. If they made one or two moves like it, I'd criticize.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They just made 3 first round picks last year, and this pick would've been around 30th overall. They made 5 picks in the first 62, so they've got their prospect pool for now.

More importantly, they can't just ignore the fact that they are playing lights out this year. You mention they don't have a lot of players locked up. That's exactly why they needed to do something. The move is great IMO because it recognizes that they have an actual real shot this year, but they didn't go insane making all kinds of deals.

The incredibly late 1st is the vast majority of what they gave up here, a pick that could easily bust and not help them anyways. Tatar helps them now as they sit in 2nd place in the entire league. Not a bad move I don't think. If they made one or two moves like it, I'd criticize.

You can't rely on 1 draft, that'a really big risk in a cap world.

Team on it's 1st year shouldn't be in all in mode, to hell with the future.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

Awfully risky indeed. They don't have much chance for sustained elite level rosters for the next few years so maybe it is worth a shot trying to win it all with your best team?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

They're not all in. They made one deal. Pretend they made one of their picks last year this year instead. Whatever makes sense I guess. You can't be in second place in the league and just ignore the fact that you could legitimately win the Cup. To worry about a 30th overall pick when you're in that situation is a huge mistake. No one cares about 5 years from now when the Cup is a possibility. Even a deep run would be a coup for a team in their unique situation.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like this from both teams' perspective.

Red Wings get more dice for their roll in a rebuild.
Vegas gets a legitimate 25 goal scorer in the prime of his career.

To add, which I haven't seen mentioned at all; Neal and Perron are both free agents for Vegas next year. If they don't bring both back, that's 50+ goals a season they let walk out the door. This gives them cap control on a player who could fill in at least one of those shoes (Neal, most likely). If they bring both guys back, then they simply added more fire power to an already ridiculously solid top 9.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
There seems to be alot of people that think a 30th-ish overall pick will get you a 1-10ish overall player. Nope, that pick they would hope to get a guy like Tatar is RIGHT NOW, now to mention he still might have a little upside left to discover.

What they did was went out and got the sureshot player, that is going to help be the young core of their future. It's not like they've traded for a veteran who will be declining more each year.

People said Vegas were a fluke and would come down to Earth by the halfway mark, but yet they are still going strong. We have to realize that they did a great job at picking their players, and have a strong team. They are not the team we thought they would be where they need to sit on EVERY draft pick and wait for years before they are a worthy team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->