Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
lol what an overpayment!! Vegas didn't even need to do a damn thing at the deadline. They are atop of the West as an expansion team ffs lmao. That 2019 pick is gonna sting when the Knights fall back down to earth next season.

They don't need to do a damn thing...but they're overachieving and due to fall back down to earth?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The NHL pick order is extremely convoluted and bases off of previous years as well as current

Here's the Wiki Entry:

Not sure what you were trying to say, but the NHL pick order is solely based on the current season, not any previous seasons.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Green is still available.

Yeah I guess. Also what I think they really should of done is stay put. They are a playoff lock and I don’t see Tatar changing it in either direction. They should of either stay out or went after a younger D who they could have around for a while. Trading picks this young into the franchise start up might be costly later on

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Really? You trust the guy who traded Forsberg for Erat?

You have to excuse most Vegas fans as this is their first year following hockey and think GMGM is a god and don't know that he has never filled a need for his team at the trade deadline.

Tatar will help the team, but other better wingers were traded for less and winger depth is the knights strength. 3C is a huge need and the D could have used an upgrade if they were willing to spend this much. So GMGM keeps his rep as a dumb GM at the trade deadline. The knights would have been better off with stastny, Brassard, or even Grabner if they wanted a winger or a dman. While other teams filled needs, GMGM didn't. I've followed the caps as I run a nats site and talk to a lot of caps fans so I know how overrated GMGM is right now. I thought maybe he would have learned something after getting fired from dc, but he's still making trades that doesn't address real team needs. I've been a hockey fan for 21 years and so many people I meet here have been fans for only a few months and they have no idea how bad GMGM is and they think he's a god. I guess it's going to be like this for a few years until people learn the business of hockey here.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I like it for both teams.
It’s gonna be weird as hell seeing Tatar in a Vegas jersey.
Also, Tatar likes to party so expect a slow start out of him lol

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Green is still available.

Its 5:40. I think its a little late. Normally, there's trades petering through after the deadline due to sheer volume and apparently only one working fax machine in the NHL offices, but usually we get a final TDL tally around 5.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's that part of the season that's Tommy Tat's turn up time too. Maybe not blow know he's on a contender

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You have to excuse most Vegas fans as this is their first year following hockey and think GMGM is a god and don't know that he has never filled a need for his team at the trade deadline.

Tatar will help the team, but other better wingers were traded for less and winger depth is the knights strength. 3C is a huge need and the D could have used an upgrade if they were willing to spend this much. So GMGM keeps his rep as a dumb GM at the trade deadline. The knights would have been better off with stastny, Brassard, or even Grabner if they wanted a winger or a dman. While other teams filled needs, GMGM didn't. I've followed the caps as I run a nats site and talk to a lot of caps fans so I know how overrated GMGM is right now. I thought maybe he would have learned something after getting fired from dc, but he's still making trades that doesn't address real team needs. I've been a hockey fan for 21 years and so many people I meet here have been fans for only a few months and they have no idea how bad GMGM is and they think he's a god. I guess it's going to be like this for a few years until people learn the business of hockey here.
I don't think anyone is claiming GMGM is a god. However, the management team for the Knights has done a great job with the expansion and he's the one that gets the credit. I don't think Erat has a thing to do with what's happening in Las Vegas, and if that's the kind of baggage people can't get over, that's on them as far as I'm concerned.

I'm willing to give GMGM a shot and the vast majority of the credit for what's happening, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that Tatar was the guy they wanted on the ice and in the dressing room versus a Kane or one of the other players he "should" have gotten. The 1st doesn't mean much to me, because we'll still average 1.5 1st rounders in the 2017 and 2018 draft, and that came from nothing. We were given two 1st rounders in these two drafts just for existing, GMGM traded one away, and we'll still have three total over these two years. We gave up our later than expected 2018 1st for Tatar, and will still have more 1st rounders on contract in September of 2018 than most would have hoped for. That's without even touching on the three 2nd rounders in 2017/2018, or the five additional second rounders we'll have in the 19/20 drafts, even after overpaying for Tatar.

And that comes from someone that's been following hockey for a damn sight longer than a year, though I think it's awesome how you keep bringing that up with Vegas fans.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I don't think anyone is claiming GMGM is a god. However, the management team for the Knights has done a great job with the expansion and he's the one that gets the credit. I don't think Erat has a thing to do with what's happening in Las Vegas, and if that's the kind of baggage people can't get over, that's on them as far as I'm concerned.

I'm willing to give GMGM a shot and the vast majority of the credit for what's happening, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that Tatar was the guy they wanted on the ice and in the dressing room versus a Kane or one of the other players he "should" have gotten. The 1st doesn't mean much to me, because we'll still average 1.5 1st rounders in the 2017 and 2018 draft, and that came from nothing. We were given two 2st rounders in these two drafts just for existing, GMGM traded one away, and we'll still have three total over these two years. We gave up our later than expected 2018 1st for Tatar, and will still have more 1st rounders on contract in September of 2018 than most would have hoped for. That's without even touching on the three 2nd rounders in 2017/2018, or the five additional second rounders we'll have in the 19/20 drafts, even after overpaying for Tatar.

And that comes from someone that's been following hockey for a damn sight longer than a year, though I think it's awesome how you keep bringing that up with Vegas fans.
As a long time Wings fan (95) I agree , if im a Vegas fan i let this one digest for a while before passing judgment.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
lol what an overpayment!! Vegas didn't even need to do a damn thing at the deadline. They are atop of the West as an expansion team ffs lmao. That 2019 pick is gonna sting when the Knights fall back down to earth next season.

No it won't, they'll still have a 1st, two seconds and three thirds next year and we just drafted three 1sts last year, we could easily afford to give this much up if Tatar's a guy in our long term plans.
They moved out a pick that will likely be the lowest they can get over the next few years, and they pick up a guy who can play top 6 if any of our UFAs end up leaving.

Reactions: BattleBorn

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
No it won't, they'll still have a 1st, two seconds and three thirds next year and we just drafted three 1sts last year, we could easily afford to give this much up if Tatar's a guy in our long term plans.
They moved out a pick that will likely be the lowest they can get over the next few years, and they pick up a guy who can play top 6 if any of our UFAs end up leaving.
They will fall back to earth though.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Why the hell did Vegas do this? Their big thing is that their roster came together at the very beginning and have been playing for each other. Adding people at the deadline dents their miracle on ice aura that they could potentially ride to a cup. Also Tatar isn't a top 6 winger on that team.

Should have kept the picks 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad