Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The picks being in later years is actually a bigger issue... When you're at the top of the league the best you can do is stay even next year. Likely that 2nd is a better pick next year than it is this year.
Edited out misinformation

Here's the Wiki Entry:
Selection order and draft lottery
The selection order in the NHL Entry Draft is determined by a combination of lottery, regular season standing, and playoff results. While teams are permitted to trade draft picks both during the draft and prior to it (sometimes several years prior), in all cases, the selection order of the draft picks is based on the original holder of the pick, not a team which may have acquired the pick via a trade or other means.[5][6] The order of picks discussed in this section always references the original team.
The basic order of the NHL Entry Draft is determined based on the standings of the teams in the previous season. As with the other major sports leagues, the basic draft order is intended to favour the teams with the weakest performance who presumably need the most improvement in their roster to compete with the other teams. Subject to the results of the NHL Draft Lottery (discussed below), the teams pick in the same order each round, with each team getting one pick per round. The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[7]
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)
The number of teams in the second and third group depends on whether the Conference finalists also won their division. The teams in each group (other than the Stanley Cup winner and runner up) are ordered within that group based on their point totals in the preceding regular season (with the lowest point total picking first). Tie-breakers are governed by the same rules used to determine ties in the regular season standings. The order of picks 1–15 may change during the first round of the draft based on the results of the NHL Draft lottery. In the subsequent rounds, the basic order based on point totals is used.[6]
When teams lose their rights to a first-round draft choice, because that player was not signed to a contract and consequently re-entered the entry draft or became an unrestricted free agent, they are awarded a compensatory draft pick. This selection will be the same numerical choice as the first round draft pick who was not signed, but in the second round. For example, if a team cannot sign the seventh overall first round draft choice, it will receive the seventh pick in the second round of the next draft as compensation.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
That Vegas first round pick isn’t going to be a high one, but still a good deal for Detroit, I don’t think it’s an atrocious deal for Vegas though,

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
problem is the vegas 1st rounder will be like 30th. and how many good players come out that high? if this was a top 15 pick maybe I'd think its an overpayment but now vegas has 3 solid lines on a pick they didn't need anyways

I'm not putting any money down on Vegas pick being 30th. That's cup finalist pick.

Anyway, regardless where the picks land, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd is a no brainer in my mind.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Seems like a lot considering what other players have gotten. I like Tatar though. Vegas will be better now for it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Wow.. I guess Vegas had so many picks they could afford a move like this, but there's no question it's too much.

GMGM showing he isn't exactly a wizard with these TDL moves.

Buut it's still good for Vegas to get players with term. You just never know who they're able to re-sign and who falls back next year. Tatar could be a guy in the future who steps up when needed. So i can definitely see why the move was made.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Wow that’s insane overpayment for a player of Tatars caliber. Way too much
Maybe but Tatar is really fun to watch, Vegas fans will enjoy him.He is shifty and very slick.After the draft you will have forgotten what you paid for him.He makes your team better now and is not a rental.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Perfect replacement for Perron should he leave for big $$$. He comes with a big price tag and they paid a lot for the term, but the picks are staggered over 4 drafts. Speaking of staggering after 4 drafts...

On one hand, you guys say Vegas won't keep rolling like this forever with Smith, Perron, Karlsson etc having career years and the offense will dry up. On the other, you criticize them for adding scoring depth for years.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I would of targeted a D imo if I was Vegas. Especially with what they gave up you have to assume they would of gotten a decent one

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
lol what an overpayment!! Vegas didn't even need to do a damn thing at the deadline. They are atop of the West as an expansion team ffs lmao. That 2019 pick is gonna sting when the Knights fall back down to earth next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad