Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm surprised. Tatar doesn't have a huge body of playoffs experience to go by, and I was even kind of wondering if he'll end up under 40 points for the first time in his regular season career. He had a very disappointing start this season, maybe the worst start of any player on the team.

This should be good for him though. Hopefully he'll tear it up for Vegas.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Tatar will thrive on a good team IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if he cracks 30 goals in one of the next few seasons as he's averaged 24 goals per 82 games in Detroit on a crap team with crap defensemen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Red Wings haven't made 2 picks in the 1st round of the draft since 1978, and that was the only other time they did so.

Reactions: Voight

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe but Tatar is really fun to watch, Vegas fans will enjoy him.He is shifty and very slick.After the draft you will have forgotten what you paid for him.He makes your team better now and is not a rental.

I know he is a great player, I just feel that the price we paid was a little steep. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us though. I do like how we will have him long term and he will definitely add to our depth.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Couldn't Green still be traded, but he just can't play in the playoffs? If so, the Oilers should still be interested, and they aren't making the playoffs, but if they can extend him he'd be a great fit as a top-4 Dman and PP QB. But maybe I'm wrong about trades after the deadline and it's the rules for something else like waivers, I'm not sure.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Couldn't Green still be traded, but he just can't play in the playoffs? If so, the Oilers should still be interested, and they aren't making the playoffs, but if they can extend him he'd be a great fit as a top-4 Dman and PP QB. But maybe I'm wrong about trades after the deadline and it's the rules for something else like waivers, I'm not sure.
You’re correct. Any player added to a team post deadline is ineligible for the playoffs. Trades can still happen however.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
He's had 25+ goals 2 of the past 4 seasons, and when he hits 20 this year that will be 20 goal seasons in the past 4 years. On a Detroit team that's averaging about 20th in offense, with a garbage PP, and garbage defenseman.

5 million for a 25+ goal scorer who's 27 is NOT a bad contract by any means. That being said, I think it is a bit of overpayment. A 1st and 3rd, or a solid prospect and a 2nd is what he should have returned. Everybody pretty much wins.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why is this considered what a haul for a guy with a 5.3 caphit and yet the Brassard trade a failure.

1st, 3rd, recent 2nd rounder for 1.3 years of Brassard seems to be a steal compared to what Holland did here. Seems to be a lot of narrative going on and a little bit less thinking.

Probably brassard is considered a player that helps and tatar isnt.

Im not sure very many people here would say they are equal the way you have attempted to do here

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He's had 25+ goals 2 of the past 4 seasons, and when he hits 20 this year that will be 20 goal seasons in the past 4 years. On a Detroit team that's averaging about 20th in offense, with a garbage PP, and garbage defenseman.

5 million for a 25+ goal scorer who's 27 is NOT a bad contract by any means. That being said, I think it is a bit of overpayment. A 1st and 3rd, or a solid prospect and a 2nd is what he should have returned. Everybody pretty much wins.

Its certainly a contract i would be sick about on my team...

Im sure we can find other contracts just as bad... and yes id be sick about them on my team too

The matt belesky trade made me sick

Pointing out that there are other bad contracts doesnt make contract good.

Teams will continue to buyout many deals every year because there continues to be multiple bad contracts out there

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Green has a ntc he'd have to waive, and i can't really imagine anyone going to play for Edmonton on purpose...

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Ill replaced Perron or Nel next year....

late 1st in a crap draft...a 2nd rounder...

not much for a very decent Wingers...

good moves by both teams in my book.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
People are a bit out of touch with player value. This is the price of a 20 - 25 goal scoring forward signed long term. It's not like the picks are high considering how good Vegas is. I think they can afford to give up a few picks considering how many they stockpiled from the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad