Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CHI/TOR] Robin Lehner, Dzierkals to VGK, M. Subban, S. Demin, 2020 2nd to CHI, 2020 5th to TOR

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I like Lehner, but th is trade feels like Chicago saying "screw you" to him and sending him somewhere he won't get to play, despite the nothing return. Have to think several teams would've beaten this offer. Keeping him wouldve beaten this offer. 3 teams in 3 years have walked away from him despite him playing extremely well. Either he's intolerable to deal with, or his agent is. That's my impression anyway, fwiw.

Reactions: abo9

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why wouldn't the Hawks retain themselves? That's the part I don't get. They had room with all the LTIR they have no?

They did. The retained the maximum and then the Leafs retained 44% of the sum on their cap and got a pick for that .

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
All it cost was a 5th? That can't be right, can it?

Or did Toronto just want to ****block Carolina?

I never even entertained the idea of Lehner because of his 5m cap hit.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Dave Prior, our goalie coach, was high on Subban due to his athletic play and they felt like he had really been given a chance in the NHL. They got him off waivers in yr one when they were still thinking they were a normal expansion team (having traded their other #2 for picks earlier). He's been given plenty of chances, but has only proven to be mediocre at best and flat unreliable.

It's good if a goalie is athletic but weight is much more important. In the first place a goalie should be calm, once athletic moves start the chances for a save decrease. Very important is to have good groins and to know how to build them up, Subban was weak on it and obviously they couldn't teach him..

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Ok cool

But you telling me that Toronto spent the day on math and acquiring a 5th round pick instead of adding pieces to compete or trading Barrier away?

What a wasted season and terrible Barrie trade

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
It's good if a goalie is athletic but weight is much more important. In the first place a goalie should be calm, once athletic moves start the chances for a save decrease. Very important is to have good groins and to know how to build them up, Subban was weak on it and obviously they couldn't teach him..

Plus he was injured a lot!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm now noticing that Carolina should have jumped on Lehner but ended up with F/D instead.

Reactions: abo9

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Why wouldn't the Hawks retain themselves? That's the part I don't get. They had room with all the LTIR they have no?

Because Toronto had the prospect (Dzierkals) Vegas was willing to give up a 5th for if someone ate some of Lehner's salary.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Lol at the ppl complaining why the leafs got a 5th. Leafs legit got an extra pick for absolutely nothing.... Now we got 10picks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad